The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

7 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Same, Bi3ksallent and I asked (in this thread) what everyone sees in Glass but never got a response.

Not trying to sound like a hater, but other than the points, I don't see what everyone see's in Glass. He seems like he's just good at everything but he's not elite at anything. I don't even get how he's considered a playmaker.

I would easily choose Mittelstadt, Vilardi, Petterson or Necas ahead of him.

Nonetheless, if we choose him, I hope he turns out to be a solid top 6 forward!

He has elite work ethic and IQ.

Elevates the play of his much less talented line and team mates.

scores 5 on 5

Scores or sets goals up when they matter most and doesn't just rack up garbage points or all pp points

has an interesting backstory with his family that makes him sound like a strong character team mate and person

has a well rounded game - score sets up goals and is def responsible

has a solid frame that could potentially even be bigger based on his family 

His numbers were awesome too - exceeding Ryan Johansens draft year numbers - and he had much more talented line mates 

just a great prospect overall IMO - some feel he could end up being the best C taken in draft down road and comparisons to Johansen and Scheifle are pretty awesome. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, appleboy said:

So we just signed Guddy for one season. Then he becomes a UFA. Could we see Benning trade him instead of Tanev? Fans will crucify this management crew if he walks for nothing. I will lead the way!

It is time to blow this mess up. Trade Tanev and Guddy. Lets do a proper rebuild over the next few years. Lets take our lumps and look to the future.

That won't happen... If it does JB might as well start to look for another job...

7 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Interesting interview on 1040 of Grant McCagg of Recruits.com.  Says that the first 3 are clearly the top tier.  He has them rated 1. Hescheir, 2. Heiskanen, 3. Patrick.  Next is Makar and Glass.  After that, he says, players 6 through 12 are difficult to rank clearly.  Now, every scout has their own opinion for all sorts of reasons and I take each of them with a grain of salt.  His mock draft runs as follows.

1.  Heiskanen - NJ has drafted centres with their first pick 3 years running.  It only makes sense that they take the best D available this year.  Heiskanen is the best all round.

2.  Heschier

3. Patrick

4. Makar

5. Glass

6. Vilardi

https://recrutes.ca/

He is calling Makar the best skater and best playmaker in the draft.  

Someone tell that Junior B superstar on here (forsberg or whatever) someone who scouts for a living disagree's with his assessment of Makar

That's exactly what I've seen of the kid and I wasn't even sold on him because of his level of competition. But when you watch him, the first thing you see is incredible explosiveness, mobility and straight line speed, that translates to any league. And the players he's playing against, sure are a step down from Major Junior but anyone who's played the game at a REAL competitive level or even knows the game can see his skating is "exceptional" - its in a category few NHLers even posesses. That ALONE says he has a solid shot at making it to the NHL

Then you watch his hands, and vision and they are incredible as well, now that's where having that extra time in a lower league can help that, but the loss of that 'extra time' at the next 2 levels (NCAA/NHL) can be offset by his speed and mobility, those will earn him the same space he has to use his hockey IQ.

IMHO JB needs to try and get that Dallas #3 so we can take a risk with Makar at #5. Am I sold completely, no, but his upside is just too enticing to ignore if we have 2 picks, if not then it gets challenging.

If this Draft goes as this guy says, and we can get #3 with Patrick still there, and take Makar at #5 well rebuild pretty much complete.

Edited by PassittoBoeser
  • Upvote 2

The Hockey Writers website did a full 7 round mock draft the other day.

http://thehockeywriters.com/6th-annual-nhl-mock-draft-2017-sneak-peek/

Their top 10 off the board.

1.  New Jersey - Patrick

2.  Philadelphia - Hischier

3.  Dallas - Heiskanen

4.  Colorado - Makar

5.  Vancouver - Pettersson

6.  Las Vegas - Vilardi

7.  Arizona - Liljegren

8.  Buffalo - Tippett

9.  Detroit - Necas

10.  Florida - Middlestadt

Glass goes at 13 to Winnipeg.  With the 33rd pick they selected for the Canucks another C - Marcus Davidsson??

