The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kerby Rychel to Leafs for Scott Harrington and conditional pick

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Those spare parts are what Desi is complaining about and it's the one thing that I agree with him on. I like Sutter as a player but the price paid for him was way too high. 

Bonino was on a very good value contract whereas Sutter just had the one year left. Sutter has also had trouble staying healthy over the years. Why was there any need to add the 2nd? We got our man but we did so by adding a premium.

Sutter missed a total of three regular season and playoff games from 2010-11 to 2014-15.

This year was an aberration.

1 minute ago, Brad Marchand said:

Sutter missed a total of three regular season and playoff games from 2010-11 to 2014-15.

This year was an aberration.

It's the second round picks that Trader Jim keeps throwing into deals that is the concern.  By doing so he loses out on having flexibility during draft day to move within the draft.  

Vey

Baer

Sutter

Gudbranson

Pedan

Dorsett

Four seconds a two thirds.  The only player in that entire group, who would be a key piece on a Cup team would be Gudbrandson.  

This argument is not about giving up picks, it's about the philosophical differences between rebuild and retool.  Those who believe in the rebuild (me) feel top picks in every round are needed to get elite talent, through draft and flexibility in trade for higher picks.  Those who believe in retool believe a team doesn't need top picks to get elite talent.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's the second round picks that Trader Jim keeps throwing into deals that is the concern.  By doing so he loses out on having flexibility during draft day to move within the draft.  

Vey

Baer

Sutter

Gudbranson

Pedan

Dorsett

Four seconds a two thirds.  The only player in that entire group, who would be a key piece on a Cup team would be Gudbrandson.  

This argument is not about giving up picks, it's about the philosophical differences between rebuild and retool.  Those who believe in the rebuild (me) feel top picks in every round are needed to get elite talent, through draft and flexibility in trade for higher picks.  Those who believe in retool believe a team doesn't need top picks to get elite talent.  

One of those seconds was an extra that we got for dumping Garrison's contract, it was basically free money so to speak. I don't mind taking a gamble on a player like Vey with that pick. He represents the type of skill we needed at the time. It just didn't pan out much like many 2nd round picks.

The other 2nd was flipped for a 3rd in the Sutter trade so it's not like we just threw it away. The fact that all those players (except Vey) will play key and depth roles for us next season means they weren't wasted.

I'd rather look at the positive side in that we'll be a recouping one of those 2nds from Columbus, and the return of Rodin (a former 2nd round pick) balances things out a little.

6 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

leafs continue to trend upwards, its funny what a management with a brain and a clear direction can do for your team

Go cheer for them and tell them how much Corrado reminds you over the greatest Dman to ever lace up

Bobby Sanguinetti

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

One of those seconds was an extra that we got for dumping Garrison's contract, it was basically free money so to speak. I don't mind taking a gamble on a player like Vey with that pick. He represents the type of skill we needed at the time. It just didn't pan out much like many 2nd round picks.

The other 2nd was flipped for a 3rd in the Sutter trade so it's not like we just threw it away. The fact that all those players (except Vey) will play key and depth roles for us next season means they weren't wasted.

I'd rather look at the positive side in that we'll be a recouping one of those 2nds from Columbus, and the return of Rodin (a former 2nd round pick) balances things out a little.

Yes, your positive position is one I can accept, because I want my team to win.  However, philosophically, I do question the ability to aquire enough elite talent to be a Cup competitive team following the "retool" method.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yes, your positive position is one I can accept, because I want my team to win.  However, philosophically, I do question the ability to aquire enough elite talent to be a Cup competitive team following the "retool" method.  

I know people think you can just flip a switch a start the rebuild by trading all our vets, but that's easier said than done. It also doesn't guarantee anything.

I remember people praising the Flames for dumping their vets, saying that we should have started the rebuild like this sooner. Lets look back on those trades now:

They traded Iginla for a 1st round pick (Morgan Klimchuk), Agostino, and Hanowski.

They traded Boumeester for a 1st round pick (Emile Porier), Cundari, and Berra. 

