The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

On 4/5/2017 at 10:54 AM, J.R. said:

I've seen very little of Necas but from what I have seen/read, I'd not be surprised if the Canucks have him top 5. His size and the relative  lack of info on him is concerning but the kids sounds like a gamer and clearly team scouts will have far more info available than we do.

I have Mittel higher but I've posted numerous times that the 3-10 spots are IMO all largely interchangeable and that I personally prefer Mittel, Necas, Petterson and Glass ahead of Vilardi, (never mind Lilj/Makar) so something like that ^^^ wouldn't terribly surprise me.

I dont think it is quite that interchangeable from 3-10. I think the chances that Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, and Mittlestadt all go in the top 5 is pretty high, where I see the crap shoot is from 5-15. Really hoping we end up with a top 5 pick.    

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That was the knock on him, if he was a product of drouin and the team, but then he increased his production the following year to 1.98ppg

In 2014 he was in on 35% of his teams total production

in 2015 he was in on 44.5% of his teams total production

Ehlers was able to increase his production with less around him.

Hischier in his draft year is in on 37.5% of his teams total production. 

Will he be able to up that production..

Do you Hischer is a better prospect than Ehlers was in his draft year?  I would say they are very comparable, which is my point. Ehlers was a 9th overall pick.  If Hischier was in the 2014 draft would he go ahead of Nylander at 8?  Probably not. 

If we get the first overall pick, we have some major decisions to make.  Hischer vs Patrick vs trading that pick. 

Irrelevant as they are not in same year.  The top end of this draft is not as strong as last years, but there is depth in the first round into the second.  If SJS wins and we get their pick, we could end up with a pick close to our first pick in terms of upside. 

This is a draft for trader Jim. A scouts draft where the winners won't be know for some time. 

6 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Irrelevant as they are not in same year.

People keep saying that but then you followed it up with the exact point I was making.

The top end of this draft is not as strong

The top end of this draft wouldn't make the top 5 of the last 3 draft years. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

People keep saying that but then you followed it up with the exact point I was making.

I don't know. If we're still comparing it to the 2014 I'd say Patrick/Hischier could very well go top 5. Ekblad, Patrick/Drai, Ehlers then it would probably be a toss up between Nylander/Hischier/Reinhart at 5 (with gift of hindsight and magically making them all same-aged).

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I dont think it is quite that interchangeable from 3-10. I think the chances that Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, and Mittlestadt all go in the top 5 is pretty high, where I see the crap shoot is from 5-15. Really hoping we end up with a top 5 pick.    

I'm not as convinced. It may very well shake out that way but it's 50/50 IMO on those last two remaining top 5. There's no clear cut 'BPA' past 2 and through to 10+/-.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I don't know. If we're still comparing it to the 2014 I'd say Patrick/Hischier could very well go top 5. Ekblad, Patrick/Drai, Ehlers then it would probably be a toss up between Nylander/Hischier/Reinhart at 5 (with gift of hindsight and magically making them all same-aged).

Not in a redraft with hindsight.  But simply add them into the mix.  Hischier is a direct comparable to Ehlers.  Ehlers went 9th.  Hischier probably goes 8-11th.

If we are redoing that draft with Hindsight.

Ekblad

Pastrnak

Draisaitl

Nylander

Arvidsson

Ehlers

Reinhart

Larkin

Demko

Jake probably doesn't even make first round. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sure, 

This draft isn't as strong, but Nico is at the top of the draft, so what if Ehlers went 9th a few years back?   Nico is still the number 2-3 pick this year. 

The playong field is always always shifting and never static year to year. 

Unless you you can say with certainty that Ehlers will

have a better career than Nico, then your point is moot. 

I have never gotten the draft v draft comparisons.  It's all semantics.  Forsberg, I don't feel this is a point of debate that is worth arguing, so let's agree to disagree and move on. 

EW

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Not in a redraft with hindsight.  But simply add them into the mix.  Hischier is a direct comparable to Ehlers.  Ehlers went 9th.  Hischier probably goes 8-11th.

If we are redoing that draft with Hindsight.

Ekblad

Pastrnak

Draisaitl

Nylander

Arvidsson

Ehlers

Reinhart

Larkin

Demko

Jake probably doesn't even make first round. 

Hmm..... I call premature speculation.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

LMAO! What kind of bizarre exercise are you trying to accomplish? Doing a 2014 redraft based on hindsight after a few years of players progressing into the pros and then placing an undrafted player within that mix? This makes no sense whatsoever.  

if one is going to undertake a "re-draft", one should probably wait at least 7 years

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

if one is going to undertake a "re-draft", one should probably wait at least 7 years

Look at the Bo draft.  If we did a re-draft now Bo would be ahead of Mackinnon.  It's better to wait for sure.

