The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Man can you read like at all? I don't care what kind of shape he is in. The fact that he so obviously didn't prepare for these tests at all shows a lot about his work ethic. 

He hasn't played since April 23rd. He's had 5 weeks to figure out how to do a pullup with proper form and he couldn't do it. 

Because he's likely more focused on improving areas that actually benefit a hockey skill set.  Do you think he cares where his is drafted?  Perpetration for the NHL is more important than a pull up at the combine. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

Honestly, I think am the only one who prefers Tippett over Glass and Mittelstadt. Our lack of center and defensive depth is indeed an issue, but that can be fixed over the course of the rebuild. It doesn't have to be address right away, with Horvat, Stecher, Hutton, Boeser, Juolevi, and Virtanen, the key pieces of the rebuild, all under the age of 23. 

Tippett being a winger, and our abundance of them in the system, should be irrelevant. You go into the draft picking who YOU think is the BPA. Tippett could very well be a solid pick at 5, while Glass and Mittelstadt become nothing more than serviceable bottom six players.

If we could get the #3 and #5 pick.

Eg. Vilardi at 3 and Tippett at 5 I would be all over that.. 

And hope we kept the 33rd in acquiring the #3 and BPA is D

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Do you think Henrik or Linden or Bo would have come to this combine unprepared to do even a single pull-up? They would have had the common sense to prepare. Now, if it turns out that Mittelstadt was injured, then that's another story, but if he was not injured, that speaks volumes about his preparation. Again, all you need to do is look at his pull-up form.

What does learning to do a pull up do to mittelstadt's game. Is he going to drop out of the top 10?  do pull up help him be a better hockey player?  The most important part of this combine is the interview proccess, that is what's going to impress GM's. Do you think anyone really cares that Bennett couldn't do a pull up 3 years ago during his draft year? 

He could only do 1 bench press to at 1 plate a side soooo... safe to say his upper body strength in general is untapped. Lots of room for growth. Not worried at all.

His school program might not of put an emphasis on upper body strength training - in 1/2 years time his strength will greatly increase at uni.

Edited by R3aL
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What does learning to do a pull up do to mittelstadt's game. Is he going to drop out of the top 10?  do pull up help him be a better hockey player?  The most important part of this combine is the interview proccess, that is what's going to impress GM's. Do you think anyone really cares that Bennett couldn't do a pull up 3 years ago during his draft year? 

Bennett was supposedly injured during that time - labrum issue or something. Again, you're not getting it from the Canucks' perspective: we are looking for at Mittelstadt as a potential 1C and it's not all about points or skills - leadership is important. Can you honestly tell me that that performance shows good leadership?

1 minute ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Bennett was supposedly injured during that time - labrum issue or something. Again, you're not getting it from the Canucks' perspective: we are looking for at Mittelstadt as a potential 1C and it's not all about points or skills - leadership is important. Can you honestly tell me that that performance shows good leadership?

If i'm the canucks and i'm looking for a #1C, I care less about the number of pull ups a person does.  Why would i care about him being prepared with a skillset that has zero effect on hockey strength. 

Should we also be concerned about how good they can cook and then be upset that they weren't prepared for it?  Teams care about the meaningful skills, but really what the combine is about is the interviews.  The testing is just add in filler. 

• Upvote 3

I have to agree with shiznak. I prefer Tippett over Glass and Mittelstadt as well. I'm not convinced they can become good, impactful NHL players. Maybe they will? I just don't; feel confident about that, like I do with Tippett.

As far as the combine, you'd think Mittelstadt, knowing he had to do these endurance tests in front of scouts and peers, would've, oh I don't know, practiced at least once. You'd think the fear of failure and embarrassing himself would've encouraged him to prepare. Fear of failure is an incredible motivator. Maybe he's not motivated. Upper body strength is important for a hockey player, but what's more concerning is that he didn't prepare at all. I've already decided I don't want this guy. I'd prefer Pettersson or Necas.

17 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

If i'm the canucks and i'm looking for a #1C, I care less about the number of pull ups a person does.  Why would i care about him being prepared with a skillset that has zero effect on hockey strength. 

Should we also be concerned about how good they can cook and then be upset that they weren't prepared for it?  Teams care about the meaningful skills, but really what the combine is about is the interviews.  The testing is just add in filler. 

Ah, so preparation for something expected by the league and other GM's is not a meaningful skill for you, then. Got it. Carry on.

