The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

25 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I remember that the Canucks would pick at either #54 or #55 with their 2nd round pick aquired from the Columbus Blue Jackets for Tortorella. It sounds like CBJ has already make a decision that the Canucks  get  this  2nd round pick for the 2017 draft.  At least  that would be my understanding based on the fact that Trevor Linden talked about having 6 picks for the 2017 draft. CBJ have an option to grant it to the Canucks either in 2017 or 2018.

yeah

did Linden say in the first 120 players ie 4 rounds?

5 hours ago, Derp... said:

This is just initial thoughts based on what I've read and watched, but will have a more detailed breakdown of what I expect the best point producers to be. Not a mock draft, just a general ranking. Bold is who I would be happy with the Nucks Taking at 5, underlined and italics are who I would be happy taking if we trade down a fair ways. The last 16, I would be happy with any at 33 in particular Vaakanainen, or Thomas though!

1. Nico Hischier
  2. Nolan Patrick
  3. Casey Mittelstadt
  4. Cody Glass
  5. Miro Heiskanen
  6. Martin Necas
  7. Gabe Vilardi
  8. Timothy Liljegren
  9. Nick Suzuki
  10. Cale Makar
  11. Elias Pettersson
  12. Owen Tippett
  13. Erik Brännström
  14. Eeli Tolvanen
  15. Kristian Vesalainen
  16. Kailer Yamamoto
  17. Lias Andersson
  18. Klim Kostin
  19. Jusso Valimaki
  20. Urho Vaakanainen
  21. Ryan Poehling
  22. Cal Foote
  23. Nicolas Hague
  24. Robert Thomas
  25. Grant Mismash
  26. Michael Rasmussen
  27. Josh Norris
  28. Shane Bowers
  29. Henri Jokiharju
  30. Jason Robertson
  31. Kole Lind

that looks pretty spot on. only other Longshot might be Pettersson imo.  he has that chemistry with Dahlen and he has tantalizing skill. we are still going to get a great player in those of which have been bolded.  I think adding Lilegren to the list is key too.

On 29.4.2017 at 3:42 PM, funkyfresh said:

Jokiharju might be available at that spot, or Brannstrom. 

Vesalainen would not be available with a second round pick. If he is, then you have to take him. He's played well everywhere he's gone except this year in the SHL. He just had an off season but he reaffirmed his 1st round status at the U18s. He was a projected top ten pick before the season started so It's not like he came out of nowhere. If he somehow gets to the second round, I can see a Saad situation where teams regret passing on him because he had one bad season. The talent and tools are there for him to be top 6 player.

I did some research on Vesalainen. You are probably right with your assumption that Vesalainen will go off the board in the 1st round, As for the pick at #33 I thought Urho Vaakanainen could be available - that would be awesome.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

That's a nice top line but do we still have Sutter as our 2nd line C?

We still don't know who the better faceoff ace is.

Does anyone have the stats as to who is better on faceoffs between Mittlestadt and Glass? THAT is the area that should concern us. We all know they have speed and can score but if they suck at Faceoffs and we constantly have to be chasing pucks then what the heck?

Really at this point I dont think faceoffs are a big concern. That's got to be one of the easiest things for a center to practice and learn. 

• Upvote 1

Alright, the suspense is over, we know where we are picking. Sure, it is disappointing, but if there was going to be a year where the first and/or second pick really wasn't all that, it's this year.

So, hopefully everyone (who felt the need) cried in your beer last night. It's time to get over it and move on.

We pick 5th. I would hope a center is where we go. I would be happy with any of Mittlestadt, Rasmussen or Vilardi (prefer Vilardi, to be specific). I don't see that picking another Dman high this year would be long term beneficial, at least not as much as a center. We have wingers galore, but someone to fill in for when Henrik is gone, no.

One thing I'm thinking after the lottery, is the RFA market. Given the lack of gaurentees, would an RFA be an attractive direction to go?

A team like Edmonton is begging to be picked apart. We all know McDavid's payday is going to be massive. Should Draisitl elect to explore the RFA option, I would love to see Vancouver go after him.

• Upvote 1

As disappointing as it is to drop to 5th, again, I am fine with saving our luck in the lottery for next year where Dahlin or the dynamic russian center is available.

