The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 1/8/2017 at 3:03 PM, Gooseberries said:

As of right now OJ appears to be the best D of the top 3 chosen.

Chychrun has made the nhl but is a regular scratch and hasn't impressed me from what I've seen.

Sergachev has a similar ppg as OJ but looked very bad in the WJC imo. Only regerstering 1 pt on a better Russia team.

I'd disagree with that. Still very close between the first 5 D in my opinion. 

- I think you have to put Chychrun ahead of the others because he is in the NHL - whether he should be is debatable - playing decent. 

- I think McAvoy was the best defenceman at the WJHC and is having a solid year at BU. He looks like he's the most NHL ready out of the four guys who aren't in the NHL.

- Sergachev, Juolevi and Bean are all playing well in junior and had what I'd call, underwhelming WJHC.

If we did the draft today, I think I take McAvoy out of those 5 defenceman 

33 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

I'd disagree with that. Still very close between the first 5 D in my opinion. 

- I think you have to put Chychrun ahead of the others because he is in the NHL - whether he should be is debatable - playing decent. 

- I think McAvoy was the best defenceman at the WJHC and is having a solid year at BU. He looks like he's the most NHL ready out of the four guys who aren't in the NHL.

- Sergachev, Juolevi and Bean are all playing well in junior and had what I'd call, underwhelming WJHC.

If we did the draft today, I think I take McAvoy out of those 5 defenceman 

More NHL ready/ready body but lower ceiling.

I wouldn't.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

More NHL ready/ready body but lower ceiling.

I wouldn't.

First off, I really like Olli Juolevi. I think he'll turn out to be a great player for us. However, I hope I don't sound too straightforward by saying this, but I am genuinely interested in how much you have seen McAvoy play.

Personally, I think McAvoy is a REALLY good player, and I really believe he'd be ranked as a top 2 defenseman to pick from in a 2016 NHL re-draft based on this +1 season so far. I might even have him ranked above Juolevi. 

Not only is he good at breaking up plays and at keeping the puck in the offensive zone, on the ice you can see that when he's patrolling the blue line, he completely controls the play on the backend. Keller and his linemates can buzz around all they want, but McAvoy is really the only defenseman on that team that can not only keep up with them, but jump in and take control on the play. If we want to talk about hockey sense, McAvoy definitely has it himself. Plus his size is already NHL ready. 

• Upvote 3

On 1/8/2017 at 5:48 PM, ihaveyuidonttouchme said:

shot a ton 

some good defensive moments. no real mistakes 

good game to watch 

This is nuts, you can really see Juolevi is fired up from the WJC's. Obviously I don't expect 11 shots per game, but I'm really liking what I see so far. Personally I really think Juolevi might be able to become a player that provides flawless shutdown defense against top pairings while being able to score 40 points a season in his prime. Loved seeing his passion for the game during the WJCs as well. 

Edited by suitup

10 minutes ago, suitup said:

This is nuts, you can really see Juolevi is fired up from the WJC's. Obviously I don't expect 11 shots per game, but I'm really liking what I see so far. Personally I really think Juolevi might be able to become a player that provides flawless shutdown defense against top pairings while being able to score 40 points a game in his prime. Loved seeing his passion for the game during the WJCs as well. 

It took Ovechkin 880 games to reach 1000 points. At 40 points a game, it'd only take Juolevi 25 games to reach 1000 points. Too bad though, CDC would probably still call him a bust :P

• Upvote 2

Just now, Watermelons said:

It took Ovechkin 880 games to reach 1000 points. At 40 points a game, it'd only take Juolevi 25 games to reach 1000 points. Too bad though, CDC would probably still call him a bust :P

LOL. WELL ANYTHING LESS AND HE'S A BUST.

Thanks for catching that, I'm going to fix that now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, suitup said:

First off, I really like Olli Juolevi. I think he'll turn out to be a great player for us. However, I hope I don't sound too straightforward by saying this, but I am genuinely interested in how much you have seen McAvoy play.

Personally, I think McAvoy is a REALLY good player, and I really believe he'd be ranked as a top 2 defenseman to pick from in a 2016 NHL re-draft based on this +1 season so far. I might even have him ranked above Juolevi. 

Not only is he good at breaking up plays and at keeping the puck in the offensive zone, on the ice you can see that when he's patrolling the blue line, he completely controls the play on the backend. Keller and his linemates can buzz around all they want, but McAvoy is really the only defenseman on that team that can not only keep up with them, but jump in and take control on the play. If we want to talk about hockey sense, McAvoy definitely has it himself. Plus his size is already NHL ready. 

Mac will likely be a very solid top 4 D. I don't think he's dynamic enough at this point to point to him being picked ahead of the other guys. 

