The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rodrigo Abols Talk

3 hours ago, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

I would have rather have seen us take Ronning, Rodrigo had a very good chance to fall through and be a direct sign and send to Utica whereas even if we were expecting Ronning to fall through and be available down the road then I believe he would still have to be drafted ..... In other words we theoretically could have had both and both this year....

Yeah theory is a great con man.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I remember him well. He put himself about big style and I think he got a goal and a couple of assists too. I was disappointed when he disappeared.

Yeah, he was a standout but we couldn't sign him.  Didn't see how he did this year but glad we grabbed him.  Good speed and hands, hopefully gets to work on bulking up in Utica.

Interesting, but looking at especially this year's picks, Jannik Hansen rather represents the "Canuck model" now:

- speed

- tenacity

- non-stop motor

- decent shot

- two-way play

That along with the HB's friendly salary and growing leadership might point to him being with the Canucks longer that we may have expected.  I think it also indicates there's a future for guys like Cassels and Zalewski here as well.

9 hours ago, BananaMash said:

I remember really liking Abols when he was with us for a bit during the young stars type event, happy with this pick.

I remember disliking him.   As a Royals fan.  In a good way, but still, he was a Winterhawk...

52 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

The Latvian connection...with Kenins...do we still have him under contract or is he a UFA.

UFA. I would love for him to take a contract in Utica, but I have a feeling he would go back to Europe. I base that on absolutely nothing and maybe he loves it in Utica, but he probably hears the Swiss league calling.

21 hours ago, canucklehead80 said:

Can't say that I know much about him except for what I've read here. Seems like Benning could have something here. Obviously saw something he liked from last year. Looking forward to hopefully follow him this fall in Utica.

From what I saw during prospects camp last year, here's my short (fan) assessment.

Abols plays a physical, puck possession style of play. He doesn't shy away from the net and has good size a speed for a potential bottom 6 NHL position. Seems to have a good hockey IQ and is able to read plays effectively in the offensive zone. His defensive play may have a few gaps, and management feels he could improve on his strength and conditioning. I'm thinking improvements to his back check ie foot speed and net-front presence? Utica seems like the perfect for his conditioning to take place.

Ah yes, an invitee to last years training camp, he was noticeable, however, Abols was unable to be signed due to CBA rules which limit undrafted player's eligibility to be signed (based off # of times passed up the in draft and the number of years they have played professionally; neither of which Abols passed).

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

I remember disliking him.   As a Royals fan.  In a good way, but still, he was a Winterhawk...

A player you hate seeing your team play against eh? That's what we like to hear! BTW GO ROYALS!

I think this was a smart selection and remember management were pumped on this guy. If JB waited a whole year and still selected him than he must have seen some unique "separating skills" that other GM's missed. Although no where near the talent of Anze Kopitar, I saw a few parallels in the way Abols plays his game. 

31 minutes ago, TripleSedins said:

From what I saw during prospects camp last year, here's my short (fan) assessment.

Abols plays a physical, puck possession style of play. He doesn't shy away from the net and has good size a speed for a potential bottom 6 NHL position. Seems to have a good hockey IQ and is able to read plays effectively in the offensive zone. His defensive play may have a few gaps, and management feels he could improve on his strength and conditioning. I'm thinking improvements to his back check ie foot speed and net-front presence? Utica seems like the perfect for his conditioning to take place.

Ah yes, an invitee to last years training camp, he was noticeable, however, Abols was unable to be signed due to CBA rules which limit undrafted player's eligibility to be signed (based off # of times passed up the in draft and the number of years they have played professionally; neither of which Abols passed).

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like a player worth following, hopefully with the Comets.

At that height I think he should be working on his core conditioning to prepare for the rigours of intense board battles. And I notice our bigger guys get challenged a lot to fight..so he needs to be ready that way too.

Defensively at that size it might be like a Tanev type for our forwards, he's going to frustrate a lot of star players I think like a unwanted blanket.

Archived