Considering our draft position this year my wish list is as follows:

Vilardi

Glass

Middlestadt/Necas (Middlestadt projects to have higher offensive upside but the NCAA rule scares me/I like Necas as he plays in a mens league and is AHL eligible)

whichever Dman JB thinks is best (Heiskanen, Liljegren, Makar would be my order of preference)

Either way we are getting a good player. I was bummed yesterday but after having some time this may be a blessing in disguise. This draft has constantly been dubbed as "flat" as in there is a relatively even talent level across the first round. There is a very real possibility that the best player in this draft isn't drafted in spots 1,2 or 3.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Buttons mock draft as of 9 hours ago.

NJD Hischier
PHI Patrick
DAL Heiskanen
COL Vilardi
VAN Glass
LVK Rasmussen
ARZ Makar
BUF Mittlestadt
DET Pettersson
FLA Tippett

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/button-s-mock-draft-dynamic-hischier-is-ready-for-the-nhl~1112103 

Button briefly talks about Cody Glass who he feels would be a good fit in Vancouver. 

No Liljegren in there either hey, that ranking order is fine by me, guess the next big thing is the combine to change up the order yet again

8 hours ago, Derp... said:

His two most common linemates had 15 goals combined this year, in 60 games!! CM was on the ice with them for about 71% and 59% of his shifts. If we had more shot assist data on Mittelstadt I have a feeling it would tell us that he is setting up his linemates much more than they are scoring. Still torn but either Glass or Mittelstadt are great pickups at the C position. Still not that high on Vilardi honestly, need more convincing!

Mittelstadt: http://prospect-stats.com/USHL/2016/player/821/
(Terrible Linemates)

Glass: http://prospect-stats.com/WHL/2016/player/26958/
(Average Linemates)

Vilardi: http://prospect-stats.com/OHL/2016/player/7156/
(Great Linemates)

iF you Mittelstadt had bad line mates because they had 15 goals combined, how do you say Vilardi had great line mates when his most common line mates had 19 goals combined???

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

iF you Mittelstadt had bad line mates because they had 15 goals combined, how do you say Vilardi had great line mates when his most common line mates had 19 goals combined???

Because in the 49 games Vilardi did play he had a combined total of 13 different regular linemates this season

• Upvote 1

If Middelstadt hadn't gone back to high school he would be the clear cut #3 I think.... Bonehead decision to go back IMO.

I get the "unfinished business" thing but still, it's got to hurt his ranking, which sucks because it makes me skeptical even at #5. 

I won't be disappointed, just not sold. 

21 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

One thing I'm thinking after the lottery, is the RFA market. Given the lack of gaurentees, would an RFA be an attractive direction to go?

A team like Edmonton is begging to be picked apart. We all know McDavid's payday is going to be massive. Should Draisitl elect to explore the RFA option, I would love to see Vancouver go after him.

That would be awesome lol 

So Leon has until June 1st to sign with them and after that he's a RFA?

screw deadmonton every chance u get ! 

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm obviously bummed about the lotto like most of you. 

Here's my silver lining. Patrick/Hischier would have likely been ready for the show this year.  Maybe not like Mathews good but still contributing in some way making us a better team. Whoever we draft at 5 might play a couple games but will be sent down not effecting our team whatsoever. 

Long story short we won't be getting better next year with glass/Mittlestadt like we would have with patrick/hischier.

This franchise will never be handed anything nice as we can support a losing team. Unlike new Jersey.  It's time for all of us to come to terms with that. All the sweeter it will be when we see the cup hoisted above our jersey.

Gcg

Look up what silver lining means. Your doing it wrong. 

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

No I'm not. We will be bad next year in a much better draft. A better offence may have made us mediocre. 

We were bad this year and got the 5th best pick. What does that tell you? Also Nico or Nolan would neither drastically alter our offence. The best player out of this draft could easily be the one Benning chooses at 5. 

1 minute ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

We were bad this year and got the 5th best pick. What does that tell you? Also Nico or Nolan would neither drastically alter our offence. The best player out of this draft could easily be the one Benning chooses at 5. 

Dude just leave me alone. I'm not in the mood to argue with you.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 1