The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Adam Gaudette will surprise a lot of people and might challenge for a top 6 role. 

Pick Mittlestadt and trade Tanev + Bearthchi for 10-15th pick Rasmussen.

Gaudeette and Rasmussen can battle out 2nd and 3rd line duties. 

MIttlestadt Horvat and Boesser will give us a solid first line of non sweeds

Mittlestadt Horvat Boesser

Granlund Gaudette Dahlen 

Goldobin Rasmussen Lockwood

McEwan Mckenzie Virtanen 

Juolevi Stetcher

Hutton Subban

Brisebois Gudbranson

Edited by kenhodgejr

I can see Benning drafting Vallardi or Glass.

Both guys have great size and play a complete 2 way game and come from winning programs.

Very safe picks outside of their mild skating concerns.

Both big top 6 RHS centers to plug behind Horvat.

Don't mess this up Benning.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Im not as much of a fan of Cody Glass as most poster here. I don't feel he has the offensive potential to be a top 2 centre. I see him more of a 30+ point player. However I would love to be wrong. If the Canucks end up drafting him I would support him regardless. 

38 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Please share why - just curious?

Same, Bi3ksallent and I asked (in this thread) what everyone sees in Glass but never got a response.

Not trying to sound like a hater, but other than the points, I don't see what everyone see's in Glass. He seems like he's just good at everything but he's not elite at anything. I don't even get how he's considered a playmaker.

I would easily choose Mittelstadt, Vilardi, Petterson or Necas ahead of him.

Nonetheless, if we choose him, I hope he turns out to be a solid top 6 forward!

36 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Adam Gaudette will surprise a lot of people and might challenge for a top 6 role. 

Pick Mittlestadt and trade Tanev + Bearthchi for 10-15th pick Rasmussen.

Gaudeette and Rasmussen can battle out 2nd and 3rd line duties. 

MIttlestadt Horvat and Boesser will give us a solid first line of non sweeds

Mittlestadt Horvat Boesser

Granlund Gaudette Dahlen 

Goldobin Rasmussen Lockwood

McEwan Mckenzie Virtanen 

Juolevi Stetcher

Hutton Subban

Brisebois Gudbranson

Why do people keep putting Dahlen in the NHL roster.   He is as likely to not make NHL as make it let alone end up in top 6.   

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why do people keep putting Dahlen in the NHL roster.   He is as likely to not make NHL as make it let alone end up in top 6.   

I think that's a future roster (2 years away?), as the Sedins aren't on it. But what happened to Eriksson and Sutter? Did we buy them out? lol

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

.....there was so much wrong with that post....and that is what you choose to complain about?

Lockwood and 2/3rd's of the 4th line are at least 2-3 years away

....Tanev alone is worth more than a 10-15 pick...

• Upvote 2

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I think that's a future roster (2 years away?), as the Sedins aren't on it. But what happened to Eriksson and Sutter? Did we buy them out? lol

I guessed that but I am not in the camp that thinks Dahlen has any lock on an NHL spot.

Just now, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

.....there was so much wrong with that post....and that is what you choose to complain about?

Lockwood and 2/3rd's of the 4th line are at least 2-3 years away

....Tanev alone is worth more than a 10-15 pick...

I agree, loads wrong but the fixation with a player that MAY not even make it work at AHL level I find intriguing.   He has good highlight film from a league that may be up there is AJHL that people slam when Makar is mentioned.  

4 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

Warning! Controversial opinion below!

Clearly, Bob McKenzie didn't read the memo because he had Cody Glass ranked 8th overall. Me personally, I'll be very happy with any of: Patrick, Hischier, Makar, Glass. I'll be happy with: Vilardi, Liljegren, Mittelstadt. I probably won't be disappointed with: Pettersson, Necas, Tippett, Suzuki. That's just how close I think the draft is.

3 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Clearly, Bob McKenzie didn't read the memo because he had Cody Glass ranked 8th overall. Me personally, I'll be very happy with any of: Patrick, Hischier, Makar, Glass. I'll be happy with: Vilardi, Liljegren, Mittelstadt. I probably won't be disappointed with: Pettersson, Necas, Tippett, Suzuki. That's just how close I think the draft is.

I'm with you, I'd just cross out Tippett/Liljegren into the do-not-touch list. But honestly, it could well be any of those guys. 

2 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Same, Bi3ksallent and I asked (in this thread) what everyone sees in Glass but never got a response.

Not trying to sound like a hater, but other than the points, I don't see what everyone see's in Glass. He seems like he's just good at everything but he's not elite at anything. I don't even get how he's considered a playmaker.

