The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

8 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Heiskanen Miro (HIFK)
Honka Julius (Dallas Stars)
Mikkola Niko (Tappara)
Nutivaara Markus (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Kivistö Tommi (Jokerit)
Koivisto Miika (Kärpät)
Pokka Ville (Belleville Senators)
Riikola Juuso (KalPa)

I believe this is the list of defensemen on the team (I found this on hfboards). Only two NHLers on the list.

Actually not a very good looking group.   They didn't invite a few that would, one would think, have been a lot better.   Odd decisions.   Perhaps they have something in mind that no one else can see.   

11 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Heiskanen Miro (HIFK)
Honka Julius (Dallas Stars)
Mikkola Niko (Tappara)
Nutivaara Markus (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Kivistö Tommi (Jokerit)
Koivisto Miika (Kärpät)
Pokka Ville (Belleville Senators)
Riikola Juuso (KalPa)

I believe this is the list of defensemen on the team (I found this on hfboards). Only two NHLers on the list.

GTFO

(chugs a beer) 

What the..? 

(cracks another beer)

Fuuuuu...

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Actually not a very good looking group.   They didn't invite a few that would, one would think, have been a lot better.   Odd decisions.   Perhaps they have something in mind that no one else can see.   

Tanking for Dahlin 

Super obvious

Juolevi is such a weird prospect to watch from afar.  Has all sorts of weird bumps along the way (ice time, scratches, comments) but then turns around and produces... especially in tournaments / playoffs.  When I watched the WJC he looked great - big, rangy, quick, decisive, creative.. almost a step ahead of his forwards in a lot of cases. 

I'm still super optimistic about him - can't wait to see him in camp.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Juolevi is such a weird prospect to watch from afar.  Has all sorts of weird bumps along the way (ice time, scratches, comments) but then turns around and produces... especially in tournaments / playoffs.  When I watched the WJC he looked great - big, rangy, quick, decisive, creative.. almost a step ahead of his forwards in a lot of cases. 

Looking at the Fins choices for Dmen leaves me puzzled to say the least.

Is Juolevi that bad, or are they really that childish? (chugs another beer)

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

For what it is worth, he was more than just fine to watch from closer up.   :lol:   The only "bumps" were imaginary and/or created by bored people on the internet.   He had quite a solid year that had him progressing each and every month to the point of being a top pairing option (and pretty much a mainstay top pairing) in the playoffs where he was at his best of the entire season.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

For what it is worth, he was more than just fine to watch from closer up.   :lol:   The only "bumps" were imaginary and/or created by bored people on the internet.   He had quite a solid year that had him progressing each and every month to the point of being a top pairing option (and pretty much a mainstay top pairing) in the playoffs where he was at his best of the entire season.

Then why the snub? Rips a coach that ends up fired, and then blackballed?

Nut up Finland

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Then why the snub? Rips a coach that ends up fired, and then blackballed?

Nut up Finland

Who knows.   They may have thought he wasn't good enough?    That would be simplest explanation.  However, when you look at the final list one could argue he had better seasons than four of those players for sure and perhaps five so who knows.    

Remember, this wasn't a decision by anyone who matters to his NHL development.   

Just now, luckylager said:

Looking at the Fins choices for Dmen leaves me puzzled to say the least.

Is Juolevi that bad, or are they really that childish? (chugs another beer)

It's totally speculation on my part but I think he's got a bit of an attitude, or at least the reputation of having one.  His style of play is effective but has been called lackadaisical.  Again, I don't think he's a slacker... but maybe has the reputation.  Those are tough to shake in small circles like a national program.  So maybe it's just a chemistry rather than a talent thing.  Or maybe Finland's coaches have their heads up their butts.  He's done enough good things this year that I'll wait till how he looks in camp to reevaluate. 

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yeah, I'm not worried.  It stinks but, whatever.  Finland's loss.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Who knows.   They may have thought he wasn't good enough?    That would be simplest explanation.  However, when you look at the final list one could argue he had better seasons than four of those players for sure and perhaps five so who knows.    

Remember, this wasn't a decision by anyone who matters to his NHL development.   

And that's what kills me about it. Not better than Nobodoniki, Nowherenini, Undraftiemi, Rookstankenti?

Come on Finland. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, luckylager said:

And that's what kills me about it. Not better than Nobodoniki, Nowherenini, Undraftiemi, Rookstankenti?

Come on Finland. 

Not to mention Suicidepassjikit and Screengoalieperpppptikji

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

28 minutes ago, luckylager said:

GTFO

(chugs a beer) 

What the..? 

(cracks another beer)

Fuuuuu...

One of the only explanations I could find was that Pokka is from the same area as the coach, so there could be a familiarity aspect on that one. I don't think it impacts Juolevi very much though since he's right handed. Another thing to consider is Juolevi had less time to make an impression on his coaches than other players as he joined the camp about a week late due to his bronze medal game. I believe he played two games and didn't get any special teams time. 

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

One of the only explanations I could find was that Pokka is from the same area as the coach, so there could be a familiarity aspect on that one. I don't think it impacts Juolevi very much though since he's right handed. Another thing to consider is Juolevi had less time to make an impression on his coaches than other players as he joined the camp about a week late due to his bronze medal game. I believe he played two games and didn't get any special teams time. 

Who knows.   Actually a pretty weak line-up overall (forwards and D).   Apparently they didn't invite a bunch they could have too.   Odd.   Coaches can be that way.  Watch them win gold now.   :lol:

7 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Going to go out on a limb here and say that OJ didn't make the team due to political reasons. 

I'm going to say Juolevi is just worn out. He was scratched after the WJC to get some rest and he just finished up a playoffs where he was logging a ton of minutes. If he made the team, he wouldn't be at 100% so maybe they just wanted to give him a break. He will get his chance to represent Finland eventually.

On 4/29/2018 at 3:20 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Sounds like the typical beer league forward strategy.

"Their job is win the puck battle and make a good, quick first pass to transition to attack and let the fwds drive the play."

In beer leagues, many forwards have the view that the D exist to give them the puck, therefore their is no need for the Coffey's, the Orr's, the Karlsen's, the Bourque's, etc. - defenders who can actually skate the puck out of trouble and then create the play - and why shouldn't they, when often they are far better offensive players than the forwards that they (according to the person I was quoting) should '...win the puck battle and make a good, quick first pass to transition to attack and let the fwds drive the play....'.  The puck should spend its time in the possession of the player who can best drive the play no matter where he lines up for faceoffs - forward or DEFENCE.  Why should Paul Coffey, for instance, have considered it his only purpose in life to move the puck up to Semenko as quickly as possible?

From what I have seen, OJ is a good player but he needs to gain some confidence. He has to want the puck on his stick. Right now, he is playing like a passenger, just wanting to compliment those players around him. Therefore, he usually plays a mistake free game but doesn't end up making big contributions.

I think whenever he showed up to the game, ready take over the game, he did much better and much more noticeable. For example, in 2017-18 WJC.

• Upvote 2