The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Just now, Odd. said:

ranked 25th on Mckeen's hockey, 27th on Future Considerations, and 30th on ISS hockey. It's not totally out of the reach. 

They will all change that in their final rankings, I'm sure. 

They'll realize they were way too low with him.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, theminister said:

I wouldn't even then, if we hold onto the CBJ pick. If Hart can fall to where he did, and I don't think there is a Hart in this draft, then the second or third best goalie is fine.

I mean, I'd love to take another good goalie, I really would, but the value can be found in the latter half of the 2nd or early 3rd often. We aren't needing another Demko, we need a guy who could take a little longer but get there.

Here is a list of some of the goalies taken relatively high in the last few years:

2016:

48 - Hart

54- Parsons

55 - Gustavsson

59 - Fitzpatrick

63 - Woll

88 - Ingram

2015:

22 - Samsonov

42 - Blackwood

70 - Sandstrom

75 - Vladar

76 - Hill

77 - Montembeault

2014:

34 - MacDonald

36 - Demko

37 - Nedeljokovic

39 - Vanacek

59 - Halverson

78 - Sorokin

2013:

36 - Fucale

44 - Jarry

59 - Comrie

99 - Saros

2012:

19 - Vasilevsky

24 - Subban

31 - Dansk

45 - Stolarz

62 - Korpisalo

75 - Gillies

83 - Murray

Plus many more in later rounds.

There's value to be had long after the early 2nd round. It's not where I'd like the team to go. I'd rather go after a RH OD like Jokiharju or someone else first.

Depends on who was still available at the end of the second round i suppose. But, i agree with you goalies seem to be easier to find these days.

5th- Liljegrin        Defence

33rd- Anderson-Dolan or Oettinger        Centre or Goaltender

?55th- Kasper Kotkansalo       Defence

64th- Alexander Sasha Chmelevski        Centre

95th- Daniel Bukac    Defence

112th- Max Gildon

188th-Reagan O'Grady

15 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

My Mock draft for the first 15 picks

1. New Jersey Devils - Nolan Patrick
2. Philadelphia Flyers - Nico Hischier
3. Dallas Stars - Miro Heiskanen
4. Colorado Avalanche - Gabe Vilardi
5. Vancouver Canucks - Casey Mittlestadt
6. Las Vegas Golden Knights - Cody Glass
7. Arizona Coyotes - Timothy Liljigen 
8. Buffalo Sabres - Owen Tippett
9. Detroit Red Wings - Cale Makar
10. Florida Panthers - Martin Necas
11. Los Angeles Kings - Michael Rasmussen
12. Carolina Hurricanes - Elias Pettersson
13. Winnipeg Jets - Jusso Valimaki
14. Tampa Bay Lightning - Klim Kostin
15. New York Islanders - Eeli Tolvanen

Personally I would believe that the Sabres go for a D-Men. They need D-Men desperately, their D- corps is a mess. Provided they land 2-3 D-Men by trade I could imagine that they pick Tippett.

Most likely the Avalanche decide to pick a D-Men .  They have some skill upfront with Landeskog, McKinnon Duchene therefore not really convinced that they select a forward. Would leave some more C opportunities for us (Vilardi, Mittelstadt,Glass).

10 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

5th- Liljegrin        Defence

33rd- Anderson-Dolan or Oettinger        Centre or Goaltender

?55th- Kasper Kotkansalo       Defence

64th- Alexander Sasha Chmelevski        Centre

95th- Daniel Bukac    Defence

112th- Max Gildon

188th-Reagan O'Grady

Would bet that the two right hand D-Men Henri Jokiharju and Connor Timmins are on the top of JB's list for the #33 pick. Connor Timmins scouting report sounds very promising. He is a good skater, puck mover and can run a power play.  That's exactly what JB is looking for. There is a good chance that Timmins will  still be available

at #33. Anderson-Dolan could also be available at #55. Picking up both of them would be awesome.....

11 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

just don't sign miller and take one of their goalies as a backup and get a pick/prospect. It really is the perfect situation for us

Here is another option for the G: trade for Eddie Lack and bring him back to VAN. Markstrom and Lack as a G tandem for the next season would be nice..... No need to re-sign Miller, even he is a great guy....

21 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Too safe of a pick IMO. If we're taking a dman I'd rather role the dice on a higher ceiling with elite potential like TL. His skating alone makes me gush over him. 

Heiskanen is probably one of the players in this years draft which is very close to become a NHL player. If he has a good offseason there is a good chance that he would play NHL this fall. I don't think that Heiskanen is high on JB's list, because he is a LHD. Liljegren is an incredible skater, no doubt about it. Nevertheless  this would be a  high risk / high reward choice to pick him at #5. If this gamble turns out to be a bad one, JB would be in real trouble..

19 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

AJ Greer and Cam Morrison are also past 2nd rounders that are developing nicely. 

Sakic is slowly stockpiling assets and yes, Col has a chance to be great again but I do predict Joe to select the D he has ranked the highest. Don't be surprised if he selects Makar.