I would easily choose Mittelstadt, Vilardi, Petterson or Necas ahead of him.

Nonetheless, if we choose him, I hope he turns out to be a solid top 6 forward!

What do you consider a playmaker? Glass had 32 goals and 62 assists this past season for 94 points in the WHL, a very defensive league. He has a good work rate, vision, and size (6'2"), not to mention the fact that he'll most certainly grow and round out to 6'3"/6'4" as he nears 21 years old. To top it off, a big chunk of Skyler McKenzie's 42 goals (the second highest point-producer on the Winterhawks) were assisted by Glass. Essentially, 17 year-old Cody carried that team for large stretches of the season. 

After watching him play, I liken his play style (I stress on style as I'm not projecting!) to Joe Thornton. He prefers to dish out the puck but he also pitches in with goals. Very lean and slender player who has decent speed (although not great) but compensates with vision.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

What do you consider a playmaker? Glass had 32 goals and 62 assists this past season for 94 points in the WHL, a very defensive league. He has a good work rate, vision, and size (6'2"), not to mention the fact that he'll most certainly grow and round out to 6'3"/6'4" as he nears 21 years old. To top it off, a big chunk of Skyler McKenzie's 42 goals (the second highest point-producer on the Winterhawks) were assisted by Glass. Essentially, 17 year-old Cody carried that team for large stretches of the season. 

After watching him play, I liken his play style (I stress on style as I'm not projecting!) to Joe Thornton. He prefers to dish out the puck but he also pitches in with goals. Very lean and slender player who has decent speed (although not great) but compensates with vision.

Well, maybe it's just the videos that I've seen, I just didn't see anything spectacular, most of the assists I saw were basic passes or rebound opportunities. 

If we pick him, I hope so. Interesting comparison though, since most compare his style to Johansen or Scheifele.

30 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Well, maybe it's just the videos that I've seen, I just didn't see anything spectacular, most of the assists I saw were basic passes or rebound opportunities. 

If we pick him, I hope so. Interesting comparison though, since most compare his style to Johansen or Scheifele.

Nothing wrong with basic passes. As long as he's getting points who cares?

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Nothing wrong with basic passes. As long as he's getting points who cares?

Because it's not about the points, it's about having a skill set that can translate to the next level. I don't see anything elite about him, and we shouldn't be drafting just to draft a good player, we gotta take risks on high-ceiling players. Just my personal opinion.

BUT, if Benning thinks he can translate into a Top 6 centre, then I'm all for it!

2 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Glass is my guy unless Vilardi drops to five.

Pettersson is so intriguing to me.

Its such an weird draft. Someone taken 3-15 could end up being the best player and its going to place alot of pressure on Benning and the Scouting staff to get it right.

Like most here, I haven't watched many of these kids play any serious amount of hockey so you go by Youtube clips, WJC, and the odd game you see them on TV. However, from what I've seen I have not been convinced that any of the following are going to be top 6 centers so its a gamble regardless:

Vilardi -yes alot of hype given his Mem cup play and his size but I didn't see the type of skating I think you want to see from a top six center and his point totals while solid would put him in the middle of the first round in a decent draft year. 

Glass - Love his 5 on 5 numbers and compete but again, skating is an issue - key for both, and scouts would know this best, which one has a more 'correctable' issue?

Mittlstadt - Competition level obviously -hard to know how he will translate

So that being said, I then think of two Euros that are further down the list who have oodles of talent but not many talk about, primarily because the media see's little of them and for whatever reason, an elite offensive European has to be MILES ahead of a decent offensive North American to get recognized.

Petterson and Necas to me, are the guys we NEED to be looking at seriously. I will qualify it again with the point above, limited viewing but

Both have elite puck skills

Both are elite skaters both with speed and in traffic

Both are playing against men when they are 17 years old and not physically developed and doing well

Both played well at the WJC

Both of their Ceilings are as good or better than the names above

Only issues they have is size right now, and they will grow (and if both won't you take the one you think will fill out the most based on the family)

We need an elite center to replace Henrik - one of both of these two guys (and I like Necas more) is going to be a 1C and very offensive in the league, we need to go after pure skill now and high ceilings not the safe 200ft player, We have that in Bo. 

Mark this post but in 4-5 years people will see. I am not saying the North Americans won't be solid players, but these two players I see as steals if they drop down to the 7-12 spots which they likely will given North American Bias by teams.

IMHO Nucks should trade down this year or hopefully with a Trade of Tanev you get a Dman at 5 and one of these guys at whatever other pick you have.

Edited by PassittoBoeser
  • Upvote 1