The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A disturbing video of a Louisiana man shot to death while pinned down by police has set off a wave of protests

Canorth

3 hours ago, AriGold said:

Terrible what happened to that young man... Sad to say this is in their culture, It needs to change from the bottom to the top, not the other way around.

07c6806f-e0ba-4880-bea1-7e732f116cfd.jpg

I'm so sick of this revisionist history about another gangbanger after he gets killed by police. If you want to know who this pos truly was read the link. If you want to buy the mainstream media, black lives matter bs then don't bother. He wasn't a good person he wasn't innocent he was nothing but a deadbeat dad and a gangbanger. Hearing them talk about what a great guy he was makes me believe it's a problem with the "black culture" where it's cool to slang dope to steal to be in jail. Fix their "thug mentality" then there would be nowhere near as many police shootings of black men.

http://gotnews.com/exclusive-cops-kill-bloods-gang-members-altonsterling/

9 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

I'm so sick of this revisionist history about another gangbanger after he gets killed by police. If you want to know who this pos truly was read the link. If you want to buy the mainstream media, black lives matter bs then don't bother. He wasn't a good person he wasn't innocent he was nothing but a deadbeat dad and a gangbanger. Hearing them talk about what a great guy he was makes me believe it's a problem with the "black culture" where it's cool to slang dope to steal to be in jail. Fix their "thug mentality" then there would be nowhere near as many police shootings of black men.

It doesn't really matter who the suspect was or what his background is, and the fact people always try to dig up dirt to twist things and attempt to justify it is pathetic. And the police know they can get away with it because there's bunch of morons like you who will say the exact same thing, that he was just a thug or a criminal. The issue is they had him pinned to the ground and there was zero reason to shoot him at that point. There's just no sound logic for doing that and it doesn't matter who the person is. Resisting arrest isn't a reason to murder somebody. It doesn't take that long to put a pair of handcuffs on the guy and put him in a police car. And if he keeps resisting, well, you keep working to take control of the situation. I don't know what the actual procedure is because I'm not a police officer but I'm pretty sure its not "shoot the suspect until he dies and hope nobody's recording it". I'm so tired of seeing these racist cops ending people's lives on a split second decision that defies everything they should've learned to do in proper training.

"he was nothing but a deadbeat dad":

Racism has to be systemic for it to be racism. There may have been racist behavior or bigotry toward Black Canadian but I doubt there was institutionalized racism. I worked with and for many Black Canadians throughout my 35 years in the Military. 

Too little info in this shooting to make a judgement call but it certainly looks like an killing. 

3 hours ago, Canorth said:

"None of the numbers are supported by official sources. The figures on black-on-white homicides and white-on-white homicides are wildly inaccurate. And, as several news organizations quickly noted, the "Crime Statistics Bureau" doesn’t exist. We looked for that agency as well and the closest we found in San Francisco were a number of crime scene clean-up services."

http://qz.com/556988/here-are-four-charts-on-race-and-murder-in-america-to-tweet-back-at-donald-trump/

The chart has some flaws as you and the link point out, but the underlying point is still valid.  Homicides of black people are far and away caused by other black people in the US.  Based on the below (2013 stats, and 2014 shows similar ratios), 90% of black homicides were done by a black assailant. Considering there are 5 times as many white people as black in the US, it is truly sad that homicide victims are so disproportionately black.

In line with what I presume is @AriGold's sentiment, I feel the focus needs to be put on the family system.  As I have stated/argued in another recent thread, there are too many black families without fathers, and thus black kids growing up without proper guidance and direction.  Improvements on that front will go a hell of a lot further than gun control, or in what seems to be with this case, police brutality.

FWIW, I am not familiar with this particular situation, and my comments here in no way suggest me taking a side one way or another in this particular shooting.  It sounds terrible so far, and I may comment upon it after learning more.  

Race of victim Total Race of offender Sex of offender Ethnicity of offender1
White Black or
African
American
Other1 Unknown Male Female Unknown Hispanic
or Latino
Not
Hispanic
or Latino
Unknown
White 3,005 2,509 409 49 38 2,661 306 38 532 945 1,528
Black or African American 2,491 189 2,245 20 37 2,217 237 37 76 807 1,608

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded-homicide/expanded_homicide_data_table_6_murder_race_and_sex_of_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls

I would say I am now conditioned to these killings that happen every day/week/month, but I am not.   Clearly these officers place no value on life and are willing to take one at their discretion.   Sure we have a hand held celly for video and do not know the entire story but seriously .........WTF is wrong with American police  ? Why do they hire psychopaths and give them licenses to kill ?

