The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

A much lower pick as well.

GM's aren't stupid.

A much lower pick? Than what? Is there a deal on the table right now you know of? And you're comparing it to a deal on the table for next year you know of?

Don't make up hypotheticals as a defense buddy - I can say damn we'll get first overall next year if we wait! That has as much weight as your last comment

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's what a rebuilding team would certainly do.  Are we really committed to the rebuild though?  I guess we will find out at this coming draft.  If Tanev moves for a top 10 pick the rebuild is truly on.  If he stays, then it's back to the retool concept.

Ehh. If he does stay, I'd like to assume it's because we didn't get the offer we were looking for.

If, for whatever reason, the offers for Tanev aren't coming in as fast and furious as we all hope they are, and the best we can do is something like TO's 17th overall and a B prospect, I'd rather roll the dice and wait.

• Upvote 1

Just now, PassittoBoeser said:

A much lower pick? Than what? Is there a deal on the table right now you know of? And you're comparing it to a deal on the table for next year you know of?

Don't make up hypotheticals as a defense buddy - I can say damn we'll get first overall next year if we wait! That has as much weight as your last comment

It's just common sense, "buddy".

If this years draft is as weak as you seem to think it is, and next years draft is as strong as you seem to think it is, then is it not reasonable to assume that, if we were to move Tanev for a pick in next years draft, as opposed to this years draft, it would be a lower pick?

Like I said, NHL GM's aren't stupid. Not all 3rd overalls, 5th overalls, 8th overalls, etc etc etc... are equal.

• Upvote 3

Lets not forget that Tanev has a NTC that kicks in this year. We all know how that makes a move a lot harder. This is the time to move him if there is an offer that makes sense. Thinking that we could move him at the trade deadline is just being uninformed.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I'll go under as well.  Back to the draft.... did anyone see my tiers?  Agree with or disagree with any choices?

Definitely under as well. Although he's likely is a dup account from someone that was already banned, so he will be back.

With regards to your tiers I think they are pretty solid, i would probably switch Makar and Casey, since you did say it's based on risk to reach their potential.  I would say a player that ripped up the USHL and the U18 has less risk, even if they can't do a pull up and Makar is the defensive version of Petterson in terms of hoping pure skill will translate.  

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's just common sense, "buddy".

If this years draft is as weak as you seem to think it is, and next years draft is as strong as you seem to think it is, then is it not reasonable to assume that, if we were to move Tanev for a pick in next years draft, as opposed to this years draft, it would be a lower pick?

Like I said, NHL GM's aren't stupid. Not all 3rd overalls, 5th overalls, 8th overalls, etc etc etc... are equal.

Who knows, really depends on a team's needs. Who said we can get 3rd overall this year? That's a rumour that right now Dallas is saying they want more for.

Who says we can get 8th? That's just people spitballing

Maybe we cant get 10 this year, maybe we can get 10 next year none of us know its not common sense, its based on team needs, how close they are, the gaps they have, contract issues/cap, injuries, other trades, many variables

sorry 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Definitely under as well. Although he's likely is a dup account from someone that was already banned, so he will be back.

With regards to your tiers I think they are pretty solid, i would probably switch Makar and Casey, since you did say it's based on risk to reach their potential.  I would say a player that ripped up the USHL and the U18 has less risk, even if they can't do a pull up and Makar is the defensive version of Petterson in terms of hoping pure skill will translate.  

An expert says Makar is the best playmaker in the draft - ouch

40 minutes ago, goblix said:

This draft is so wide open it's insane.

tanev for 3rd OA this year would be a great acquisition.

we could hold that 3rd in case hischier or Patrick falls to 3rd and if so then we could take that player or move down for a heftier price.

i wouldn't mind moving down from 3rd to 7th and pick up another first along the way. Arizona may do that to move up for valardi or Heineken who seems to be closer to making an NHL roster than the other names out there.

With 5th/7th/24th/33rd/55th we pick

5- Makar/Heiskenen/Petterson

7- Petterson/Glass

24-33-55-- Yamamoto/tippet/fallers

Im highly intrigued with Petterson because I believe he is AHL eligible and can play with Dahlen in Utica next year. He is also skilled AF

fallers is a good prospect, lets take him.

• Upvote 2

Vilardi or Glass would be great. I like that they're both big, playmaking Cs, who can also score. Also, they both have a serious work ethic and want to get better (eg. Vilardi is working on his skating this off season). This reminds me of Bo. I certainly won't be over-joyed if JB drafts Pettersson, not because he's ranked lower, but because he's not a physical player and the Canucks need a C who can go to the net and protects the puck well. Nice story that Pettersson and Dahlen played together in Sweden, but this reminds me of when JB signed Eriksson to play with the Sedins, because of their past success on Team Sweden. Not a good enough reason to draft Pettersson IMO.

