The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

15 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

Sure but I don't recall the twins weighing 165 at draft time. I mean this kid is skinny.

It's a concern.

So was Kyle Turris. I mean he was a bean pole! He is probably still skinny although not as much and he is doing pretty well for himself. 

I don't like the idea of picking a kid who MIGHT grow bit.  

Sure a skinny Turris is working out, but the scrawny allstars are few and far between.   

When you can pick a Vilardi who will almost certainly gain considerable size, why pick a beanpole?  

Having said that, when it comes to high picks, I tend to stay on the conservative side. If we were picking 20th, I'd be more willing to gamble on a player.   

I just don't like the idea of a top 5 pick not working out. Especially for a reason like size.  

This pick needs to be a sure thing nhler  

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

I don't like the idea of picking a kid who MIGHT grow bit.  

Sure a skinny Turris is working out, but the scrawny allstars are few and far between.   

When you can pick a Vilardi who will almost certainly gain considerable size, why pick a beanpole?  

Having said that, when it comes to high picks, I tend to stay on the conservative side. If we were picking 20th, I'd be more willing to gamble on a player.   

I just don't like the idea of a top 5 pick not working out. Especially for a reason like size.  

This pick needs to be a sure thing nhler  

Agreed.  Unless the light player has fabulous skating, puck skills, and vision just stay away in the top picks.  

6 hours ago, Odd. said:

Yeah, I wouldnt select Heiskanen at 3rd overall. 

I'm really hoping we can get the 3rd overall pick without having to trade our 5th overall pick. Would allow us to pick a Center and a defenseman (for me Mittlestadt and Liljegren).

That should be possible with Dallas. There is just too much benefit for them to get Tanev and dump Niemi on us. I just don't see any other team that can get them a top pairing RHD and take back salary too. 

10 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Pass It To Bullis had some good things to say about Pettersson here: http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/should-the-canucks-draft-elias-pettersson-1.20342866. Apparently, an analytics guy had him rated number 3 overall behind Hischier and Patrick: https://scouching.wordpress.com/2017/05/26/scouchings-2017-final-draft-rankings/ . The same guy had us picking him at number 5. Pettersson may even have more skills than Mittelstadt who I think is already pretty skilled. I personally wouldn't feel bad about us picking him at 5.

he could be a smarter version of Nylander. 

1 hour ago, Agoork said:

NHL DRAFT COMBINE - weights and heights of the prospects (is being updated as each group is weighed/measured):

http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-combine-heights-weights/

Necas is bigger than I thought.   6'1 and 178lbs

Vesalainen is a monster wow

And ZOMG look at that

Cale Makar...that kid who is too small and plays in a subpar league.  almost 6 feet now and 187 pounds.  That says still room to grow

Also still liking popagayev in the 2nd if he's still there, skilled and a decent size

Edited by Warhippy

44 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

he could be a smarter version of Nylander. 

Here's what Scouching had to say about Pettersson: "It’s no secret to the five of you who read these that I’m very high on Elias Pettersson, and I believe the Canucks are in on the party as well. They went out and acquired his partner in crime Jonathan Dahlen from Ottawa for Alex Burrows. They must have seen the duo play together, and now that they’ve fallen a bit in the draft, I’m led to believe that Pettersson will be their guy. Pettersson was almost a point per game, registering >3 points per hour, on a team that scored just 2.5 goals per game. His INV% (Player PPG/Team GPG) is 38%, which is enormous for a first year eligible in a men’s league. He also had a primary point (goal or first assist) on 60% of goals at even strength. For reference, Nolan Patrick was a 51.4%, Hischier, and Vilardi were at 64%, and Mittelstadt finished with a 60%. Pettersson may be one of the most underrated players in the draft, and if he can learn to play a more dynamic game at various speeds, he could be a lethal centre in the NHL in a short period of time. He has the size, production, instincts and IQ to make a jump, and watching him in the SHL with Vaxjo should be very interesting next year." (from: https://scouching.wordpress.com/2017/05/01/scouchings-2017-post-lottery-mock-draft/)

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

That should be possible with Dallas. There is just too much benefit for them to get Tanev and dump Niemi on us. I just don't see any other team that can get them a top pairing RHD and take back salary too. 

I never knew dallas was in need of a top pairing RHD?

1 hour ago, Agoork said:

NHL DRAFT COMBINE - weights and heights of the prospects (is being updated as each group is weighed/measured):

http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-combine-heights-weights/

Necas is bigger than I thought.   6'1 and 178lbs

Pettersson won't be measured until the last hour of the day - this gives him some time to do the Super Size Me training.

5 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Here's what Scouching had to say about Pettersson: "It’s no secret to the five of you who read these that I’m very high on Elias Pettersson, and I believe the Canucks are in on the party as well. They went out and acquired his partner in crime Jonathan Dahlen from Ottawa for Alex Burrows. They must have seen the duo play together, and now that they’ve fallen a bit in the draft, I’m led to believe that Pettersson will be their guy. Pettersson was almost a point per game, registering >3 points per hour, on a team that scored just 2.5 goals per game. His INV% (Player PPG/Team GPG) is 38%, which is enormous for a first year eligible in a men’s league. He also had a primary point (goal or first assist) on 60% of goals at even strength. For reference, Nolan Patrick was a 51.4%, Hischier, and Vilardi were at 64%, and Mittelstadt finished with a 60%. Pettersson may be one of the most underrated players in the draft, and if he can learn to play a more dynamic game at various speeds, he could be a lethal centre in the NHL in a short period of time. He has the size, production, instincts and IQ to make a jump, and watching him in the SHL with Vaxjo should be very interesting next year." (from: https://scouching.wordpress.com/2017/05/01/scouchings-2017-post-lottery-mock-draft/)

If all of this is accurate, taking him at 5 might be a steal. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

No they need a LHD.  Klingberg already is their top pairing RHD and they also have honka who will be top 4 next year.  Hamhuis is the best LHD they have right now,  they are looking for a LHD

they actually need both: http://thehockeywriters.com/stars-and-canucks-perfect-trading-partners/

Both Edler and Tanev make sense for them, but Tanev is the easiest to move. 

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

No they need a LHD.  Klingberg already is their top pairing RHD and they also have honka who will be top 4 next year.  Hamhuis is the best LHD they have right now,  they are looking for a LHD

Then why don't they just keep the pick and draft LHD Miro Heiskanan?  He is already playing against men and could be ready to go in his draft +1.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Then why don't they just keep the pick and draft LHD Miro Heiskanan?  He is already playing against men and could be ready to go in his draft +1.

thats probably an option, but realistically he's at least a couple seasons away from being a top 4 and Dallas has some urgency with their current group to win sooner than later.