The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Really?  I thought he was playing great over there?  What are his deficiencies they believe he needs to work on?

There’s been a fair amount of discussion in the previous pages. Short version: he looked tired physically/mentally after the WJC and might have been a bit worn out. Coaches decided he needed some rest and healthy scratched him. Since getting back into the lineup, he’s been the 7th defenseman and playing limited minutes.

EDIT: And yes, he had been playing great leading up to the WJC and through the tournament. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

There’s been a fair amount of discussion in the previous pages. Short version: he looked tired physically/mentally after the WJC and might have been a bit worn out. Coaches decided he needed some rest and healthy scratched him. Since getting back into the lineup, he’s been the 7th defenseman and playing limited minutes.

Thanks... yeah sorry I don't like to read all the posts... but when I see one of yours I tune in as you seem pretty informed on all the prospects.:lol:

3 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Thanks... yeah sorry I don't like to read all the posts... but when I see one of yours I tune in as you seem pretty informed on all the prospects.:lol:

No problem. Didn’t mean it as a “go read the thread” post.

More just that you could get greater detail on what happened if you went back and read through the thread.

Unfortunately, you’d also have to wade through a bunch of arguments and accusations that didn’t have much to do with Juolevi, so I can’t really blame you for not wanting to read all those posts in here. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

EDIT: And yes, he had been playing great leading up to the WJC and through the tournament. 

I think people forget just how much hockey this kid has played between OHL regular season and playoffs, WJC, etc.  Sometimes it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Just now, Wilbur said:

I think people forget just how much hockey this kid has played between OHL regular season and playoffs, WJC, etc.  Sometimes it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Yeah, I agree. I think even before we knew the details regarding his scratch, I suggested it could be a good thing for Olli to get a little time off.

That said, now that he’s back playing, I’m hoping he can soon reestablish himself on one of the top 2 pairings. Rest is a good thing, but he also needs to play regularly (and in a stable pairing) to get the most out of his in-game development.

On 2018-02-06 at 6:46 PM, steviewonder20 said:

Interesting that there are 4 D rated higher than Olli on the list.

Shinny new toys are always nicer than the older ones.

Hieskannen is legitimately higher than OJ at this point. Can’t say how the others compare, think Makar is overrated on buttons list but he has been touting Makar for 1.5 years. 

Meaningless list, but it is safe to say that almost all

the players listed will make the NHL. 

I haven’t been able to watch the game, but I’d imagine plays like this aren’t going to do Juolevi any favours (he’s #4 in white):

Hard to know how much blame he should take without seeing the play leading up to that goal. But definitely doesn’t look too good on that one.

The defensive positioning (with Olli and the other TPS skater nearly tripping over each other in the slot while the Ässat guys get to play catch unguarded in the left circle) looks like what you can get when you put a player in that 7th D spot and he can’t establish much of a rhythm with his D partner.

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I haven’t been able to watch the game, but I’d imagine plays like this aren’t going to do Juolevi any favours (he’s #4 in white):

Hard to know how much blame he should take without seeing the play leading up to that goal. But definitely doesn’t look too good on that one.

The defensive positioning (with Olli and the other TPS skater nearly tripping over each other in the slot while the Ässat guys get to play catch unguarded in the left circle) looks like what you can get when you put a player in that 7th D spot and he can’t establish much of a rhythm with his D partner.

Actually by that snippet I question more what his partner was doing, as Juolevi was facing the play and taking the man and subsequently the puck while his d partner shadowed him so closely that the needed lateral movement to follow the puck was difficult, it was essentially a 2 on 1 with his partner casually gliding backwards away from the play

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

And the earlier goal against (with Olli on ice):

56 lost his man, looking like casual kev on a line change.  Juolevi is certainly out there for the goals but in 1.6 second clips it's hard to tell what's going on but on both goals against it looks like OJ is reading and trying to take the man but is kind of having no luck with his linemates

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Actually by that snippet I question more what his partner was doing, as Juolevi was facing the play and taking the man and subsequently the puck while his d partner shadowed him so closely that the needed lateral movement to follow the puck was difficult, it was essentially a 2 on 1 with his partner casually gliding backwards away from the play

Yeah, I agree the other guy looks awful. Can’t read his number so wondering if that’s a forward and the other D got caught up ice?

What I get from that play is that Olli has absolutely no trust in that other guy being able to defend the front of the net, which lead to some hesitation for him as to how to engage the two Ässät players with the puck.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

56 lost his man, looking like casual kev on a line change.  Juolevi is certainly out there for the goals but in 1.6 second clips it's hard to tell what's going on but on both goals against it looks like OJ is reading and trying to take the man but is kind of having no luck with his linemates

Yep 56 has gotta tie up his man.

Juolevi did the right thing. He had to block the lane to the net.

Give them credit. That was a nice passing play.

30 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, I agree the other guy looks awful. Can’t read his number so wondering if that’s a forward and the other D got caught up ice?

What I get from that play is that Olli has absolutely no trust in that other guy being able to defend the front of the net, which lead to some hesitation for him as to how to engage the two Ässät players with the puck.

That's what I saw too.

We see it frequently with veteran and rookie d partners, where the rookie will be out of position leaving the vet to cover.  You could see OJ swinging his head around trying to cover both guys with no clear idea where his partner was.

Essentially a 2 on 1

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep 56 has gotta tie up his man.

Juolevi did the right thing. He had to block the lane to the net.

Give them credit. That was a nice passing play.

No question that was pretty.  OJ had his man tried to take the puck but 56 whiffed it hard

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Here’s a longer look at the 3-1 goal:

#56 (Kuru) is again a factor as (according to some of the other game tweets) he makes a poor play at the line that initially creates the turnover.

Looks like Eronen (#36) is the other D.

No question OJ played that very well.  I know someone will step up to say he messed up but he played the 2 forwards back very well forcing one to the outside and still managed to get in to position almost in time to body out the scoring forward on that play

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Here’s a longer look at the 3-1 goal:

#56 (Kuru) is again a factor as (according to some of the other game tweets) he makes a poor play at the line that initially creates the turnover.

Looks like Eronen (#36) is the other D.

That’s was a 4 on 2......... he did the best he can, infact the position of him was actually, the best he could have done because he kept the play on the outside.

So the game ends in a 6-2 loss. Juolevi finishes even and played 18:19 (second highest icetime among TPS’s 7 Ds). Had three shot attempts (2 SOG) and at least one of them was reportedly a pretty good scoring chance.

Looking at the clips of all the 6 goals against, there was a lot of blame to go around and TPS generally looked a mess. Not a good result when the 2nd place team gives up 6 goals to the 10th placed team in a 15 team league.

I think from the discussion earlier, we can agree that the goals against involving Juolevi had some pretty poor plays by teammates. And while Olli might not have been perfect on either of them, he certainly wasn’t the problem. 

I saw some hesitation, but I’d attribute that to lack of trust for his partner (which looked warranted) and also the overall team just playing poorly. 

I’m encouraged by the icetime. Suggests the coaches felt Olli was one of their better Ds over the entire 60. And hopefully this means he’s going to be back on a regular pairing in the top-4 moving forward.

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

There’s been a fair amount of discussion in the previous pages. Short version: he looked tired physically/mentally after the WJC and might have been a bit worn out.

Hopefully part of his learning experience will be to hit the training hard in the off-season so he's ready to make a run at a roster spot come camp.  His projection will have a large part to do in if we look to move a Hutton or MDZ, although right now Holm should be considered ahead of him on the left-side depth chart.

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Can't overlook that TPS is now carrying 9 healthy D-men