4 hours ago, Toews said:

Another damaging effect of Trump's idiotic campaign, the fact that people actually think that image he tweeted is legitimate.

It's a sad age that we live in when people get their information from memes.

24 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Wow...this part actually made me puke in my mouth. 

I hope it tasted good.

Over two thirds of black kids are in single-parent homes down here.  The vast majority of violent criminals (regardless of race) are from single-parent homes.  Couple that with the large number of black kids living in urban centers and the resulting opportunity for gang exposure makes it even more likely to follow a more dangerous life path.

But I know for a fact that had I had a father, I'd have some discipline. I'd have more confidence. Your mother cannot calm you down the way a man can. Your mother can't reassure you the way a man can. My mother couldn't show me where my manhood was. You need a man to teach you how to be a man.   (Tupac Shakur)

The Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency reports that the most reliable indicator of violent crime in a community is the proportion of fatherless families. Fathers typically offer economic stability, a role model for boys, greater household security, and reduced stress for mothers. This is especially true for families with adolescent boys, the most crime-prone cohort. Children from single-parent families are more prone than children from two-parent families to use drugs, be gang members, be expelled from school, be committed to reform institutions, and become juvenile murderers. Single parenthood inevitably reduces the amount of time a child has in interaction with someone who is attentive to the child's needs, including the provision of moral guidance and discipline. According to a 1993 Metropolitan Life Survey, "Violence in America's Public Schools," 71 percent of teachers and 90 percent of law enforcement officials state that the lack of parental supervision at home is a major factor that contributes to the violence in schools. Sixty-one percent of elementary students and 76 percent of secondary children agree with this assessment.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=167327

I see, people jumping on the bandwagon again before the whole story comes out.  Videos I saw doesn't show everything, in fact, OP's link to video was pretty sh*tty quality ... I have no idea what happened from that one, 1/2 of it was pointed at the car seat.  

Something happened before the video ... I heard reports that the victim threatened someone with a gun.  Calm down people and let all the facts come out before you all taking out membership with Black Lives Matter and organize a march.    

10 hours ago, AriGold said:

Terrible what happened to that young man... Sad to say this is in their culture, It needs to change from the bottom to the top, not the other way around.

07c6806f-e0ba-4880-bea1-7e732f116cfd.jpg

7 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

As a black American- a proud one, at that- and likely only one on this site, I can assure you this is not a part of MY culture. And if you truly believe that it is then I pity you with the very core of my being.

Closer and clearer video. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/baton-rouge-store-owner-says-his-video-shows-cops-murdered-n604841

*edit*  No joke.  Even though there's no blood, that closer/clearer video is rough to watch.

*2nd edit*  I just found and posted the longer video showing the immediate aftermath of the shooting a couple posts down.

9 hours ago, Toews said:

I think it's our neighbours down south. Their racism is so pronounced that it dwarfs ours in comparison. They definitely have it much worse than us down there but that doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist in Canada as well. 

Just because first nations people had it worse doesn't mean that there wasn't racism faced by the black community.

I actually encounter racism more often in Canada than in the U.S, albeit if you run into racially hostile people in the U.S., they are a lot more likely to be violent and extreme, pick your poison.

This video shows another 10 seconds of the shooting that the mainstream media link that I posted cut off.  The cops floated the idea that the guy was holding the gun.  The video shows the cop pulling it out of his pocket while he lays dying and bleeding on the ground.

Fair warning.  Link in the spoiler box.  It show's him being shot and bleeding during the last seconds of his life.  Don't open the box and click on the link then complain about it to me.  You've been warned.

I recognize this is a sad story, with a father dying at the hands of overly aggressive police. But still, I got kind of hung up on one of the bits of info... The part about him selling CDs. Do people still buy CDs??

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

I recognize this is a sad story, with a father dying at the hands of overly aggressive police. But still, I got kind of hung up on one of the bits of info... The part about him selling CDs. Do people still buy CDs??

Guess so.  My guess is that they were bootleg CDs that he burned with his computer.

The guy should have been jail bound for resisting arrest but not flat out executed.  Oddly enough there were protests in Philadelphia today.  I wouldn't be shocked if the spread tomorrow to LA, Chicago, NYC, Atlanta, etc.

7 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Just watched a video on Facebook of a black man being shot 4 times by a cop and was being streamed live today by his girlfriend. 

Unreal...its an epidemic. 

I just made a new post about it.

Archived