The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

The players you listed are the exception not the rule. Also how are those players and their respective teams doing in the playoffs?

Gaudreau 2 assists. Flames golfing

Johnson 45 pts. Tampa didn't make the show.

Arvidsson 4 pts in 5 games. Doing quite well.

Marner 4 pts in 6 games. Got rag dolled a couple times.

Kane 2 pts in 4 games. Large reason why the Hawks are golfing.

Marchasseult 51 pts 75 games -21. Florida is golfing.

And isn't it funny how you drag the best 6 small hockey players in the world into this debate, all the while the biggest of the guys you listed is the best...

Someone will take a chance on him you're right. A GM would be stupid not to. But not until late first round I think. You're better off swinging for the fences on a small guy who could become elite with your 3rd or later like where alot of these guys were taken. The draft is just full of them.

I get what your saying and I would be hesitant to take a small player early given our experiences of Schroeder and hunter.....but you can't include Kane or Johnson in that conversation because those guys have proven to be ppg players in the playoffs. 

Also marner: 4 pts in 6 games not bad for 20 year old rookie in first playoffs 

Edited by silver
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, silver said:

I get what your saying and I would be hesitant to take a small player early given our experiences of Schroeder and hunter.....but you can't include Kane or Johnson in that conversation because those guys have proven to be ppg players in the playoffs. 

Also marner: 4 pts in 6 games not bad for 20 year old rookie in first playoffs 

I just analyzed this year's performance of the players another poster mentioned.

I'm mainly in the Cody Glass camp.

1- has size

2- can skate like the wind

3-is awesome 5v5

4-loves to score

5-Green is gonna have the ultimate play book on the kid from his old pal Mike who I also see as returning to become an assistant.

Virtanen-Glass-Goldobin

Speed, size, scoring, abrasive

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

D.sedin-H.Sedin-Granlund 

Labate-Gaunce-Molino

Dorsett

• Upvote 1

If Nux win lotto and take Hischier with #1

Would love to see the jersey sales before he ever skates in front of Rogers Arena

Would be the 1st - 1st overall pick in franchise history

Plus that name on a jersey..

Who wouldnt want one!?

Bob McKenzies most recent list published today.  Sorry in advance if this has been posted somewhere else in these forums.

Hes got Miro Heiskanen at #4 now.  I suspect a CDC meltdown if Canucks pick at 4 and take this guy over a center.

http://www.tsn.ca/patrick-hischier-in-tight-race-for-no-1-in-tsn-draft-ranking-1.736258

THE TOP 15 (MID-SEASON RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)

Nolan Patrick
1. Nolan Patrick (1)

Nico Hischier Halifax

2. Nico Hischer (2)

Gabe Vilardi
3. Gabe Vilardi (4)

Miro Heiskanen

4. Miro Heiskanen (13)

Casey Mittelstadt
5. Casey Mittelstadt (5)

Owen Tippett

6. Owen Tippett (6)

Cale Makar
7. Cale Makar (12)

8. Michael Rasmussen (7)

Cody Glass
9. Cody Glass (14)

Martin Necas
10. Martin Necas (8)

• Upvote 3

Just now, R3aL said:

If Nux win lotto and take Hischier with #1

Would love to see the jersey sales before he ever skates in front of Rogers Arena

Would be the 1st - 1st overall pick in franchise history

Plus that name on a jersey..

Who wouldnt want one!?

What would Don Cherry say though... Patrick is a name he would just cling to over Hischier lol.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

I'm mainly in the Cody Glass camp.

1- has size

2- can skate like the wind

3-is awesome 5v5

4-loves to score

5-Green is gonna have the ultimate play book on the kid from his old pal Mike who I also see as returning to become an assistant.

Virtanen-Glass-Goldobin

Speed, size, scoring, abrasive

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

D.sedin-H.Sedin-Granlund 

Labate-Gaunce-Molino

Dorsett

I am in the Glass camp as well - I really like him and Vilardi.

If the Canucks pick 4/5 and Glass is on the table and we pass on him that would say a lot though. Because I am sure they have watched him A LOT

1 minute ago, Darius71 said:

Bob McKenzies most recent list published today.  Sorry in advance if this has been posted somewhere else in these forums.

