The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Yes I know how many times you've watched him, you say it a lot.  The thing is is that you'll never say anything remotely negative about a prospect and take anything that anyone says that is remotely negative as an insult to the player.  Almost every prospect has something they need to work on, a weakness that that player needs to overcome and it isn't trolling or trying to knock that player down to point these things out.  It's just constructive criticism but for somebody who supposedly watches these players these players so much I don't think I've ever read you write anything remotely negative about a prospect even though they obviously aren't perfect and have weaknesses to their game so it's impossible not to take what you say with a grain of salt because your homerism and bias shines brightly. 

So you should be praised for thinking negatively of our prospects? Anyone who thinks that our prospects will succeed is a Homer. SMRT I am so smart.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

So you should be praised for thinking negatively of our prospects? Anyone who thinks that our prospects will succeed is a Homer. SMRT I am so smart.

I don't even know how to respond to this nonsense. Praised for thinking negatively? No one is asking for praise. 

I hope you were just drunk when you wrote this

On 22/04/2018 at 6:04 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

But can they defend as well as Dobson & Bouchard? Do they translate as top pair guys in the NHL? (In all aspects not just skating and offensive skills) I think people may be sleeping on Bouchard's offense. Pretty impressive numbers and he has good offensive tools/IQ.

You can argue that Dobson and Bouchard are the safer choices. But when you draft in the top 10 you should be looking at BPA - or those who have a high ceiling. Boqvist and Hughes Have elite skating ability and are great puck movers. These aspects are extremely important in today's NHL. 

I feel like people are too caught up in Bouchard's offensive numbers that they overlook the holes in his game, most importantly his skating. At least with Dobson he has offensive upside, defends well, and is a great skater.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I have watched him play probably 100 times (games) and more in development camps.   Skating has always been his number one strength.  I don't see what you see.   Scouts are not seeing it.   Even critical sites like "eliteprospects" and their general dislike of Knights picks and Western NHL prospects laud his skating.   This year for TPS, he skated miles.   I only got to see him live twice but each time he was all over the ice and his turns, right or left, extremely quick.   He was never beat wide but he does have a tendency to worry too much about being caught down the middle (like he doesn't trust his partner) so his distance from the boards is excessive at times - perhaps that is what you see (?).    Wait until camp this year, compare his skating to anyone not named Virtanen and then see if you have same opinion.   

I think the nice thing for OJ is people have kind of forgotten about him.   I don't think people in Vancouver realize how good this player is and how good he is going to be and for a very long time.   

this is why I'd love to see him paired with Tanev next season. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Seems like that may well be the plan, provided he shows well enough.

I sure hope so, he can learn a heck of a lot from Tanev... include some of Tanev's know-how with OJs skill set and we have an actual top pairing D in a season or two. 

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I sure hope so, he can learn a heck of a lot from Tanev... include some of Tanev's know-how with OJs skill set and we have an actual top pairing D in a season or two. 

That pairing would really compliment one another really well. Stecher with Juolevi would be good to see too.  Stech has that slight speed advantage Tanev is lacking.

• Upvote 1

I could see the following pairings (and 8 D) barring a trade, unreal showing from someone on the Comets (Sautner) or FA signing:

Edler / Gudbranson

OJ / Tanev

MDZ / Stecher - Pouliot

Biega

I think Hutton may be traded or waived (I know who will pick him up with his cap hit.  He is still young enough someone may take a chance)  It's beginning to look alot better in my opinion.

Just now, Borvat said:

I could see the following pairings (and 8 D) barring a trade, unreal showing from someone on the Comets (Sautner) or FA signing:

Edler / Gudbranson

OJ / Tanev

MDZ / Stecher - Pouliot

Biega

I think Hutton may be traded or waived (I know who will pick him up with his cap hit.  He is still young enough someone may take a chance)  It's beginning to look alot better in my opinion.

Man seeing it layed out like that is nasty.  That D needs to be rebuilt.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

That pairing would really compliment one another really well. Stecher with Juolevi would be good to see too.  Stech has that slight speed advantage Tanev is lacking.

yup I could see that pairing eventually too. 

2 hours ago, Borvat said:

Edler / Gudbranson

OJ / Tanev

MDZ / Stecher - Pouliot

Biega

It's the same D as last year, but with a rookie OJ and Hutton out. Not sure how that can be viewed as better unless OJ plays lights out.

The D needs real top 2 players. Edler and Gudbranson/Tanev should be on the second pair. Stecher and Biega are the only ones in their proper roles IMO. We need a Dahlin badly and ideally OJ to pair with him in the future.

2 hours ago, Borvat said:

Edler / Gudbranson

OJ / Tanev

MDZ / Stecher - Pouliot

Biega

I don't think Guddy works well with Edler and Hutton just needs to mature...

Edler / Stecher

OJ / Tanev

Hutton / Gudbranson

MDZ  / Sautner or Pouliot

If OJ makes it he will be top 4 within weeks and I think they carry 8 D. pretty much for sure if OJ makes it.

3 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I don’t believe Stecher has a speed advantage over Tanev, he (Tanev) might be the fastest dman, on the team.

... guys guys guys,..  anyone paired with Tanev becomes a target for physical abuse,  Tanev does not avoid this and has historically lost half seasons .

We have to get over this bro love for Tanev.  He has to be moved. Sign Mike Green UFA.  Move Tanev.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

... guys guys guys,..  anyone paired with Tanev becomes a target for physical abuse,  Tanev does not avoid this and has historically lost half seasons .

We have to get over this bro love for Tanev.  He has to be moved. Sign Mike Green UFA.  Move Tanev.

Tanev draws the attention then dishes it to his partner who has space to operate.  This is why all players look better when paired with him.