Likely safer than but lower ceiling vs Sergachev. Not as athletic as Chychrun. Not as smooth or cerebral as OJ.

He may very well pass some of those guys but if in going out on a limb with a guess, I'd predict him as a solid 2 way #3 or 4 D as his ceiling. 

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, suitup said:

Yeah McAvoy is a future top 2 D.  He ripped the WJC apart,  I have to agree +1 year. He could very well be leading the class of D in 2016.  Smart, size and just as offensively gifted.  Really good pick for the bruins.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Mac will likely be a very solid top 4 D. I don't think he's dynamic enough at this point to point to him being picked ahead of the other guys. 

Likely safer than but lower ceiling vs Sergachev. Not as athletic as Chychrun. Not as smooth or cerebral as OJ.

He may very well pass some of those guys but if in going out on a limb with a guess, I'd predict him as a solid 2 way #3 or 4 D as his ceiling. 

If you don't mind me asking, where are you basing this off of though? Personally I think McAvoy has a pretty dynamic skillset himself.

Honestly, I haven't been all that impressed with Chyrchun and it's not because of his stats either. Sure he's got great athleticism, but is that "dynamic" enough to make him a better player than McAvoy? Bogosian is a very athletic specimen himself, and it seems like he's only gotten so far.

Sergachev is basically a lottery with a dynamic skillset, but I suppose the question is whether it translates to the NHL, and if you think that it will, then you could also make the case that Sergachev is better than Juolevi as well. 

As for OJ, I think his hockey sense is definitely undoubtedly very good, but I personally think McAvoy isn't very far behind by next year who knows? Maybe not even behind at all. McAvoy is also better built and more physical. Whether the physical side is enough to edge out OJ that's up to you to decide. 

McAvoy's skillset is seriously underrated. I'm not sure if you've seen any BU games but he plays a huge role in not only cleaning up the mess in the defensive zone, but as well as transitioning it up ice so BU's top line with Keller and Harper can work their magic. For a lot of BU's defenseman, that's already quite a lot to ask for. But for McAvoy, it doesn't stop there. I have seen him first hand keep the puck in the offensive zone like there's no tomorrow even after it seemed like the play died and was well on its way up ice. While BU's top line is buzzing around, I have seen Keller, Harper, pass back to the blueline more often only when McAvoy is on because they know he can actually keep up and get in on the play. Whether it's on the powerplay or full strength, I have seen McAvoy rip apart other teams just by being able to pass it cross ice.

You know who else besides me who knows this? Our very own Adam Gaudette who's team I saw with front row seats, hemmed in their own zone for minutes simply because McAvoy and co. sustained so much pressure. I still remember this game, Northeastern lost 3-0. Of the 3 goals, McAvoy only had one assist, but I can assure you that he had everything to do with at least 2 on the night, if not all three of them simply because the puck got passed around more than a joint later that night at a college party before it went to the back of the net. 

Honestly, I think he has as much potential to becoming a top pairing defenseman as any other defenseman in that draft based on what we've seen so far. 

• Upvote 2

Since we've shifted briefly to McAvoy and the Terriers, if anyone was wondering, I also got a chance to watch a lot of Fabbro play this season as well. Personally, I was quite underwhelmed. I thought that he might be dominating out there, but the guy could barely get the puck out of the zone.

Don't get me wrong, he's not all bad. I thought he was really good at breaking up plays in his own zone, but once he had it, he tried to get rid of it like it was hot potato. Sometimes it seemed like he didn't even bother to look to make the pass or the clearance. This often led to turnovers and sometimes even pucks being stuck in his own skates for some reason. However, he'd also have flashes here and there to remind you why he was picked in the first round. Good mobility, and you can see he's still getting used to the game. I expected a little more offensive flair, but he's young and has time on his side for now. 

29 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Impossible

I didn't think it would've been possible either. But by the grace of a higher power, we have been truly blessed with this miracle. 

Before this, I had no idea that 18, 19, 20, and even dare I say, 21 year olds could progress! 

But not you though Sean, you've clearly been cursed as you've been regressing this season. Maybe you should try to bless your food before every meal or something.

But don't worry about being sentenced to hockey hell, you've already played for the Calgary Flames. ;) Can't be much worse than that. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, suitup said:

But not you though Sean, you've clearly been cursed as you've been regressing this season. Maybe you should try to bless your food before every meal or something.

Mostly because that little b**ch Johnny can't handle a couple slashes to the hand. I'd have 30 and 30 by now if not for that.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

shouldve drafted tkachuk imagine him with Bo and Baer

Okay and who would be your #1D in a couple years? That's what I thought. Forwards are easier to get than defenseman.

We have a Tkachuk in Virtanen albeit Tkachuk is better right now but JV has that potential.