15 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

The Hockey Writers website did a full 7 round mock draft the other day.

http://thehockeywriters.com/6th-annual-nhl-mock-draft-2017-sneak-peek/

Their top 10 off the board.

1.  New Jersey - Patrick

2.  Philadelphia - Hischier

3.  Dallas - Heiskanen

4.  Colorado - Makar

5.  Vancouver - Pettersson

6.  Las Vegas - Vilardi

7.  Arizona - Liljegren

8.  Buffalo - Tippett

9.  Detroit - Necas

10.  Florida - Middlestadt

Glass goes at 13 to Winnipeg.  With the 33rd pick they selected for the Canucks another C - Marcus Davidsson??

Im no scout, I have a lot of faith in Jim and for all we know Petterson is going to be the best C this draft...

but if we leave Glass, Vilardi and Mittestadt all on the board to reach for Petterson I'll be pretty chapped.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Im no scout, I have a lot of faith in Jim and for all we know Petterson is going to be the best C this draft...

but if we leave Glass, Vilardi and Mittestadt all on the board to reach for Petterson I'll be pretty chapped.

Haha I have to agree, either Glass or Vilardi please, CDC would be up in arms

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, PassittoBoeser said:

Someone tell that Junior B superstar on here (forsberg or whatever) someone who scouts for a living disagree's with his assessment of Makar

That's exactly what I've seen of the kid and I wasn't even sold on him because of his level of competition. But when you watch him, the first thing you see is incredible explosiveness, mobility and straight line speed, that translates to any league. And the players he's playing against, sure are a step down from Major Junior but anyone who's played the game at a REAL competitive level or even knows the game can see his skating is "exceptional" - its in a category few NHLers even posesses. That ALONE says he has a solid shot at making it to the NHL

Then you watch his hands, and vision and they are incredible as well, now that's where having that extra time in a lower league can help that, but the loss of that 'extra time' at the next 2 levels (NCAA/NHL) can be offset by his speed and mobility, those will earn him the same space he has to use his hockey IQ.

IMHO JB needs to try and get that Dallas #3 so we can take a risk with Makar at #5. Am I sold completely, no, but his upside is just too enticing to ignore if we have 2 picks, if not then it gets challenging.

If this Draft goes as this guy says, and we can get #3 with Patrick still there, and take Makar at #5 well rebuild pretty much complete.

The good news is that however the chips fall with the first 4 picks, there will be a very good player available for the Canucks at 5.

Makar - as I see it, the risk with him is his defensive play.  It seems, he was so dominant, that he spent very little time in the defensive zone.  If he has deficiencies, this can be learned.   It seems unlikely in Makar's case but some players just cannot adapt to the pace of play at the NHL level.  Grenier for example, has all the tools but his head can't match the pace.

8 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

If Gradin thinks that highly of Petterson, I'm fine with it. Gradin is one our best scouts - when has he gone wrong with a high Swedish pick? Never. Ohlund the Sedins, Edler (say what you will but he's been a horse for us). etc...Gradin does his work and if we go 'off the board' its for a reason.

Just now, PassittoBoeser said:

If Gradin thinks that highly of Petterson, I'm fine with it. Gradin is one our best scouts - when has he gone wrong with a high Swedish pick? Never. Ohlund the Sedins, Edler (say what you will but he's been a horse for us). etc...Gradin does his work and if we go 'off the board' its for a reason.

If that's the case I'd (shudder) agree with Canucks Army and hope they at least explore trading down a bit.  Easier said than done, I know.

He may be fantastic but it certainly feels like a reach.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

If that's the case I'd (shudder) agree with Canucks Army and hope they at least explore trading down a bit.  Easier said than done, I know.

He may be fantastic but it certainly feels like a reach.

I said this in a previous post but I don't think anyone from 3-10/12 ish is a 'reach'.