20 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

LMAO! What kind of bizarre exercise are you trying to accomplish? Doing a 2014 redraft based on hindsight after a few years of players progressing into the pros and then placing an undrafted player within that mix? This makes no sense whatsoever.  

try reading that again

" Not in a redraft with hindsight.  But simply add them into the mix.  Hischier is a direct comparable to Ehlers.  Ehlers went 9th.  Hischier probably goes 8-11th. "

next paragraph new topic.

"If we are redoing that draft with Hindsight.

Ekblad, Pastrnak, Draisaitl, Nylander, Arvidsson, Ehlers,Reinhart, Larkin, Demko"

Second paragraph has nothing to with this years draft. 

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why does that matter?  We can use the hindsight we know now and if we feel the need use the hindsight we've gained in 7 years.

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Why don't you call out the people who say that Hischier or Patrick would go top 5 in 2014.  They are basing their opinions by watching youtube clips of Patrick/Hischier and then comparing them to players who are already in the NHL.. Obviously Forsberg is comparing pre-draft skill sets and success so I don't really see the hindsight part of this argument?  

People know we have a good chance at Hischier/Patrick so seeing @ForsbergTheGreat rate them so lowly makes you guys salty.  You guys only want to hear what you want to hear.   Everybody knows that this years draft is weak, we could get Nolan Patrick and he could become a first line star for us but to give a poster grief because he rated a player to low in a draft from a few years ago is just so pathetic, besides, we all know that if we lose the lottery everybody's opinion will change and Nolan will just become a player who we never really wanted in the first place anyways..  People do these types of redrafts all the time, I"m sure Button and all those guys have compared Patrick/Hischier to recent draft rankings as well..are they not allowed to do that either?

Your kidding right? You don't get the hindsight part? I think you need to read it again buddy. He clearly states "If we are redoing that draft with Hindsight." 

If Button etc. were to do a draft comparison they would be doing it based on the year that the players were drafted, not some sort of time warp comparison FTG has going. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

try reading that again

" Not in a redraft with hindsight.  But simply add them into the mix.  Hischier is a direct comparable to Ehlers.  Ehlers went 9th.  Hischier probably goes 8-11th. "

next paragraph new topic.

"If we are redoing that draft with Hindsight.

Ekblad, Pastrnak, Draisaitl, Nylander, Arvidsson, Ehlers,Reinhart, Larkin, Demko"

Second paragraph has nothing to with this years draft. 

Why does that matter?  We can use the hindsight we know now and if we feel the need use the hindsight we've gained in 7 years.

You might not of heard this before, but... I think you need to work on your English. 

23 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Sure, 

This draft isn't as strong, but Nico is at the top of the draft, so what if Ehlers went 9th a few years back?   Nico is still the number 2-3 pick this year. 

The playong field is always always shifting and never static year to year. 

Unless you you can say with certainty that Ehlers will

have a better career than Nico, then your point is moot. 

I have never gotten the draft v draft comparisons.  It's all semantics.  Forsberg, I don't feel this is a point of debate that is worth arguing, so let's agree to disagree and move on. 

EW

Nothing is certain in drafting, I'm just pointing out how weak the top level of this draft is. 

Last year 1st overall got you Matthews (39 goals already)

The year before that 1st overall got you McDavid (super star)

This year the first overall might get you a 60 point player.

Without any player hugely exceeding expectation (which can be common even in later rounds) there is no franchise altering player in this draft.  Compare that to previous drafts where the first 2 players taken each year were game expected to be changers.

That is the point.  This year is weak draft.  Nothing more to my statement.

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Nothing is certain in drafting, I'm just pointing out how weak the top level of this draft is. 

Last year 1st overall got you Matthews (39 goals already)

The year before that 1st overall got you McDavid (super star)

This year the first overall might get you a 60 point player.

Without any player hugely exceeding expectation (which can be common even in later rounds) there is no franchise altering player in this draft.  Compare that to previous drafts where the first 2 players taken each year were game expected to be changers.

That is the point.  This year is weak draft.  Nothing more to my statement.

Wow, so you are comparing the previous two drafts that had generational talents to this one and concluding that the best players in this draft will be no better than 60 point players. Your analysis should really go no further than to state that the top end players of this draft are unlikely to be Top 15 scorers in the league.

FYI, it is possible for franchise players to be only around the 60 point mark - Jonathon Toews. 

• Upvote 1