Edited by vinny_in_vancouver
  • Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

We have leaders, Kane isn't a leader (either), Kessel isn't a leader, heck Messier was the bigger leader than Gretzky, but who would you want if you had a chance to pick either.  Not sure Gretzky has ever done a pull up. 

Not saying Mittlestad is going to be a star, but he isn't ranked at the top of the draft for leadership or strength.  

EmW

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Ah, so preparation is not a meaningful skill for you, then. Got it. Carry on.

According to an article a while back, the kid spends HOURS, on his own, doing things like stick handling drills quite regularly.

I really think the pull up thing (and his 'preparation' by extension) is being vastly overblown. 

I still have him at 3. If anything, just think of how much better he'll be with proper conditioning and training.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Ah, so preparation for something expected by the league and other GM's is not a meaningful skill for you, then. Got it. Carry on.

I Don't know how we can explain it any further. I personally don't care how many pullups he can do. But he was given time to prepare for a test. He failed miserably. It wasn't even a big test but it doesn't seem like I want to rely on someone like that. 

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

According to an article a while back, the kid spends HOURS, on his own, doing things like stick handling drills quite regularly.

I really think the pull up thing (and his 'preparation' by extension) is being vastly overblown. 

I still have him at 3. If anything, just think of how much better he'll be with proper conditioning and training.

You have him over Vilardi? ^_^

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

I Don't know how we can explain it any further. I personally don't care how many pullups he can do. But he was given time to prepare for a test. He failed miserably. It wasn't even a big test but it doesn't seem like I want to rely on someone like that. 

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Oh, I'm not bashing his dedication. I'm wondering about his common sense. They're 2 completely different things, and they're both important.

Maybe he focused on things he thought were more important than a test that's pretty meaningless in regards to hockey skills?

• Upvote 1

It is official for me @ 5th overall I am expecting us to take Glass or Pettersson.

Interviews aren't everything but there are just too many signs pointing to these two players being most likley to be selected. I am fine with both.

Not so long ago I would be like Pettersson nooo way! But now, after all the stuff I have read, watched and his numbers...

Kid looks like a slam dunk. If he had a better world junior performance he would be pushing top 3 in most rankings most likley.

Imagine - next year in Utica a line of:

Dahlen-Pettersson-Virtanen

Would be fantastic. Already played against men, Virtanen will help them with time and space as they adjust to smaller rink. They can focus on getting stronger at the AHL level. Virtanen can have the opportunity to play with high skill players and get back to being a key offensive contributor.

Really like the idea of this. And if we get pick #3 we take Vilardi or Heiskanen. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

It is official for me @ 5th overall I am expecting us to take Glass or Pettersson.

Interviews aren't everything but there are just too many signs pointing to these two players being most likley to be selected. I am fine with both.

Not so long ago I would be like Pettersson nooo way! But now, after all the stuff I have read, watched and his numbers...

Kid looks like a slam dunk. If he had a better world junior performance he would be pushing top 3 in most rankings most likley.

Would be fantastic. Already played against men, Virtanen will help them with time and space as they adjust to smaller rink. They can focus on getting stronger at the AHL level. Virtanen can have the opportunity to play with high skill players and get back to being a key offensive contributor.

Really like the idea of this. And if we get pick #3 we take Vilardi or Heiskanen. 

If Vilardi and Heiskanen are gone I think I'd take Petterson as well. His numbers are quite good. Only things that turn me off are his WJC performance and his weight.

4 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

There are quite a few tests to prepare for - you realize some of these kids don't even start lifting weights until they are 17? Because they are playing and practicing so much. For all you know he was preparing and he went from benching the bar to being able to do 1 rep at 135. Kids develop differently and you dont know the full story. Easy enough if it was because of lack of caring or preparation that would be easily uncovered in an interview. And all strength training can be shored up with professional trainers and nutritionists and hard work. No problem for a pro athlete. Harder for a kid in highschool devoting all his time to his hockey skills.

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Perhaps there's plans to add another 6-10'ish pick and grab both...?

I'd go:

Dahlen, Pettersson, Goldobin

MacEwan, Valk, Virtanen

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

If Vilardi and Heiskanen are gone I think I'd take Petterson as well. His numbers are quite good. Only things that turn me off are his WJC performance and his weight.

Think I read he had a big growth spurt that stretched him out, and hes already put on 10lbs of muscle this year. In 1-2 years he will have acceptable nhl size and in 3/4 he will be solid.