The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most intense rivalry the Canucks will have?

Canuckler87

Gone are the days that the Blackhawks were our biggest rival (yeah, remember those days?). I still remember circling the games on the calendar where we would meet them in the regular season and it seemed like they were always our biggest postseason rival for a few years. And then Burrows slayed the dragon , oh what a feeling!

But now, I feel as though one of either the Oilers or the Flames will emerge as our biggest rival. All three Western Canadian teams are either in a rebuild or retool. And all three have promising young pieces. It's going to be a dog fight for sure for atleast the next decade! In this decade who are you expecting to emerge and take the mantle from the Blackhawks as our biggest foe?

Personally I'd go Oilers. Only because they've been so bad for so long, but now they have Mcdavid so they can only get better (right?). If they get to the point where they are a cup contender, hopefully we'll be right there with them. New Canucks core against the Mcdavid era Oilers. What a rivalry that would be, especially if we were to meet in the playoffs down the line.

Thoughts?

The Flames and Oilers actually have the core pieces to work towards being a meaningful Cup contender. We're barely getting started on recouping our young talent.

Those rivalries will begin in 5-6 years. Once the Sedin's retire we better get ready to see the flipside of our 2011 relationship with the Albertan teams. And it's going to be like that for a while.

35 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

The Flames and Oilers actually have the core pieces to work towards being a meaningful Cup contender. We're barely getting started on recouping our young talent.

Those rivalries will begin in 5-6 years. Once the Sedin's retire we better get ready to see the flipside of our 2011 relationship with the Albertan teams. And it's going to be like that for a while.

No it won't lol in 5-6 years we'll get even more talent and pieces and we'll be right with them.

Calgary and Edmonton are on the rise and we will be soon as well. The Cali rivalry right now of LA, SJS, and ANA will slowly fade away and the Western Canadian rivalry will be reborn.

For me it is the Oilers, used to be the Flames.

Partly jealous, but I just hate their guts. Not just their team but also their management and handling of their assets which has vacuumed lottery picks from other teams for almost a decade now because they have no idea how to build a team through a balanced roster. 

Then Puljujarvi falls on their lap this year, makes me sick.

Chiarreli's face when CBJ picked Dubois makes me violent.

Something about McDavid bugs me also and it's not just his jersey.

Plus our hometown BC boys like Lucic and Schultz pick them because they get suckered into phone calls from Gretzky and the hope of playing with McMiserable.

The way Lucic gushed about playing with a 19 year old kid, was embarrassing. Bugs me that McDavid has played half a season and grown men act like little girls from the 60's front row at a Beatles concert.

If Boston was playing Edmonton in the SCF, go Bruins.

I have way way more respect for Calgary than I do for the Oilers.

We don't have any true rivals. True rivalries need both groups considering the other their biggest rival.

Flames? They have the Oilers.

Oilers? See above

Blackhawks? Any Hawks fan worth their salt will always consider the Red Wings their Rival?

Any LA based team has the other LA based teams.

I don't think this team has ever really had a true rivalry. Probably won't ever have one either until Seattle gets a team.

27 minutes ago, EmployeeoftheMonth said:

We don't have any true rivals. True rivalries need both groups considering the other their biggest rival.

Oilers? See above

Blackhawks? Any Hawks fan worth their salt will always consider the Red Wings their Rival?

I don't think this team has ever really had a true rivalry. Probably won't ever have one either until Seattle gets a team.

SJ is up there then. Hated them since Thornton's facewash on Henrik. I want Gudbranson to watch that footage on a loop before every game against him, Thornton never had to answer for that disrespect.

Hawks-Wings has faded away since the Wings-Avalanche, and especially since Detroit went to the east. A buddy of mine is from St.Louis and thinks STL-CHI are each others biggest rivals now.

Really want Seattle to get a team for this exact reason.

53 minutes ago, EmployeeoftheMonth said:

Oilers? See above

You don't think this team ever had a true rivalry? I guess you're one of the fans who started watching in 2015 then. Because Boston and Chicago were huge rivals to us

Archived