The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

18 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Meh why trade up if we can luck out and win the lottery while not tanking like the Yotes and Avs... we learnt last year tanking is no good due to the lotto and how the balls go. If we finish bottom 5 around 4th-5th last, we have a chance of drafting top 2 and drafting Patrick or Hischier. IMO, Yotes will go with the consensus #1 in Patrick while we go on to pick Hischier. Now that'd be the hockey gods smiling right back at us

I think you misunderstood his premise. 

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

Meh why trade up if we can luck out and win the lottery while not tanking like the Yotes and Avs... we learnt last year tanking is no good due to the lotto and how the balls go. If we finish bottom 5 around 4th-5th last, we have a chance of drafting top 2 and drafting Patrick or Hischier. IMO, Yotes will go with the consensus #1 in Patrick while we go on to pick Hischier. Now that'd be the hockey gods smiling right back at us

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I think you misunderstood his premise. 

Obviously if we win the lottery then we have nobody to trade up with...

I was saying that if say Colorado won the lottery we could possibly work out a trade involving our 1st, 2nd and Hutton for the 1st overall pick. If Arizona won the lottery a deal could be worked out involving the 1st overall pick and something small for our 1st and Tanev. Obviously if a different team wins the lottery then we would need to offer a different package, but those are the 2 most likely outcomes.

As an idea in general though, I think trading up this year could come easier than other years, and we should capitalize if its not outrageous.  

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

I'd certainly consider it depending on price. 

And there's the problem, even with a weaker draft someone with a top 2-3 pick will want a fair amount to move it. Maybe it won't be quite as much to do so as in previous years, but then the prospects available aren't as enticing to want to pay to get there either.

• Upvote 2

Anyone have much insite on gabe vilardi?

its reletaviley quite conversation on him and he's been ranked in the top 5 consistently throughout the year 

seems to be the next highest ranked center behind the top 2 

could he be a potential #1 center that our organization desperately needs? 

Between him and mittlestadt? Who appears to be the better pick? 

With mittlestadt going to college he could be a better succession plan to when henrik might be out of the picture 

gabe might have a more difficult time locking down a center spot with henrik bo and sutter occupying those spots 

Edited by Off_The_Schneid!

8 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Anyone have much insite on gabe vilardi?

its reletaviley quite conversation on him and he's been ranked in the top 5 consistently throughout the year 

seems to be the next highest ranked center behind the top 2 

could he be a potential #1 center that our organization desperately needs? 

Between him and mittlestadt? Who appears to be the better pick? 

I like Mittelstadt better.

Vilardi lacks the same explosiveness that Mittlestadt has and his skating is kinda choppy. But that's the only thing I dislike about Vilardi.

Edited by Odd.

17 hours ago, elvis15 said:

And there's the problem, even with a weaker draft someone with a top 2-3 pick will want a fair amount to move it. Maybe it won't be quite as much to do so as in previous years, but then the prospects available aren't as enticing to want to pay to get there either.

Yup. It's unlikely to happen this year just like it's unlikely to happen most years. The GM's with the top 3 pick generally want an overpayment and it's generally not worth the cost (you lose more than you'd gain, even with a good player).

We probably have a better chance of winning the lotto pick  (come on #2!).

But I would certainly explore it on the off chance the price could be 'reasonable'. Our 5-10 pick and an ED eligible player +/-...

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Odd. said:

I like Mittelstadt better.

Vilardi lacks the same explosiveness that Mittlestadt has and his skating is kinda choppy. But that's the only thing I dislike about Vilardi.

I have Vilardi as my favorite in the draft behind Patrick and Hischier. He isn't explosive but his puck control,  confidence and vision is Unreal.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

Yup. It's unlikely to happen this year just like it's unlikely to happen most years. The GM's with the top 3 pick generally want an overpayment and it's generally not worth the cost (you lose more than you'd gain, even with a good player).

We probably have a better chance of winning the lotto pick  (come on #2!).

But I would certainly explore it on the off chance the price could be 'reasonable'. Our 5-10 pick and an ED eligible player +/-...

Oh yeah, you gotta ask if we don't get a favourable result in the lottery.

I would stay clear of Rasmussen unless some how we get another 1st. Not likely to end up as more than a 3C.

for me, mittelstadt is who I want. If we have another pick - Rasmussen or Foote could drop if it's s late 1st, pick Oettinger then flip him for a forward in 1-2 years once he value peaks after a good WJC and 1-2 good college seasons.

Nick Suzuki with a hat trick today and he's now cracked the top 10 in OHL scoring. I've noticed him rising into the 20's in a few rankings within the last couple of months after not being ranked in the top 31 anywhere at the start of the season, but that still means he'll likely be too much of a reach with our first round pick, and gone by our second rounder.

I'm very much hoping for a more skilled player with our 1st rounder this year. The 2 way players have been great but we've been missing a pure skill player since we traded off Shinkaruk. 
Would love to see Hischier, Vilardi or Pettersson, Necas in our system. 

13 hours ago, Brobidus said:

I'm very much hoping for a more skilled player with our 1st rounder this year. The 2 way players have been great but we've been missing a pure skill player since we traded off Shinkaruk. 

And where is Shinkaruk right now? 

7 hours ago, Outsiders said:

And where is Shinkaruk right now? 

On pace for way more points than Virtanen :)

Jokes aside. He is one case who may not  make it. Not a reason to stop going after skilled players. I really would love someone like debrincat in our system. 

On 2/13/2017 at 9:30 AM, Brobidus said:

3 hours ago, Brobidus said:

On pace for way more points than Virtanen :)

Jokes aside. He is one case who may not  make it. Not a reason to stop going after skilled players. I really would love someone like debrincat in our system. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but this smells a bit like 'Benning only acquires meat and potatoes' nonsense I sometimes see on here which is both absurd and entirely inaccurate.

And not all 'skill' players are created equal.

I'd also include Liljegren in that skilled player list.

49 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but this smells a bit like 'Benning only acquires meat and potatoes' nonsense I sometimes see on here which is both absurd and entirely inaccurate.

And not all 'skill' players are created equal.

I'd also include Liljegren in that skilled player list.

Not at all. But at the moment we are lacking something in our system. At least in my opinion. Would be nice to have some more flash. 
Yes I totally agree with Liljegren being in that list.