Hes got Miro Heiskanen at #4 now.  I suspect a CDC meltdown if Canucks pick at 4 and take this guy over a center.

http://www.tsn.ca/patrick-hischier-in-tight-race-for-no-1-in-tsn-draft-ranking-1.736258

THE TOP 15 (MID-SEASON RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)

Nolan Patrick
1. Nolan Patrick (1)

Nico Hischier Halifax

2. Nico Hischer (2)

Gabe Vilardi
3. Gabe Vilardi (4)

Miro Heiskanen

4. Miro Heiskanen (13)

Casey Mittelstadt
5. Casey Mittelstadt (5)

Owen Tippett

6. Owen Tippett (6)

Cale Makar
7. Cale Makar (12)

8. Michael Rasmussen (7)

Cody Glass
9. Cody Glass (14)

Martin Necas
10. Martin Necas (8)

I dislike ranking Rasmussen > Glass

In fact - it is ridiculous!

And Heiskanen at 4 seems like a shock - but not outrageous lots of drafts have had off the board d picks in top 5, and late year draft risers like this

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

I know it's just Botch but he was right about Van being high on Juolevi last year! 

IMG_8873.PNG

That's what I like to hear! 

42 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

For anyone who cares Button was just on the "1040" ( obviously take with a grain of salt) but some key points made:

He sees Mittelstadt, Petersson, Suzuki, and Andersson developing as wings in the NHL. 

Heiskanen as a top 2 d-man in the NHL. 

Makar and Hischer as the the top 2 skaters in the draft (NHL/elite level speed and skating). 

Blah  blah blah 

Hes very high on Hischier's defensive game and play without the puck. Could see any of the lottery teams going with him and see him close to NHL ready. 

I've wondered about Middlestadt being more of a winger too, that's why I prefer Vilardi/Glass. Interesting that he sees Pettersson as a winger too and I agree with him on Heiskanen, he seems to have that potential anyways. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

20 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I watched Patrick's team this year, and his linemates and D-men are not what I would call strong. Can't even do breakout passes.

It all comes down to his health - and concern for durability

Especially with his playing style - he goes hard + fights

12 minutes ago, Pears said:

How would you guys feel about taking Popugaev at 33? He's projected to go 28th so he could be there

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-prospect-nikita-popugaev-impressing/c-289099086?tid=277764372

Depends whose available at that spot, if Robert Thomas is available I don't think they'll consider anyone else. 

7 minutes ago, R3aL said:

It all comes down to his health - and concern for durability

Especially with his playing style - he goes hard + fights

Health concerns seem like rumours circulated to drop his draft value. 

Just now, TheHitman said:

Depends whose available at that spot, if Robert Thomas is available I don't think they'll consider anyone else. 

Health concerns seem like rumours circulated to drop his draft value. 

How could they seem like rumours he has had surgeries and injuries that have forced him to miss a lot of time at a young age. How can that be just rumours?

Teams are gonna really look at his physicality very closlely

Just now, R3aL said:

How could they seem like rumours he has had surgeries and injuries that have forced him to miss a lot of time at a young age. How can that be just rumours?

Teams are gonna really look at his physicality very closlely

They weren't a concern until the past two or three months, and he's been considered the top pick of the class for two years now. GMs/scouts send red herrings about players before the draft all the time, probably why the picks outside the top three are all over the place. 

1 minute ago, TheHitman said:

They weren't a concern until the past two or three months, and he's been considered the top pick of the class for two years now. GMs/scouts send red herrings about players before the draft all the time, probably why the picks outside the top three are all over the place. 

Sports Hernia Surgery at his age was surprising and scouts have talked about his injuries since last summer?

He put some of it to rest by performing well after returning - but still.

Plus Nico has really had a strong year out of no where and challenged him. Scouts did not see that coming.

So naturally the closer we approach to draft day the top two consensus guys who are really close in ranking are under the microscope.

If Nolan played the entire year and did not have that surgery or any other injury this year I would expect there to be great distinction between the two. Injuries and Durability are the number 1 concern for Nolan and I do not think they are fake rumours to affect his draft ranking - I think they are real reasons to why Nico could very well go 1st overall.