The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

In my eyes he is what the Canucks need, a 6'3 centre that plays a meat and potatoes style game and has an extra gear in the playoffs. Hischier is a little more risky and needs more development to play a pro style game. Canucks don't have a great track record in the last few years developing young talent into stars.

He's also a 17 year old with a significant history of injuries and a guy most scouts said will be an elite 2c in the league but not a true 1 c

We need offensive forwards or offensive blueliners.  Not more meat and or potatoes

• Upvote 4

Honestly if we somehow won the lottery, I'll take Patrick  any day. though he does carry a injury history, if Bobby McKenzie compares the kid to Eric Staal, I take him any day. Look at how Staal is doing today. Hischier may turn out to be better than Patrick but he doesn't have the leadership skills that Patrick has. he is easily a solid replacement to take over the Sedins whenever they may call it quits. Patrick is the better player today and will turn out to be the better than Hischier after a couple years. Liljegren used to be on our radar but he has slipped drastically and we haven't seen him play as of late. if win the lottery, it will change our franchise easily. Yotes and Avs are locked to be bottom two but aren't guaranteed those picks. we all know what happened to us last year

• Upvote 3

Does anyone have any stats/numbers on Petterson? He sounds like a really intriguing player and the type of dynamic, skilled playmaker we need. His size is obviously a concern at around 150-160lbs, but at 6'1 he has a pretty decent frame to fill into. He would probably take a longer development path but I don't really mind if he is the best player. Does anyone have any comparables/matches for his numbers?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

cut.jpg

Agree with that. Definitely more risk/reward and likely the main thing keeping him from 1st overall IMO.

That's just not true.

I would take as many Bo's as I could get. I think barring injuries Nolan Patrick will cement his place as first overall in the WHL playoffs, but its his to lose and still a lot of hockey to be played.

Looking past the playing styles and size and skill set of Patrick and Hischier, if we somehow win the lottery and have the opportunity select one or the other I would go with Hischier. According to EliteProspects, Hischier is on loan to his QMJHL team meaning that next year if he gains more weight than his current 176 lb frame he could play in Utica alongside Boeser, Virtanen, Brisebois, and possibly even Gaudette. Having all of them developing together on the same team would do wonders for them and the organization's future. 

And if we need more meat and potatoes, why can't we just overpay a bit to get Landeskog out of Colorado? Tanev, Granlund, and a 2nd should do. Then boom, we have a mix of meat and potatoes and high end skill and speed.

Line 1A: Landeskog - Horvat - Boeser

Line 1B: Baertschi - Hischier - Virtanen

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Looking past the playing styles and size and skill set of Patrick and Hischier, if we somehow win the lottery and have the opportunity select one or the other I would go with Hischier. According to EliteProspects, Hischier is on loan to his QMJHL team meaning that next year if he gains more weight than his current 176 lb frame he could play in Utica alongside Boeser, Virtanen, Brisebois, and possibly even Gaudette. Having all of them developing together on the same team would do wonders for them and the organization's future. 

And if we need more meat and potatoes, why can't we just overpay a bit to get Landeskog out of Colorado? Tanev, Granlund, and a 2nd should do. Then boom, we have a mix of meat and potatoes and high end skill and speed.

Line 1A: Landeskog - Horvat - Boeser

Line 1B: Baertschi - Hischier - Virtanen

That package for Landeskog is fair if we take out the 2nd.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Honestly if we somehow won the lottery, I'll take Patrick  any day. though he does carry a injury history, if Bobby McKenzie compares the kid to Eric Staal, I take him any day. Look at how Staal is doing today. Hischier may turn out to be better than Patrick but he doesn't have the leadership skills that Patrick has. he is easily a solid replacement to take over the Sedins whenever they may call it quits. Patrick is the better player today and will turn out to be the better than Hischier after a couple years. Liljegren used to be on our radar but he has slipped drastically and we haven't seen him play as of late. if win the lottery, it will change our franchise easily. Yotes and Avs are locked to be bottom two but aren't guaranteed those picks. we all know what happened to us last year

We kind of have Bo Horvat for that, and with the character he seems to be showing possibly Boeser as well.

Character, leadership, 2 way play etc etc etc.  We need scoring.  A team that is literally mired in the bottom 7 in league scoring for almost 3 seasons needs offense.  And that will come from the blueline or offensive forwards.

Patrick will need an extra season or two where Hischier can go directly to Utica and the AHL due to his being on loan.  Playing the pro game a year early would really help the kid develp well, where as Patrick would either be in the big show and the pressure it brings or stuck in juniors.

Plus, and again it's important.  The injury history

This fan base will not tolerate meat and potatoes if it means mediocrity.  They will accept mediocrity if it is exciting though

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1

In 2014 I posted;

How long a rebuild do you want? 5 years? 7 years? more?

If going strictly the draft route then the team will need to draft and train 15+ players over the next five years. And then who knows what the team looks like. Now if the team happens to get one of the two picks next year.....

There are young established 1 rst line type players available for trade, this doesn't happen very often.

The Nucks don't have a 1rst round pick playing since Gillis drafted Horvat, a home run so far, Benning's at this time, are not in the league., 0 for 4.

I would expect and hope this caretaker management group would move expiring vets for something or at least give those dedicated vets a shot at the playoffs or cup with a good team, you know, out of respect.