They traded Phaneuf for Hagman, Stajan, and Mayers.

Three of their best core players traded for picks, prospects, and roster players and all of them look like busts. They have nothing to show for it.

Lucky for them they were able to get a stud at 6th overall in Monahan otherwise they would have been hurting for a long time after that. It's important to keep enough talent on the roster so that our young players can actually play with skilled players. Sometimes that means we're going to have to trade some picks to fill the holes.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I know people think you can just flip a switch a start the rebuild by trading all our vets, but that's easier said than done. It also doesn't guarantee anything.

I remember people praising the Flames for dumping their vets, saying that we should have started the rebuild like this sooner. Lets look back on those trades now:

They traded Iginla for a 1st round pick (Morgan Klimchuk), Agostino, and Hanowski.

They traded Boumeester for a 1st round pick (Emile Porier), Cundari, and Berra. 

They traded Phaneuf for Hagman, Stajan, and Mayers.

Three of their best core players traded for picks, prospects, and roster players and all of them look like busts. They have nothing to show for it.

Lucky for them they were able to get a stud at 6th overall in Monahan otherwise they would have been hurting for a long time after that. It's important to keep enough talent on the roster so that our young players can actually play with skilled players. Sometimes that means we're going to have to trade some picks to fill the holes.

And we both remember the flames trading Neuindyke for Iginla.  It's a cyclical process, and I'm not all together on board JB's getting elite Cup talent without drafting at the top of the draft several times.  The Oilers now have McDavid, Nurse, Draisatl, and Puliarvi to build around.  It's taken them FAR too long for sure, but they are now getting the ELITE assets needed (IMHAO) to compete for Cups.  

The Flames, I think, are still stuck in the middle. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And we both remember the flames trading Neuindyke for Iginla.  It's a cyclical process, and I'm not all together on board JB's getting elite Cup talent without drafting at the top of the draft several times.  The Oilers now have McDavid, Nurse, Draisatl, and Puliarvi to build around.  It's taken them FAR too long for sure, but they are now getting the ELITE assets needed (IMHAO) to compete for Cups.  

The Flames, I think, are still stuck in the middle. 

To be bad enough to guarantee a top 3 pick we'd have to dump most of our vets including the Sedins, and expose our current young players to situations they're not ready for. Likely ruining their development in the process.

It's not worth it in the long run. The only reason the Oilers are in good shape now is because they got lucky and won the lottery for a generational player. They've shown that simply finishing with 1st overall picks isn't enough if you don't do it in the right years and develop them properly.

If we're gonna finish with a 1st overall pick it will happen naturally after the Sedins retire and we don't have the talent to replace them.

9 hours ago, Losing With Pride said:

Don't understand this deal for the Blue Jackets?

Not much the Blue Jackets have been doing makes sense.

JarmoK is looking more and more like a horrible GM with each passing move.

Sad, because the CBJ have/had the makings of a team on the rise.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

To be bad enough to guarantee a top 3 pick we'd have to dump most of our vets including the Sedins, and expose our current young players to situations they're not ready for. Likely ruining their development in the process.

It's not worth it in the long run. The only reason the Oilers are in good shape now is because they got lucky and won the lottery for a generational player. They've shown that simply finishing with 1st overall picks isn't enough if you don't do it in the right years and develop them properly.

If we're gonna finish with a 1st overall pick it will happen naturally after the Sedins retire and we don't have the talent to replace them.

That's probably true.  When the Sedins retire, we will get the natural tank.  Hopefully, there is elite (Sedin-like) talent at the tops of those drafts. 

5 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Ya you know what? After seeing what Leafs have done in the past year is nothing short of remarkable and makes me honestly stand up and take a bow. 2 respected guys in Shanahan and Lamarello came in and basically told ownership and the fan base to STFU and let them do their jobs. They hired a top coach, flogged off off almost every cappy contract, stockpiled 20 draft picks, made shrewd small deals that brought them good prospects. They KNEW they weren't contenders and had decided their course of action and stuck to it. Aqua-f**ktards should take notice coz last I checked....the ACC or Rogers Arena or whatever the Maple Leafs stadium is called was STILL selling out and WILL continue to sell out. This Maple Leafs teams is no longer the joke of the league and now set for MANY years to come. And you CAN'T. ...TEACH....THAT!!!!

