The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

A guy I am quietly excited about to see next season. There will be immense competition for the left d spot next season. I think guys like Tanev, Guddy, and Stecher have the right spots locked down. Chatfield can challenge for the extra righty depth spot but other than that we have no righties looking to break in. We have Edler, MDZ, Pouliot, Hutton, Juolevi on the left side. Brisebois could throw his hat in the ring as an extra body. Juolevi will likely start in Utica because of the surgery. Give him some time to get his legs under him a bit more. Says he should be ready for camp but obviously he is missing out on training and such as he recovers.

Juolevi was never gonna be a flashy prospect. He was always a steady player, a somewhat "sure thing" pick or at least the closest you could get. Which at the time made sense to take, since we had 0 top D prospects. So may as well grab a Bo Horvat type D prospect. Bo isn't flashy, but he works hard and does all the little things right. That's kinda like Juolevi. He'll be top 4 in the NHL, just won't knock your socks off. That's what Hughes is for anyway B) 

• Upvote 4

On 2018-08-13 at 11:14 AM, N7Nucks said:

A guy I am quietly excited about to see next season. There will be immense competition for the left d spot next season. I think guys like Tanev, Guddy, and Stecher have the right spots locked down. Chatfield can challenge for the extra righty depth spot but other than that we have no righties looking to break in. We have Edler, MDZ, Pouliot, Hutton, Juolevi on the left side. Brisebois could throw his hat in the ring as an extra body. Juolevi will likely start in Utica because of the surgery. Give him some time to get his legs under him a bit more. Says he should be ready for camp but obviously he is missing out on training and such as he recovers.

Juolevi was never gonna be a flashy prospect. He was always a steady player, a somewhat "sure thing" pick or at least the closest you could get. Which at the time made sense to take, since we had 0 top D prospects. So may as well grab a Bo Horvat type D prospect. Bo isn't flashy, but he works hard and does all the little things right. That's kinda like Juolevi. He'll be top 4 in the NHL, just won't knock your socks off. That's what Hughes is for anyway B) 

OJ is another sure fire London Knight. He is a guy that will be a Hamhuis style d man.  He could easily lead the blue line in points this season if he starts in Van. We will definitely have our eyes on Hughes and many won’t notice OJ once he gets comfortable in the show. That’s what is great about good him. He is the type of player that you don’t notice, but other teams will. He was considered unforecheckable in junior. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Nice. I think some negative types forget he was still a junior eligible player last year. Perspective people.

No $&!#. The instant gratification fan drives me crazy. The guy just turned 20 and will be the most skilled defender on the roster this season... at least until Hughes signs ;) 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/13/2018 at 8:42 AM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I still don’t know what happened to Hutton. Where did his game

go?  

Work ethic, awareness and determination all disappeared. 

After last year I don’t know if he will find it again... of all the players on the roster that could

beneifit from a change in scenery I think Hutton is the guy. 

Wonder which other team out there has a similar situation and cap hit to send back. 

Any ideas. 

Utica

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just gonna put this out there, but being in San Diego I watched Brandon moutour for the ahl team, great player, just looking at wiki he played for a couple years there before being promoted Olli being in ahl isn't gonna make him a worse player, same with Shea Theo remember watching him too both stood out head n shoulders above 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

OJ is another sure fire London Knight. He is a guy that will be a Hamhuis style d man.  He could easily lead the blue line in points this season if he starts in Van. We will definitely have our eyes on Hughes and many won’t notice OJ once he gets comfortable in the show. That’s what is great about good him. He is the type of player that you don’t notice, but other teams will. He was considered unforecheckable in junior. 

Don't forget Ashton Sautner. I was very impressed by his attitude and the way he fitted in seamlessly when he came up last season. He played 5 games and was +4 with 2 points.

If there is a threat to Hutton and Pouliot I reckon it is this boy.

• Upvote 1

So I'm pretty satisfied with Olli.  I think that he was perhaps the victim of his own success and a classic example of a player inflating his value because of a single tournament.  Juolevi absolutely flew around the world juniors in 2016, was maybe the best defenseman in the tournament.  

However, that success has been impossible to replicate before and since.  I'm not dissatisfied with the pick, even in hindsight passing over who we did in the draft.  I think that he projects to be a solid-second pairing guy, perhaps could even put up 30-35 points which would be fantastic.  

I look for him to have a slow start in Utica, both because he missed off-season training and because he'll need some time to adapt to the pace and skill of the minors.  Hopefully he'll pick up as the season moves and might even see a few games in Vancouver as an injury call-up.  Next year will be the year he'll be expected to make the team.  

On August 12, 2018 at 8:38 PM, messier's_elbow said:

Don’t sleep on Juolevi folks. He didn’t win a memorial cup and a junior gold in the same season for no reason. He might take awhile to get going after rehabbing his back, but by season end he will be a fixture on the big club. He’s added size to a lean frame and improved his skating last season. Going to be in the league for 15 years. 

I agree with your post..I think Juolevi will start the season in Utica and will get called up by November..

Sure hope Juolevi stays healthy as he will gain good experience and add talent to a weak defence.

I say Juolevi plays 55 games 5 G  13 A - 18 points -- 3rd pairing some PP time..

4 hours ago, wildcam said:

I agree with your post..I think Juolevi will start the season in Utica and will get called up by November..

Sure hope Juolevi stays healthy as he will gain good experience and add talent to a weak defence.

I say Juolevi plays 55 games 5 G  13 A - 18 points -- 3rd pairing some PP time..

I like your positive attitude. I'm predicting he gets between 20-25 points. Jim always talks about his smooth skating puck moving ability and strong defensive play. The truth in the matter though is he is a very well rounded defender who can also put up the points.  

I am excited to see him in action at the NHL level. I am honestly more excited to see Juolevi then Pettersson at this point. I think that's because Pettersson now has the respect and praise of the fanbase. It still feel Juolevi is slighted by some fans. I think he will do really well. I wouldn't be surprised if we need to wait closer to Christmas to see him though. 

If the team moves on MDZ one would think a body from the AHL would be added. Unless breezer, Chatfield or Sautner get the call first but that would be surprising. I would not be surprised at all if Sautner gets claimed this fall if sent down. I like the kid too which would stink if it does happen.

• Like 1

On 2018-08-14 at 6:19 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Why post this if you have to pay? or give your info? 

Just askin...

You don’t have to pay it’s like a newspaper subscription u get so many free articles a month.theres a lot of good Canucks content.Props to Gokou for having better copy skills than me lol

• Like 1

On 2018-08-15 at 5:37 AM, alfstonker said:

Don't forget Ashton Sautner. I was very impressed by his attitude and the way he fitted in seamlessly when he came up last season. He played 5 games and was +4 with 2 points.

If there is a threat to Hutton and Pouliot I reckon it is this boy.

Your right, another decent depth guy that could unseat a current NHL regular. 

I don’t think Pouliot is in danger at Camp. He and Goldy should have a the first quarter to show they either belong or get demoted. 

No givens this year.  Finally. 

• Upvote 1