The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 minute ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

This is as flip flopping as Iv ever seen you Alf. Let's take it down a couple gears. 

I'm a fish out of water. :lol:  If Tanev got us Landeskog, and a good chance in the coming draft lottery (netting us first overall - Patrick) don't we become a vastly better team?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'm a fish out of water. :lol:  If Tanev got us Landeskog, and a good chance in the coming draft lottery (netting us first overall - Patrick) don't we become a vastly better team?

Yeah, no way I'd ever want to trade Tanev - ever. Unless he got us something more than he's worth!

I'd probably deal him for Landeskog, but then we're right back to square one with how the right side of our D corps looks.

I'm flip-flopping as bad as you Alf.

21 hours ago, nzan said:

Yeah, no way I'd ever want to trade Tanev - ever. Unless he got us something more than he's worth!

I'd probably deal him for Landeskog, but then we're right back to square one with how the right side of our D corps looks.

I'm flip-flopping as bad as you Alf.

It's okay.  Embrace the "fish out of water" dance.  

If a trade was to happen between Buffalo and the Canucks

It shouldn't be anything less than

Tanev for Kane and Buffalo's 2017 1st

Reason being Kane carries a lot of risk

Either way Buffalo is stronger with Tanev

Vancouver weaker without him

If Buffalo balks, you can add Etem

But really...the Canucks still pass

Sorry....wrong forum guys.....Alf and CTD pulled me off course......mods can move if you wish....sorry guys

Edited by janisahockeynut

3 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Knights season ticket holder here.

Raslovic (Jets prospect) seems to be coming over to the Knights, atleast from what I heard. He should be very good for the Knights.

Olli is not ready however. Putting him in the NHL would be a huge mistake imo. Watching every Knights game last year, there were ups and downs for sure, but the ups were terrific. Some times last year however, Mete became the Knights' best defender when Olli played a bit soft and lackadaisical. 

I am calling this right now per your bottom line, Olli will score less points next year, but do not freak out. Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk all scored at elite paces last year. Without atleast Marner and Dvorak the Knights won't be the same offensively. Imagine if you took Patrick Kane away from the Hawks- thats what it is going to be like without Marner.

This however might provide an opportunity for Olli. Marner isn't going to be there to run the PP anymore. That is on Juolevi now. 

Overall I really like this pick. I was advocating heavily for Olli over Tkachuk and glad we drafted him. He reminds me of a smoother skating Olli Maatta when he used to play for the Knights. I see him as a lower end #1, high end #2 jack of all trades in the NHL. 

This is great info, thanks!

The "soft and lackadaisical" part sure doesn't thrill me...

I was surprised when Deniro said he didn't play any first power play...did he play on the second unit then, or not at all?

And I'm interested from your point of view; why did YOU want Juolevi rather than Tkachuk...do you not expect Matthew to become a Keith?

Cheers.

20 minutes ago, nzan said:

I was surprised when Deniro said he didn't play any first power play...did he play on the second unit then, or not at all?

And I'm interested from your point of view; why did YOU want Juolevi rather than Tkachuk...do you not expect Matthew to become a Keith?

Cheers.

He did play on the first unit actually, however their powerplay revolved around Marner being on the point and making plays.

I think he'll have a bigger role now that Marner is gone.

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He did play on the first unit actually, however their powerplay revolved around Marner being on the point and making plays.

One would imagine.

I'm in London all the time...gonna have to get to a couple games finally this year and see for myself

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly this. London ran the PP through Marner on the right point last year where he would try to thread the needle to Berisha on the left side, find Dvorak in front, or Tkachuk on the right boards. Very similar to how Ottawa runs their PP through Karlsson. Juolevi's role on the PP was limited last year to basically retrieve puck, and A) Find Marner, or B ) if Dvorak was in front screening, shoot through traffic. I rekon Juolevi will get alot of PP points this years if they run a more traditional PP with Juolevi acting as the primary puck mover.

9 hours ago, nzan said:

Cheers.

The soft and lackadaisical part didn't happen to the point to where it was a concern by any means, it just happened a few games here and there. Olli will find more consistency I am sure.

Although Matthew Tkachuk did have an absolutely exceptional Memorial Cup and Playoff run (believe he was 2nd in MVP voting in those 2 tournaments behind Marner) I wasn't really too impressed with his skating at all, and his creativity. 

