The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

15 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Karlsson was considered undersized/underweight, but he wasn't ever considered lanky like Pettersson is lanky - he looks like a prototypical euro league player like his brother. 

You cant deny his skill, IQ and shiftiness. Saying that he wouldnt be my first pick. Glass or Necas are more intriguing. 

1 minute ago, KKnight said:

You cant deny his skill, IQ and shiftiness. Saying that he wouldnt be my first pick. Glass or Necas are more intriguing. 

Yes, these things are true and I would be higher on him if he had better skating or more grit to his game, but I am liking other players where we are picking. 

8 minutes ago, Agoork said:

This year's Sam Bennett? Looks like he got soft in high school. Does this indicate that he is actually weak for his size? Or, that he has a lot of room to improve? 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

No tanev doesn't though. Hockeywriters really don't have a clue what teams in the west need.  That article is just some no name guy putting out his opinion, and it has zero team insight behind it....He heard Dallas needs D and then jumped to a conclusion, he's not any more reputable than any CDC member stating an opinion here..

Here's the writer trying to defend the fact that since Tanev played the right side he doesn't actually fit there needs. 

Put it this way, the stars biggest need is the top pairing LHD.

Slavin/Murray/Fowler fit that area. 

So why would the stars trade their best tradable asset for a return that doesn't fill there top need.  Edler makes sense but his at his age and how he's declined he's not going to command the 3rd overall pick. Dallas will likely draft Hieskanen and then throw money at alzner.

Have to agree, kinda clueless really.

That said, if an undrafted Tanev nets us a top 10 pick alone or as part of a package while keeping the 5th overall.

Benning is a stud

2 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Yes, these things are true and I would be higher on him if he had better skating or more grit to his game, but I am liking other players where we are picking. 

This year's Sam Bennett? Looks like he got soft in high school. Does this indicate that he is actually weak for his size? Or, that he has a lot of room to improve? 

Both, he's weak for his size and has lots of room for improvement. I don't think those numbers scare me off but it's a little concerning for sure 

1 minute ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

Both, he's weak for his size and has lots of room for improvement. I don't think those numbers scare me off but it's a little concerning for sure 

I think lower body and core strength is more important for hockey players - Cody Hodgson killed it at the combine for upper body strength for instance. I do think it highlights his lack of training regiment in the last year, but I believe these elements for a guy like Mittelstadt are more easily correctible than pure lack of skill on the ice.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HomeBrew said:

I think lower body and core strength is more important for hockey players - Cody Hodgson killed it at the combine for upper body strength for instance. I do think it highlights his lack of training regiment in the last year, but I believe these elements for a guy like Mittelstadt are more easily correctible than pure lack of skill on the ice.

I completely agree. thats why I don't think those numbers are too disconcerting, though ideally he would have shown more upper body strength it's not the be all end all. 

8 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Josh Norris is a monster holy.

1st in Wingate, vertical jump and long jump.   Wow!   Projected as a late 1st round pick - wonder if he goes higher now.

31 minutes ago, Agoork said:

1st in Wingate, vertical jump and long jump.   Wow!   Projected as a late 1st round pick - wonder if he goes higher now.

If we had TOR's 1st rounder I'd pick Norris, Poehling, or Thomas for sure.

15 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

hah oh man, guess they don't really do pull-ups for training in the juniors do they?

Considering the Wingate is crazy exhausting and the exercises are done in short order it shouldn't be a surprise.

2 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Maybe we can put this one to rest....

Scott Matla @scottmatla

Only three teams didn't interview with Timothy Liljegren this week, Pittsburgh,Philadelphia, and Vancouver

1:21 PM - 3 Jun 2017

Retweets

Good. I don't see timmy being a good pick at 5. Maybe if he had a better shot.

9 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Yikes!  I wasn't a professional athlete and I could do 20 pullups in a row at age 18.  Why can't this guy or Sam Bennett even do one?  Do they have weights on their ankles?  My love for Casey is dwindling. 

I know it looks bad,but most hockey players depend more on leg and core strength...Mario Lemieux couldn't do one either...If Mittelstadt were available at 5,we should get him.

1 hour ago, HomeBrew said:

I don't think Bennett is a great comparable though. Bennett weighed ~175lbs at his draft combine, Mittelstadt just weighed in at ~200lbs. At 175lbs I think one can be a little more forgiven for not having a super strong upper body. 

However, (baring undisclosed injury) being unable to do any bench press (one is basically none) or pull-ups at 5'11.5" and 198.98lbs means he is probably not in the best shape and probably carrying some extra weight in fat around. I kind of agree that it "looks like he got soft in high school."

I think it can be viewed two ways. To me, this raises concerns about his commitment to conditioning and this fan base has already experienced one top prospect with fitness concerns (Jake) which has lead to some not so civil discussion and frustrations. Honestly, I don't think this fan base would react too well to another top prospect with fitness concerns. However, on the other hand it might mean that he's just barely scratching at the surface of his potential and as he gets fitter and stronger could completely dominate. Maybe he's just never had the opportunity to work with a good strength and conditioning coach and hasn't had any lessons on nutrition and will make big gains quickly. 

All speculation, but not much to go on at this point. Hopefully they are still measuring bodyfat % and that gets released which might help clarify. He could also just have massive legs.

Unfortunately, it's really hard to know which it likely is, and the interviews conducted over the past week that us fans are not privy too might go a long way to helping GMs figure out.

17 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Yikes!  I wasn't a professional athlete and I could do 20 pullups in a row at age 18.  Why can't this guy or Sam Bennett even do one?  Do they have weights on their ankles?  My love for Casey is dwindling. 

Not being able to do a single bench rep is more concerning imo 

• Upvote 3