The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

7 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I don't understand why some of you don't see how good Vilardi is going to be. Or do you think he will be gone before we pick?  He already plays an NHL type game. He also has great skill and IQ. 

Why do you think people are thinking Vilardi won't be good? 

Just because I like Glass better, doesn't mean I think Vilardi sucks. 

11 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I don't understand why some of you don't see how good Vilardi is going to be. Or do you think he will be gone before we pick?  He already plays an NHL type game. He also has great skill and IQ. 

Vilardi is going to be awesome.  I think a lot of people are wowed by Rob Schremp type guys where they can go on youtube and see something flashy

16 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Vilardi is going to be awesome.  I think a lot of people are wowed by Rob Schremp type guys where they can go on youtube and see something flashy

I like Glass. He's not very 'flashy' FWIW.

That said, I also like Mittelstadt, Necas, Liljegrin, Makar and Heiskanen (though Heiskanen isn't terribly 'flashy' either).

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That said, I also like Mittelstadt, Necas, Liljegrin, Makar and Hesikanen (though Hesikanen isn't terribly 'flashy' either).

I agree with you.  I'm not saying you specifically but a large group of people. I am very high on Vilardi though I wouldn't be upset with any of the other guys you mention.  I would be underwhelmed by Liljegren but not upset.  Makar would probably have me the most excited but also the most worried.  Simply because of the junior A thing.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That said, I also like Mittelstadt, Necas, Liljegrin, Makar and Hesikanen (though Hesikanen isn't terribly 'flashy' either).

You take glass over vilardi J.R.?

1 hour ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

I will say I see why scouts are still saying TL has star potential, has all the tools 

Star potential but also possibly the riskiest pick amongst the top ranked players besides Makar but even then I prefer Makar. Wouldn't be upset regardless however. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Baratheon said:

My understanding was that Liljigrens biggest knock is that he doesn't have a very good shot.  I have only seen him a couple of times so I can't judge but most of what I've read isn't glowing.  The positives for him that I keep hearing are that he's an amazing skater but it seems to basically end there

His shot is excellent; especially his slapper that is  generally referred to as "Doughty like".  

Other fans have questioned his hockey sense, while Carlsson states "(Liljegren) is gifted with an intelligent hockey mind," while Button says " Smart, poised, anticipates the play, sees where to exploit opponents and can dictate play in all areas."   Jeff Marek " Can QB your power play with confidence. Sees the ice and all of his options really quickly.

He had mono at the beginning of the season, which has had a lingering effect on his stamina/physical development, all the while playing against men.  He was also moved around to different teams throughout the season.  Seems like these issues are being overlooked as the reason why he has dropped in the ranking since late February.  He simply ran out of steam.

This team needs a RH puck-moving, PP quarterback dman badly.  I wouldn't mind the Canucks selecting Liljegren at #5  Some folks prefer Makar as he playing very well, but I like that TL has been playing in a men league and is not considered 'undersized'.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Star potential but also possibly the riskiest pick amongst the top ranked players besides Makar but even then I prefer Makar. Wouldn't be upset regardless however. 

I agree but I'm not a fan of Makar personally, he's dominating tier 2 juniors as a last bday who is also undersized as well! But you never know as well 

3 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

I agree but I'm not a fan of Makar personally, he's dominating tier 2 juniors as a last bday who is also undersized as well! But you never know as well 

That worry about Makar's level of competition is why we need another top pick.  That was we can still draft him, while not worrying too much.  We could afford to swing for the home run.

• Upvote 1

Based off bennings comments for a skilled play making C or a PP dman with speed that can transition the puck quick.

Makes me think that this are their top 3: Mittlestadt / Liljegren / Makar

Edited by R3aL
  • Upvote 2

Just now, R3aL said:

Based off bennings comments for a skilled play making C or a PP dman with speed that can transition the puck quick.

Makes me think that this are their top 3: Mittlestadt / Lilejegren / Makar

Sounds exaclty right.  And one of the three, if not all three, are likely to be there at five, so JB will get his guy - so to speak.

17 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

What's with all this trade up to 3rd talk? 

There is zero difference between picking 3-5th this draft that's why I wasn't upset with the lottery 

there is no one ranked 3rd  and by trading up there would still be the possibility that player would be available at 5th 

im personally fine with almost all the players available other then Heiskanen

only because I think he's extremely close to what we already have in Juolevi 

Glass would be at the bottom of my list of players in that range but I wouldn't be upset if we picked him 

warming up to the idea of lligren, especially since he's already used to playing against men and could go right to the AHL 

Makar could end up being the best defenceman in the draft 5 years from now 

Where have I heard that before....about another player who dominated a lower tier level......

In 10 years, Feaster predicted, “Jankowski will be viewed as the best player in the 2012 draft,” adding “We felt we could take the gamble.”

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sounds exaclty right.  And one of the three, if not all three, are likely to be there at five, so JB will get his guy - so to speak.

Just hope their guy - is the best guy! :)

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Makes me think that this are their top 3: Mittlestadt / Liljegren / Makar

...Glass, Necas...

(I know, not 3 but...)

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Where have I heard that before....about another player who dominated a lower tier level......

Although I laughed at that pick years ago, Mark Jankowski has actually put up some decent numbers in the AHL. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the Flames roster for next season