The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, nergish said:

Maybe?

We need a young puck wizard, somebody whose skills rub off on the whole team like the Twins, or Bure, or Nazzy did. My pipe dream would be Sam Reinhart. One of the smartest young forwards and best passers in his age bracket. Boeser and Reinhart would be brilliant together.

I don't really want Landeskog though at the price it would take. I still think Bo could easily be our version of Gabe.

Maybe the Sabres want (need) and experienced right shot Dman, like Tanev?  Reinhart for Tanev?

4 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Tkachuk had 107pts in 57 games(1.88ppg) and plays a hard physical game, might surprise some and become the best player taken in the 2016 draft.  I would say it's fair on his part.

And he  benefited a ton from playing with primarily Marner but also Dvorak coming from someone who watched him every game. 

2 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

And he  benefited a ton from playing with primarily Marner but also Dvorak coming from someone who watched him every game. 

Could the same argument that Olli Juolevi played with the same team as Tkachuck as well?

33 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Could the same argument that Olli Juolevi played with the same team as Tkachuck as well?

Of course.

But the reality is that they all helped each other... it was a good nucleus, a good team.

Let's put it this way - Olli's talents will be wasted on our team if we don't surround him with creative players. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, nergish said:

Of course.

But the reality is that they all helped each other... it was a good nucleus, a good team.

Let's put it this way - Olli's talents will be wasted on our team if we don't surround him with creative players. 

Will Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen and Boeser be enough? Or do we need guys who are more skilled/fast/Physical than that?

56 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Will Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen and Boeser be enough? Or do we need guys who are more skilled/fast/Physical than that?

Unless there are some pretty big development surprises, we're probably going to need higher end prospects than them to make a top 6. I'm sure all four of those players will be top 6 talents (though I am iffy on Virtanen), but not Sedin replacements. Boeser probably has the most gamebreaker potential, but that's only one guy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nergish said:

Of course.

In a way you are right, yes. But Marner played a much bigger role than anyone in London's offense. He rushed the puck up the ice, was responsible for zone entries, ran the PP from the right point, acted as the playmaker holding on to the puck, etc. That's why I said he (Tkachuk) was more of the third wheel on that line. Juolevi will likely get the keys to the PP next year if he returns and Marner is gone

Edited by GoBoGo53

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Benning constantly references Juolevi's play in his own end more than anything. His poise with the puck and ability to get it up to the forwards quickly.

That's why he liked him. Defenseman who put up big points in junior are a dime a dozen. Ones that can put up big points while playing a mature responsible game are much harder to find.

3 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Unless there are some pretty big development surprises, we're probably going to need higher end prospects than them to make a top 6. I'm sure all four of those players will be top 6 talents (though I am iffy on Virtanen), but not Sedin replacements. Boeser probably has the most gamebreaker potential, but that's only one guy.

Pretty much this. We'll need somebody with a little more finesse. But few teams have a Demko in their pipeline, so we make up for it in other ways.

I disagree about Jake though. He will be a top 6 forward and a solid one. He just isn't the guy we want making plays with Olli, it's not his game. Jake scores garbage goals and hits like a truck. He's a lone wolf, he ain't cut out for the cycle game.

Hope he proves me wrong though, I would love to have Jake on the PP based on his shot and potential netfront presence alone. Olli on the backend is picture perfect regardless.

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe the Sabres want (need) and experienced right shot Dman, like Tanev?  Reinhart for Tanev?

After the rookie season Reinhart had there is not a chance in he** they are moving him for a over rated Tanev.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

After the rookie season Reinhart had there is not a chance in he** they are moving him for a over rated Tanev.

While I do agree that Tanev is slightly over rated on these boards, you just never know... Especially with the value of defencemen in the current NHL. 

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

While I do agree that Tanev is slightly over rated on these boards, you just never know... Especially with the value of defencemen in the current NHL. 

And what value is that? Hall? Or McCann and a 2nd?

7 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

That's kind of my point with the, 'you never know' statement.  Who would have guessed the value on either of those trades?  

I took your post to mean the value was high due to the Hall trade. But yes, I agree in that case; value is not set by the market based on the last trade. The other team would have to have particular interest to continue with a deal that required a large return, as Edmonton did with Hall, where clearly Benning would have backed out of a Gudbranson deal if they started asking after Horvat.

3 hours ago, Forever Bure said:

Keep in mind that Guddy's contract is up soon and he's looking for a huge raise. Reinhart is still really cheap for the next couple of years. Two very different situations

Absolutely. And certainly with the Hall trade, and to a lesser extent the Gudbranson one, not one we'll see again any time soon.

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

I took it to mean the value was high due to the Hall trade. But yes, value is not set by the market based on the last trade. The other team would have to have particular interest to continue with a deal that required a large return, as Edmonton did with Hall, where clearly Benning would have backed out of a Gudbranson deal if they started asking after Horvat.

Absolutely. And certainly with the Hall trade, and to a lesser extent the Gudbranson one, not one we'll see again any time soon.

And we got in on one of those two rare occurrences.  Gotta give JB credit for that deal, right? :)

• Upvote 1