What do Canucks fans get?

Ownership and management that can't seem to decide to s**t or get off the pot in terms of which direction they wanna go. We hemmorage draft picks, and can't seem to decide what's the best for our prospects. We sit on our hands at the deadline and hum n haw about which guys we want to get rid of. The Hamhuis and Vrbata situations were handled terribly. Both should've been asked/told to waive/hand in their lists wayyyyyyyyy before it was too late. We got told that the 3rd being offered in the 2nd time Dallas came back to us wasn't good enough and yet we scramble to get a pick from a team to trade for his rights. Well that 3rd would've looked good at the draft now wouldn't it? Whatever they could've gotten for Vrbata could also been put to use today as well. How much did Vrbata play after the deadline? Many media types and sources tweet what teams were offering the team for Hamhuis and Vrbata but suddenly it seems like it was everyone else that was lying. Now we await how much the league is going to F**k us on this new tampering charge because Bonning managed to p*ss off MTL, TB and most likely every other cliqued GM in the league.  Heck, even the new 27yr old GM of Arizona had the stones to buy the 16th pick and select Chychrun. Only cost 7.5 mil which is roughly the same amount Aquilini's are set to loose in revenue next year. Arizona owners and fans seemed ok with that too and I'm sure we also would've.  Even if Chychrun wasn't selected there were still many good selections that will all be huge factors for the club for many years.

And NOW we get hearded into the season ticket summit and fed tons of bulls**t about how we weren't good enough and knew that from the beginning but hey...feed us more bulls**t ok?

The Toronto situation makes me very jealous and makes me wonder what life would've been like if WE hired Shanahan/Lamarello. THEY had the stones to tell ownership and Fans to chill out. 

Get ready for Linden to come out with more "Good Ol" Trev" stories to try and smooth this over...... and just wait until we sign Lucic to 7x7 deal

They are the worst team,and they're still lousy..until proven otherwise...As being "set for many years to come",that's pure speculation,..you don't know that......Buffalo and Toronto have both done pre-meditated 'tanking" rebuilds and,there's no absolute proof that they're going to win....Until it happens,it aint happening.

11 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

leafs continue to trend upwards, its funny what a management with a brain and a clear direction can do for your team

Why? Because they do what you want? 

One dimensional. 

11 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

im not going to be a leaf fan, but ever since they got lou they have been stock piing the draft picks, something I hope our management did. Sigh, im counting the 3 years. Disappointing draft, tdl, season, this is just a blunder of a season. Now I look forward to free-agent day, which I know benning will over pay. Just count 3 years, that's all im giving this regime. 

I was actually a Leaf fan back before we had NHL in this town eh Des. I'd be lying if I didn't admit to a small part of me taking some pleasure in seeing them finally seemingly staring to put it together these days.

2 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

They are the worst team,and they're still lousy..until proven otherwise...As being "set for many years to come",that's pure speculation,..you don't know that......Buffalo and Toronto have both done pre-meditated 'tanking" rebuilds and,there's no absolute proof that they're going to win....Until it happens,it aint happening.

Dude....you obviously missed the boat on what they have done....

If you stop and put aside your hatred for a bit you will appreciate what they've done and the direction they are going in now....

You just keep your homer glasses on tho ok......tomorrow Botch will tell you what to like next.....

The Canucks aren't going to rebuild. Some fans need to get over it. Aquilini's won't allow it. Management wants one more shot with the Sedin's. Benning would probably love full authority to do a complete rebuild but that isn't the mandate. 

So get over it, stop bitching and whining, and support the team. I have been very impressed with the assets Benning has accumulated in such a short time. How many good players did Gillis add in his entire tenure. Most of them were there before he arrived. 

Archived