A line of:

Dahlen/Baertschi - Pettersson - Goldobin

...may get punished, as skilled as they are.

My guess is JB will draft either: Vilardi, Glass or Makar, in that order. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PassittoBoeser said:

I'm saying we need to remain competitive this year to bring along the young D we have and even young forwards. And losing 3 of our top 6 dmen is not a way to remain competitive, that's reality

I'm not sure this is the word i'd use.... we were 29/30 last year with very little, if any, help coming this year.  I'd argue we are worse off than last year. 

I understand your point in icing a competitive team to create a culture of winning but if the opportunity presents itself to move a player (ie Tanev) to bring us pieces to be competitive in the future, it needs to be considered.  I'm not saying move Tanev at any cost so we can tank.... just saying if there's a deal there to make us better long term, it should be considered.

We will be bad regardless of Tanev being here.

8 minutes ago, OfficeDonkey said:

I'm not sure this is the word i'd use.... we were 29/30 last year with very little, if any, help coming this year.  I'd argue we are worse off than last year. 

I understand your point in icing a competitive team to create a culture of winning but if the opportunity presents itself to move a player (ie Tanev) to bring us pieces to be competitive in the future, it needs to be considered.  I'm not saying move Tanev at any cost so we can tank.... just saying if there's a deal there to make us better long term, it should be considered.

We will be bad regardless of Tanev being here.

And I am 100% in agreement of that, my point is though, unless the deal is really great, hold your cards to the next hand. Not saying pass if Dallas says ok here's 3rd overall, but if they say Here's third we want Tanev and 33 and you take our goalie to give us cap room (like some here have suggested) no way, or Toronto and their two middling prospects and a late first.

Tanev needs to command an elite prospect (on his OWN, no add ins, cap dumps on top etc) or a pick that lands one that's my point, and so far we haven't see it.

Hell if Hansen can get us Goldobin, should we not be getting an even better player for Tanev? That's all I care about. If not you hold him and trade him when someone offers you REAL value

But as JB has implied, if you want us to gut our defensive depth , you better be offering us a sure thing and an elite sure thing, else he's better off helping our team grow. Don't trade for the sake of trading because we're in a rebuild. He's 27 he can always be moved when the market for him catches up to his value.

Edited by PassittoBoeser
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PassittoBoeser said:

And I am 100% in agreement of that, my point is though, unless the deal is really great, hold your cards to the next hand. Not saying pass if Dallas says ok here's 3rd overall, but if they say Here's third we want Tanev and 33 and you take our goalie to give us cap room (like some here have suggested) no way, or Toronto and their two middling prospects and a late first.

Tanev needs to command an elite prospect or a pick that lands one that's my point, and so far we haven't see it.

Hell if Hansen can get us Goldobin, should we not be getting an even better player for Tanev? That's all I care about. If not you hold him and trade him when someone offers you REAL value

But as JB has implied, if you want us to gut our defensive depth , you better be offering us a sure thing and an elite sure thing, else he's better off helping our team grow. Don't trade for the sake of trading because we're in a rebuild. He's 27 he can always be moved when the market for him catches up to his value.

Absolutely.  The return has to be worth it otherwise there's no point.  We hold the cards here and he should command a more than fair value.  You don't just move him so we can be even more terrible and potentially pick higher in the next draft.  We all know that is no guarantee.

4 minutes ago, OfficeDonkey said:

Absolutely.  The return has to be worth it otherwise there's no point.  We hold the cards here and he should command a more than fair value.  You don't just move him so we can be even more terrible and potentially pick higher in the next draft.  We all know that is no guarantee.

Yes, and it seems like many here's logic is 

A. We are in a rebuild

B. The area I highlighted in your comment seems to be a common nonsensical view as well 

C. Move him now because his value is high, as long as the return is decent

D. Ignoring value and the fact he's only 27, so he can just as easily be moved next year.

It seems like many here want a trade for the sake of something to talk or moan about vs realizing when you have a valuable asset, you don't give it away 'just because you can' - you do it when you get value back that is commensurate  and hopefully more long term than what you are giving up.

Edited by PassittoBoeser

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Lets not forget that Tanev has a NTC that kicks in this year. We all know how that makes a move a lot harder. This is the time to move him if there is an offer that makes sense. Thinking that we could move him at the trade deadline is just being uninformed.

His no trade clause is for 8 teams.  Not a major issue, he can still be dealt to 22 other teams without having to waive his NTC.