The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I've accused the poster of making these types of comments before,  no sources, acting like they have an inside scoop etc.. should be a bannable offense imo.  But the sheep keep following so nothing will be done

You sir should stay off forums if you are going to be assuming everything you read is true....

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It's not like we even had a chance to draft Heiskanen anyways, so I don't really understand the need to compare the two. Juolevi is also a rookie in a league that Heiskanen played in all last season as well, so hard to compare.

Can we not just say both are having good seasons and move on?

Because Heiskenan is a great measuring stick for OJ.  Both play D, Both play in the same league, both are recent high draft picks and very young.  Heiskanen is by all measure predicted to be a #1 top pairing defenseman which we'd all love Juolevi to turn into.  Measuring them against each other helps us predict what kind of player OJ could turn into.  

It's not a knock against Juolevi, we had no chance of drafting Heiskanen. Almost everyone is excited about the steps Juolevi has taken this year, defensively and especially offensively.  Heiskanen is just the measuring stick right now.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

if someone is making up quotes about a player being sick, what else are they making up?? (maybe im dumb here? was it supposed to be obvious that he wasnt sick and it was being made up?)

Rob quotes a lot of his "sources", strangely enough they all say great things about Canucks prospects and bad things about the players the Canucks passed on ala Tkachuk. Hmm... :huh:

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I've accused the poster of making these types of comments before,  no sources, acting like they have an inside scoop etc.. should be a bannable offense imo.  But the sheep keep following so nothing will be done

So that poster straight up made up a quote and lied about him having the flu.

Should lose all credibility as far as I'm concerned. Pathetic and predictable stuff right there.

Regarding Juolevi, another healthy scratch is extremely disappointing and I wonder if it was an attitude issue popping back up again? That fact that they wanted to try something else aka try to improve the team and Juolevi was the odd man out is a red flag for me personally. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Should lose all credibility as far as I'm concerned. Pathetic and predictable stuff right there.

Regarding Juolevi, another healthy scratch is extremely disappointing and I wonder if it was an attitude issue popping back up again? That fact that they wanted to try something else aka try to improve the team and Juolevi was the odd man out is a red flag for me personally. 

Lol it was rob zepp wasn't it? The guy who claimed he was actually rob zepp... He lost all credibility in my book a long time ago. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

Rob quotes a lot of his "sources", strangely enough they all say great things about Canucks prospects and bad things about the players the Canucks passed on ala Tkachuk. Hmm... :huh:

not good.  Ive seen his stuff off and on, and i decided to believe the quote coz I thought he had some credibility (i haven been paying that close attention)..to the point where I got grumpy with that @R.Dahlin26 fellow for continuously challenging him (sorry..)  

To me this (completely fabricating stuff) is worse than people trolling or constantly stating negative opinions....Ive never used the ignore feature before but this kind of stuff certainly warrants that...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

A healthy scratch is extremely disappointing? That's a red flag for you? What a short sided view of a player. Yeah don't look at the body of work of the season why would that make any sense right. Who else was scratched for a couple games this season hmmmm oh yeah Brock Boeser. That must be a red flag then as well. Or the team is struggling and maybe Juolevi looks tired or maybe he wants to light a fire under his butt. Certainly is no red flag in my book.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Darius71 said:

not good.  Ive seen his stuff off and on, and i decided to believe the quote coz I thought he had some credibility (i haven been paying that close attention)..to the point where I got grumpy with that @R.Dahlin26 fellow for continuously challenging him (sorry..)  

To me this (completely fabricating stuff) is worse than people trolling or constantly stating negative opinions....Ive never used the ignore feature before but this kind of stuff certainly warrants that...

I think Rob is just a guy that bleeds blue and green to the point where it clouds his judgement and he can't handle criticism directed towards any Canuck. I know quite a few fans like this who will snap back at you if you say someone on the other team is better or you point out the weaknesses in a player. I think it's just the nature of their fandom.

They cannot handle an honest conversation and I think this was another attempt to deflect any criticism coming Juolevi's way. Good intentions to protect a young player from criticism but clearly badly executed.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ohmy said:

A healthy scratch is extremely disappointing? That's a red flag for you? What a short sided view of a player. Yeah don't look at the body of work of the season why would that make any sense right. Who else was scratched for a couple games this season hmmmm oh yeah Brock Boeser. That must be a red flag then as well. Or the team is struggling and maybe Juolevi looks tired or maybe he wants to light a fire under his butt. Certainly is no red flag in my book.

Yes, it is disappointing for me to see one of our top prospects healthy scratched for consecutive games. At this point in time, there should be zero reasons for him to even be in the realm of healthy scratch consideration. If he can't even hold a position at the Liiga level, if he can't even be playing 25+ mins at this level how can you possibly see him at the NHL level anytime soon? How long will it take for him to be ready?

It just adds to the frustration of draft day, with the players who we passed on who are excelling at the NHL level.

Just now, Toews said:

I think Rob is just a guy that bleeds blue and green to the point where it clouds his judgement and he can't handle criticism directed towards any Canuck. I know quite a few fans like this who will snap back at you if you say someone on the other team is better or you point out the weaknesses in a player. I think it's just the nature of their fandom.

They cannot handle an honest conversation and I think this was another attempt to deflect any criticism coming Juolevi's way. Good intentions to protect a young player from criticism but clearly badly executed.

Makes sense , Toews. But geeeeez, a lot of us bleed the colors but dont fabricate stuff ...i hope it was a misunderstanding but everything that the poster says from now on will be highly questionable in my mind. 