What do take from a player who states to the media when asked how he would feel about being traded or if he would be willing to remove a trade clause and answers, "It's the tough part of the game", "Trades are part of the business" or "Trades happen in hockey, expected" ? 

While not asking for a trade is he not okaying the concept?

Edited by TheGuardian_

1 hour ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

You want elite skill? Here's some elite skill - in fact, Superelit(e) skill

This is who I was talking about. He has skill and hockey IQ and would compliment our forward core nicely. His size is obviously a concern at 150-160lbs but he has been putting up great numbers. His ppg is a healthy amount better than Forsberg, Burakovsky, Wennberg and some others. He is playing on the big ice surface, which would make it easier for a smaller player to succeed as they have more room to work with. However, if we give him 12-3 years in the AHL after the draft, he should be able to adapt to the NA ice as well as add some muscle, speed and agility to his game. All he needs to work on are some physical tools, which I would much rather have than a low IQ player.

Petterson - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - ______ - ______

Granlund - Gaudette - Virtanen

Gaunce - Cassels  - Lockwood

To expand a little on Petterson, I found this video of him a couple minutes ago:

You can really see his hands and skill level in a couple of these clips, working the toe drag and cutting inside. He doesn't look like he's ever gonna pack on an insane amount of muscle, but he should be able to fill out a bit. I think if he can work on his edgework and explosiveness so that he can really accelerate and separate himself from the opposition in tight in combination with those hands, he will be fine.

It always makes me laugh when I hear comments like "well Patrick would have went 5th last year draft". You hear this crap every year Matthews might have went 4th behind strome, ekblad would have went 5th blah blah blah. Guy put up 100 points in the dub last year in a draft year......if we got a stud like this rebuild over time to get to business 

• Upvote 2

Only player I'm really hoping we get that's realistic is Tolvanen. Despite our troubles, I doubt we'll be in contention for Hischier/Patrick... 

One of the weakest drafts I've seen... I guess the winning team will be whoever manages to get a player who actually lives up to the hype (mind me, I think that player will probably not be in the first round). 

Edited by guntrix

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

Question, say the Canucks finish 4th. Assuming those 3 players are picked 1,2,3 who do you take @ 4. IMO we take Mittelstadt or Liljegren. Who's your take and why?

1.Patrick

2.Hischier

3. Vilardi 

Mittelstadt because there really isn't anybody better at that spot. Mittelstadt is one of the best players in the draft, he's electric and consistent in all three zones. There's no way I'm passing on Mittelstadt if there's even the slightest chance of getting him.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Mittelstadt because there really isn't anybody better at that spot. Mittelstadt is one of the best players in the draft, he's electric and consistent in all three zones. There's no way I'm passing on Mittelstadt if there's even the slightest chance of getting him.

I agree 100%. While it would be nice to have Liljegren to solidify our defensive core, Mittelstadt is going to be a hell of a hockey player and exactly the type of prospect that we need in our group. We will be pretty desperate to have a potential #1 center to groom to take over Henrik in short order and while Horvat is great at what he does, he would be perfect as a #2 center on a Stanley Cup contender. I am hoping that the chips fall where we do not have to make that tough decision though because the last thing I want again is a "shoulda drafted Liljegren!" whining for the next decade. Thus, ideally we pick Mittelstadt at 5 or 6. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HomeBrew said:

I agree 100%. While it would be nice to have Liljegren to solidify our defensive core, Mittelstadt is going to be a hell of a hockey player and exactly the type of prospect that we need in our group. We will be pretty desperate to have a potential #1 center to groom to take over Henrik in short order and while Horvat is great at what he does, he would be perfect as a #2 center on a Stanley Cup contender. I am hoping that the chips fall where we do not have to make that tough decision though because the last thing I want again is a "shoulda drafted Liljegren!" whining for the next decade. Thus, ideally we pick Mittelstadt at 5 or 6. 

I am on the Stadt bandwagon!!  He fits our needs and may end up being one of the better players drafted.  If we don't get him, using the pick to solidify our defence with a sliding Liljegren or a massive Foote would also be fine by me. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Question, say the Canucks finish 4th. Assuming those 3 players are picked 1,2,3 who do you take @ 4. IMO we take Mittelstadt or Liljegren. Who's your take and why?

1.Patrick

2.Hischier

3. Vilardi 

Mittelstadt would probably be Benning's pick. He's completely rebuilt our defense core for the future with the drafting of Juolevi and Tryamkin, trading for Gudbranson, and signing NCAA UFA Stecher. He's kept Hutton and if he intends to keep Tanev then we would have to draft for team need at that point and, as SNYPERS7 said, he would be the BPA at that spot too.

Like Elias Pettersson, Mittelstadt has the creative offensive tools that the team lacks and has great hockey sense. Unlike Pettersson, Mittelstadt is already at a good size of 6'1" and 200 lbs and is already accustomed to the NA ice.

After Mittelstadt, I would think it would have to be Liljegren which would then force us to trade a defenseman for a forward. The next tier of guys don't seem to have as high an upside or have question marks... is Tolvanen good enough to be a 1st line winger? Is Rassmussen's success due to his size or his skill? Will Elias Pettersson gain size and will he be able to transition to the NA ice or will he struggle? Is Owen Tippett too one dimensional?

Even if Mittelstadt doesn't make it as a 1st line pivot we could put him on the wing and have Mittelstadt, Horvat, and Boeser as a 1st line.

• Upvote 2