There is often a north american bias in the media for north american players every year, probably because they see them so much and don't have as much insight into the euro players. That being said, every year there are european players who are taken mid to late first round that often become very good if not star nhl players.

It seems unless a player is the next "ovechkin" aka Leine etc they don't get the same respect a north american player does, in fact, I'd go so far to say north american players are often overvalued relative to their euro counterparts as a result. Ie I don't see the amazing things about Vilardi or Glass that others do. In a good year they would be mid to mid late first round picks.

Examples of my point above on euro's not getting the respect on draft day unless they are expected to be 'superstars':  

2014- Virtanen before Ehlers and Nylander (sorry to start that one here, I know its a sensitive topic but a perfect example),Pasternak 25th, Ardivsson 112th

2013- Burakovski 23rd, 

2012- Forsberg 11th, Hertl 17th, 

Etc etc.. I think you look at puck skills, hockey iq and skating, and if their size isn't an impediment that trumps all. Meat and potatoes is great but you also need skill.

I think Petterson and Necas are going to be 2 of the best players from this draft and would be happy with either. At the end of the day, none of us have seen any of these players "enough" to know their games inside out, strengths, weaknesses, and the ability then to compare them evenly. What I have seen is these two players have elite skill and speed and elite hockey IQ's . I see 'solid' NHL potential from Glass and Vilardi - they are not on the same level skill wise.

Ie would I rather have the next Niklas Backstrom or Claude Giroux (Petterson/Necas) or the next Ryan O'Reilly. Our team needs the prior IMHO

Edited by PassittoBoeser
  • Upvote 1

I'm sorry, I know this is more geared to the expansion draft as opposed to the entry draft but I couldn't find a dedicated expansion draft thread. Anyways, I've been looking into the rules surrounding the roster freeze and I was hoping someone could clarify something for me.

June 16: This is last chance for general managers to place players on waivers before the Expansion Draft/Trade freeze. Meanwhile, players asked to waive their protection to accommodate the expansion strategy have until 5 p.m. ET to agree.

June 17: The freeze commences. Non-expansion teams simultaneously submit their protected lists, which puts a full stop on activity outside the Vegas boardroom.

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/6/7/15750448/nhl-releases-updated-information-about-expansion-draft-dates

Does the roster freeze start at midnight tonight? I can't find anything showing a specific deadline.

4 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

I'm sorry, I know this is more geared to the expansion draft as opposed to the entry draft but I couldn't find a dedicated expansion draft thread. Anyways, I've been looking into the rules surrounding the roster freeze and I was hoping someone could clarify something for me.

June 16: This is last chance for general managers to place players on waivers before the Expansion Draft/Trade freeze. Meanwhile, players asked to waive their protection to accommodate the expansion strategy have until 5 p.m. ET to agree.

June 17: The freeze commences. Non-expansion teams simultaneously submit their protected lists, which puts a full stop on activity outside the Vegas boardroom.

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/6/7/15750448/nhl-releases-updated-information-about-expansion-draft-dates

Does the roster freeze start at midnight tonight? I can't find anything showing a specific deadline.

see key dates here, should explain it all for you 

cheers

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-expansion-draft-faq-key-dates-rules/

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, PassittoBoeser said:

see key dates here, should explain it all for you 

cheers

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-expansion-draft-faq-key-dates-rules/

So, if Tanev is going to be traded for that coveted Dallas 3rd. overall, it will happen Thursday June 22nd or Friday at the draft?  I guess, if it happens, it's on the draft floor.

Just now, Alflives said:

So, if Tanev is going to be traded for that coveted Dallas 3rd. overall, it will happen Thursday June 22nd or Friday at the draft?  I guess, if it happens, it's on the draft floor.

It would be alot better if it happened before the roster freeze for expansion (today/tomorrow) because then we protect Sbisa. My guess is if it doesn't happen today or tomorrow then he's staying put.

We can't afford to lose Try/Tanev/Sbisa in one year

• Upvote 1