Back to Juolevi - i hope this fires him up!

Just now, R.Dahlin26 said:

Yes, it is disappointing for me to see one of our top prospects healthy scratched for consecutive games. At this point in time, there should be zero reasons for him to even be in the realm of healthy scratch consideration. If he can't even hold a position at the Liiga level, if he can't even be playing 25+ mins at this level how can you possibly see him at the NHL level anytime soon? How long will it take for him to be ready?

It just adds to the frustration of draft day, with the players who we passed on who are excelling at the NHL level.

Do you want to see him healthy scratched? No l will agree with that. We don't know the reasoning nor should it be a huge issue. He was never gonna play 25+ min a night. Tallinder is there minute muncher and hence why Juolevi is 2nd pairing. It is downright impressive the points he is putting up playing 18+ min a night.  We can all spin it however we want and complain about prospect A B or C. Fact is Juolevi is one of the best D prospects we have had ever maybe. From what I have watched gets me excited. Without comparing to other prospects which part of his game makes you worry about his future?

1 minute ago, ohmy said:

Do you want to see him healthy scratched? No l will agree with that. We don't know the reasoning nor should it be a huge issue. He was never gonna play 25+ min a night. Tallinder is there minute muncher and hence why Juolevi is 2nd pairing. It is downright impressive the points he is putting up playing 18+ min a night.  We can all spin it however we want and complain about prospect A B or C. Fact is Juolevi is one of the best D prospects we have had ever maybe. From what I have watched gets me excited. Without comparing to other prospects which part of his game makes you worry about his future?

It's his compete level shift to shift, and overall intensity that I fear with this prospect. I do feel like he has improved defensively somewhat but the most important thing is to improve his foot speed. IMO he was beaten wide way too many times from my viewings.

Add to the fact there has been reported conditioning issues with him and rumoured attitude issues does not help.

And indeed he does have impressive qualities that can make you excited, like his playmaking and vision. When he plays at his best( Game against Cezch in WJC) I have given him praise.

Why was he never going to play 25 minutes a night? If he was tracking like a top pairing d-man he should easily be playing at least 24 minutes a night and should not ever be scratched unless if it's because of an injury. 

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

He's not even a die hard Canucks fan, he's a Hurricanes fan I think?  and there was one other team he followed closer but I forget which one.  He comes here, lays down a bunch of over-optimistic and homerish posts to collect his reputation points

If it was just one game I would agree with you but it's back to back games.  It's only "extremely disappointing" if you had high expectations for him as a player, for those who have lowered expectations it is simply just "disappointing".  And you can not disagree with the fact that it is at least, disappointing

Well before I was disappointed I would like to know what the coach is saying. Like I said to Rasmus I dont like the fact he is scratched but he has had such a great year I am not that bothered by it. I actually expect him to be scratched a few times when he comes to the NHL. I guess I am just more of a big picture guy and going off what I have seen for the last couple years. The only time I have actually been disappointed was at the 2nd world juniors. To me he looked disjointed in that tournament but then made up for it in this tournament where he was arguably the Finns best D. What would disappoint me is when he comes back from the scratch if he ends up playing poorly. I dont think that will happen but we will see. I know we can all agree we want him to do well because we need him to be a big part of the Canucks future. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, The 5th Line said:

He's not even a die hard Canucks fan, he's a Hurricanes fan I think?  and there was one other team he followed closer but I forget which one.  He comes here, lays down a bunch of over-optimistic and homerish posts to collect his reputation points

If it was just one game I would agree with you but it's back to back games.  It's only "extremely disappointing" if you had high expectations for him as a player, for those who have lowered expectations it is simply just "disappointing".  And you can not disagree with the fact that it is at least, disappointing

Panthers I think it was. I never really believed that to be honest.

Also what's wrong with admitting that Heiskanen is the better prospect right now? Just about every scouting service has Heiskanen as being better. He is a blue chip prospect and it's far from a shame for Juolevi to be compared to him or to be placed behind him. 

Its useful to have another top talent in the league so that we can put Juolevi's production and role under context. Not many good D have come out of Liiga so we don't really have a great sample size.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

It's his compete level shift to shift, and overall intensity that I fear with this prospect. I do feel like he has improved defensively somewhat but the most important thing is to improve his foot speed. IMO he was beaten wide way too many times from my viewings.

Add to the fact there has been reported conditioning issues with him and rumoured attitude issues does not help.

And indeed he does have impressive qualities that can make you excited, like his playmaking and vision. When he plays at his best( Game against Cezch in WJC) I have given him praise.

Why was he never going to play 25 minutes a night? If he was tracking like a top pairing d-man he should easily be playing at least 24 minutes a night and should not ever be scratched unless if it's because of an injury. 

I will need to see reports about this as I've heard none of this at all anywhere  in almost 350 pages of talk.  As a prospect coming from Hunters Knight's system there is little to no chance he was not conditioned enough to play.  As well by most accounts he is one of the most humble people on the ice which was well documented in his player profile during his draft year.

As for playing 24-25 minutes a night.  The current TOI leader in the NHL is drew doughty with 21 minutes a game of even strength play and roughly 27 minutes a game of total TOI; and there are in fact only 23 players in the entire NHL playing more than 24 minutes a night.  He is a rookie in a mens league, expecting him to play 24+ minutes a night while discounting the near record breaking rookie season he has had thus far is questionable.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats?category=ICE+TIME&group=1&time=0

Edited by Warhippy