Yea I wouldnt be surprised at all by a Makar selection too

How about with that 2nd pick of ours, if Nicolas Hague is still on the board, how can we pass up on him?  Dude is 6'5'' and knows how to use his length and reach, not as nasty as they come but not afraid to put some ppl on their butts.  Remind you of someone in particular??  See the link from a draft prospect profile for a pretty good read on him.

http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2017/5/8/15570306/massive-defenseman-nicolas-hague-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-mississagua

1 minute ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

How about with that 2nd pick of ours, if Nicolas Hague is still on the board, how can we pass up on him?  Dude is 6'5'' and knows how to use his length and reach, not as nasty as they come but not afraid to put some ppl on their butts.  Remind you of someone in particular??  See the link from a draft prospect profile for a pretty good read on him.

http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2017/5/8/15570306/massive-defenseman-nicolas-hague-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-mississagua

Not sure if this was posted earlier..

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2017/5/8/15576332/may-mock-draft-the-whole-enchilada

Decently done Mock Draft

Has our top three picks with CBJ 2nd rounder:

5th: Glass

33rd: Hague

53rd: Anderson-Dolan

I would be very okay with this draft!

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Zhukini said:

We are talking about Philadelphia right? They are LOADED on the back end. The last thing they need is another defenceman. 

Now if you want to throw Thatcher Demko ++ their way, maybe they'd listen. 

At RHD they have only Gudas. Who is somewhere between meh? And bleh... Then several otherwise decent to very good LHD who still struggle on their off side.

Bit of a tire fire actually when you watch them. Some blame the coach. There are lots of guys who can scream up to retrieve a puck, on the boards, on their forehand, and make a good pass with their head up to most of the ice open on their strong side. Then struggle to make that same pass when they have to get there a step earlier, so they can do half pivot with their hips to take the puck on the backhand. Withstand a hit now a step closer & coming from behind. With their back to the open ice, not a full field of view. So they chip it and have to fight waves of pressure to get it up ice. Where at each stage more mistakes can happen than a clean pass to open ice. Many also blamed the goaltending. Which was not great. But their goalie was routinely hung out to dry by a scattered D and this was a good part of the blame.

And yes they are stacked in D prospects as well. But among them, only Myers is a RHD. Meanwhile yes, Demko is probably rated higher than any of their G prospects. But if so, just.  Stolarz is at least close. Probably more NHL ready. Lyon was a serious rival to Demko in the NCAA. And Carter Hart is flat out an excellent prospect. Perhaps Demko is better? But they are stacked & very deep in goalie prospects.  

I'm not a fan of trading Tanev. But you would have better luck offering him, than Demko, IMO.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Not sure if this was posted earlier..

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2017/5/8/15576332/may-mock-draft-the-whole-enchilada

Decently done Mock Draft

Has our top three picks with CBJ 2nd rounder:

5th: Glass

33rd: Hague

53rd: Anderson-Dolan

I would be very okay with this draft!

Actually I was just looking at that one too haha!!  That's why I chimed in with that, I would be happy with that too, also read up on Anderson-Dolan and he looks like a good player to pick as well, he is a bit on the small side at 5'11'' though so that has me a little skeptical

Just now, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Actually I was just looking at that one too haha!!  That's why I chimed in with that, I would be happy with that too, also read up on Anderson-Dolan and he looks like a good player to pick as well, he is a bit on the small side at 5'11'' though so that has me a little skeptical

Haha too funny!

I dont consider 5 ft 11 small for nhlers, 5 11 - 6 1 is average. If he was under 175lbs then maybe.

But hes young for the draft year - plus 185lbs at 5 ft 11 with time to add strength and some size. Could grow a little more still too and he is far from a soft player.

I would be stoked with him at 53 but I think a team will scoop him between 33-53 before.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Haha too funny!

I dont consider 5 ft 11 small for nhlers, 5 11 - 6 1 is average. If he was under 175lbs then maybe.

But hes young for the draft year - plus 185lbs at 5 ft 11 with time to add strength and some size. Could grow a little more still too and he is far from a soft player.

I would be stoked with him at 53 but I think a team will scoop him between 33-53 before.

I don't think he'd be there at 53-56.  Either way since that CBJ pick is basically an extra, i'd rather go with a high risk/reward route and try to hit a home run on a high skill pure offensive player.  With either Chmelevski or chekhovich.

Kucherov was picked at 58 so hopefully we could find a 2nd round gem too. 

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't think he'd be there at 53-56.  Either way since that CBJ pick is basically an extra, i'd rather go with a high risk/reward route and try to hit a home run on a high skill pure offensive player.  With either Chmelevski or chekhovich.

I see him as a home run swing though

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Heard on the radio this morning that a lot of dmen are taken in round two, who turn out really good. (PK, Weber, Keith, and more too)  Maybe our second round picks should be D?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Heard on the radio this morning that a lot of dmen are taken in round two, who turn out really good. (PK, Weber, Keith, and more too)  Maybe our second round picks should be D?

I think JB will be focusing on D with his remaining picks after the 1st round.  Hoping to hit a homerun with one of those D prospects.

• Upvote 1