The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

6 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Dan Marr, Director of Central Scouting was on 1040 just before Button was. They have Mittlestadt as the 3rd best player. Mentioned his speed and skill and how he puts up points every where he goes 

Ya him not playing in college may have lowered his ranking. He could be a lock for third if he didn't play in high school this year. Personally my two favourites are him and Hirschier but who knows

Don't know if this has been discussed or not but I had forgotten how often 2nd best odds have won recently. 

2012 draft lottery, 29th place EDM jumped 30th place CBJ 

2013 draft lottery, 29th place COL jumped 30th place FLA

2014 draft lottery, 29th place FLA jumped 30th place BUF

2015 draft lottery, 29th place EDM jumped 30th place BUF

Crappy luck for Buffalo... McDavid and Ekblad or Eichel and Reinhart... What could've been...

I know it's all random as hell, just wanted to bring that to some people's attention who maybe wern't aware.

Fingers crossed... One week today... 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, VanIslander89 said:

Don't know if this has been discussed or not but I had forgotten how often 2nd best odds have won recently. 

Crappy luck for Buffalo... McDavid and Ekblad or Eichel and Reinhart... What could've been...

I know it's all random as hell, just wanted to bring that to some people's attention who maybe wern't aware.

With our $&!# luck, you can expect us to draft 5th 

5 minutes ago, funkyfresh said:

Hischier definitely isn't 6'1. He's 6ft, at most, and only 175lbs compared to Patrick at 6'3" and 200lbs. So, there is a considerable difference between the two. Size and weight aren't everything but still should be considered, in my opinion. For example, at the top prospects game, Hischier and Patrick went into a board battle and Patrick basically just threw him down like it was nothing. 

For me, if it wasn't for his injuries and his personality, Patrick would be number 1 without a doubt.

Patrick may still be number one, but what Im saying is that size and nationality shouldn't completely determine who whom picks. The poster that quoted me and I quoted in return referenced those as the numbers and said that because Patrick is Canadian we should pick him over the Swiss. I disagreed. In my mind size helps but being smart and having skill is more important. In the big picture.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

Patrick may still be number one, but what Im saying is that size and nationality shouldn't completely determine who whom picks. The poster that quoted me and I quoted in return referenced those as the numbers and said that because Patrick is Canadian we should pick him over the Swiss. I disagreed. In my mind size helps but being smart and having skill is more important. In the big picture.

Oh yeah that poster is ridiculous. Still, you would have to think Hischier is next level to give up the size Patrick brings. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VanIslander89 said:

I'll be happy with 4th. Just got to hope the hockey gods don't curse us with 5th.  Vilardi or Mittelstadt is fine with me. 

11 hours ago, numb3r 16 said:

whats this based of 

Just personal preference. Watched a little video, a gut-feeling.  

I wouldn't be upset if we drafted Mittelstadt or Necas, but both their stats didn't impress me as much. Mittelstadt racked up some points in high school. Big whoop. He's also going to college for a few years and I guess I'm too impatient. Necas is small and didn't have good stats at all. How will his game translate to the NA ice? He's also 2-3 years away.

Mittelstadt (USHL) 13 - 17 = 30 in 24 games

Necas (CZE) 7 - 8 = 15 in 41 games

But they're both very skilled and who knows.

Tippett (OHL) scored 44 goals in 60 games, I like that. Big, Canadian winger who can score. 

Glass (WHL) 32 - 62 = 94 in 69 games. Another big, Canadian player, who can play C or wing, and can rack up the points.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wouldn't be upset if we drafted Mittelstadt or Necas, but both their stats didn't impress me as much. Mittelstadt racked up some points in high school. Big whoop. He's also going to college for a few years and I guess I'm too impatient. Necas is small and didn't have good stats at all. How will his game translate to the NA ice? He's also 2-3 years away.

Tippett (OHL) scored 44 goals in 60 games, I like that. Big, Canadian winger who can score. 

Glass (WHL) 32 - 62 = 94 in 69 games. Another big, Canadian player, who can play C or wing, and can rack up the points.

I don't buy Necas being to small. Is Ehlers to small in Winnipeg and Goldobin for us? I vote no

Cody Glass has 1 inch and 9 pounds on Necas

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Tippet definitely looks impressive however I hope we don't grab him. He has a shot but we saw that same shot in Virtanen except Virtanen can skate like the wind as is way more physical. Not too mention we are starting to develop a back log in winger spots. Especially in the top 6. The only wing I would consider in the foreseeable future is Svechnikov next draft who looks like a sure fire stud. I think it's best for us to take a C this year. Tippet is nice but not that nice. 

10 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Sorry but nationality does make a dif to me when building a team and so does size. It is all about the mix.

Europeans: I like the programs in Swiss, Finland and surprising Denmark.

Americans: Having been kicking but internationally for a few years now. Canucks are already Team USA North but I generally like their fundamentals.

Canada: Still the best hockey players and the cream does rise. Media does no favors for these kids.

Russians: Very leery about players who were/are developed in Russia. Prefer they have at least 2 years of CHL hockey.

Size: Still room for smaller players (180-185 pounds). They have to have skill to compensate for size. I prefer +200 pounders with skill. If the Oilers are not sending out a major red flag to all NHL GM's then they are not worth their pay. Even McDavid leveled a Shark the other night. Big, physical, fast and after these playoffs mentally tough.    

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, funkyfresh said:

Oh yeah that poster is ridiculous. Still, you would have to think Hischier is next level to give up the size Patrick brings. 

Size matters even more when skill set is similar. 

12 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Wow 6'1 vs 6'2 and oh no he swiss too hahaha grow up. One inch won't make a difference and neither should nationality. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and every player is different. But you basing yours off nationality is sad.

1 inch and 25 lbs. What country has a history of producing the best players to ever play the game? it ain't Switzerland. The numbers clearly show Canadian players surpass any other nation by a huge margin when considering talent. Did you even see the 100 best players list? Its not sad its just facts