If I would have to rank them, Marner was definitely the driver of the line. Dvorak was the secondary option, and imo Dvorak is more skilled than Tkachuk. Dvorak is kind of that Toews while Marner is Kane. People often highly underrate Dvorak's contributions when he was one of the best faceoff men in the OHL and was very good defensively while being elite offensively.

Tkachuk didn't really kill penalties to the extent that both Marner/Dvorak did either. I just think that the creativity/imagination isn't there. Maybe he was limited because Marner always had the puck and I might be wrong, I just think that the skating and creativity might limit him to being a "complimentary" or "good" first line LW'er who can't drive a line while I believe Juolevi can end up anywhere in the 15-35 range in terms of defensemen rankings in the NHL. I would take the low end #1/high end # 2 defenseman over complimentary first line winger anyday.

That being said, Tkachuk will be a great fit in Calgary because he has a similar setup in London, where Gaudreau is Marner, and Monahan is Dvorak. We just don't have similar players which is why Juolevi is a much better fit for us.

• Upvote 2

how long have you been steady at Knights games? since Perry days?

who have you liked most in those years? you seem to feel like Marner's game could play out even as spectacularly as Kane's, that's pretty impressive. and perhaps Juolevi as good (or even better?!) than Maata?

and being a big Bo fan...did he look as good in junior as Perry? any chance he could slowly rise to that level of player in the same way Perry slowly became a superstar?

14 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Knights season ticket holder here.

Raslovic (Jets prospect) seems to be coming over to the Knights, atleast from what I heard. He should be very good for the Knights.

Olli is not ready however. Putting him in the NHL would be a huge mistake imo. Watching every Knights game last year, there were ups and downs for sure, but the ups were terrific. Some times last year however, Mete became the Knights' best defender when Olli played a bit soft and lackadaisical. 

I am calling this right now per your bottom line, Olli will score less points next year, but do not freak out. Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk all scored at elite paces last year. Without atleast Marner and Dvorak the Knights won't be the same offensively. Imagine if you took Patrick Kane away from the Hawks- thats what it is going to be like without Marner.

This however might provide an opportunity for Olli. Marner isn't going to be there to run the PP anymore. That is on Juolevi now. 

Overall I really like this pick. I was advocating heavily for Olli over Tkachuk and glad we drafted him. He reminds me of a smoother skating Olli Maatta when he used to play for the Knights. I see him as a lower end #1, high end #2 jack of all trades in the NHL. 

P Kane scored A LOT more with the Knights than Marner, didn't he?  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

P Kane scored A LOT more with the Knights than Marner, didn't he?  

Yes he did, I was just comparing their impact on the Knights. I only moved to London near the end of Kane's time with the Knights, and from what I remember Kane and Marner are very similar to me. Kane has a better shot and is faster, Marner PKs and plays with more grit. Kane obviously being the better player though.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Yes he did, I was just comparing their impact on the Knights. I only moved to London near the end of Kane's time with the Knights, and from what I remember Kane and Marner are very similar to me. Kane has a better shot and is faster, Marner PKs and plays with more grit. Kane obviously being the better player though.

For junior hockey you live in its Hotbed. There are so many teams in such a small area.  It's good to have your first hand accounts.  Is there a top prospect on the Knights for the 2017 draft we should keep an eye on?

Just now, Alflives said:

For junior hockey you live in its Hotbed. There are so many teams in such a small area.  It's good to have your first hand accounts.  Is there a top prospect on the Knights for the 2017 draft we should keep an eye on?

Last year I said Cliff Pu, Buffalo snagged him up in the 3rd (?) round, I thought they got a complete steal. imo He is going to see a large increase in offensive usage from his checking role. Pu reminds me of Carl Hagelin.

As for 2017 Eligable I think Robert Thomas is, he is a center, but I don't really see something too impressive there. He might have an amazing offeseason and come into camp and blow everyone away, but he is going to be playing behind Raslovic (likely coming over) and Pu, so his offensive numbers will hurt.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Last year I said Cliff Pu, Buffalo snagged him up in the 3rd (?) round, I thought they got a complete steal. imo He is going to see a large increase in offensive usage from his checking role. Pu reminds me of Carl Haglin

Do you think Pu can deliver?

Being on the front lines should help push him over the top.