The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most intense rivalry the Canucks will have?

Canuckler87

I think in the Flames and Oilers, as many have said, will be our biggest rivals. Though I will miss the days of the Blackhawks, I'm looking forward to Virtanen laying out McDavid.

I'll say Calgary with Edmonton coming in close 2nd. For whatever reason there's always a scrap/line brawl to watch whenever we play Calgary and there's never really history between the players either. Edmonton will be improved this year and I know Lucic is gonna make that rivalry even better.

The Canucks have a lot of work to do before they're good enough to be considered anyone's rivals.  A lot of people are saying Edmonton, Calgary and California teams.  I think the California teams will have fallen off by the time Vancouver has a good team.  Calgary and Edmonton are going to be on another level and not be concerned with us. 

14 hours ago, Canuckler87 said:

Gone are the days that the Blackhawks were our biggest rival (yeah, remember those days?). I still remember circling the games on the calendar where we would meet them in the regular season and it seemed like they were always our biggest postseason rival for a few years. And then Burrows slayed the dragon , oh what a feeling!

But now, I feel as though one of either the Oilers or the Flames will emerge as our biggest rival. All three Western Canadian teams are either in a rebuild or retool. And all three have promising young pieces. It's going to be a dog fight for sure for atleast the next decade! In this decade who are you expecting to emerge and take the mantle from the Blackhawks as our biggest foe?

Personally I'd go Oilers. Only because they've been so bad for so long, but now they have Mcdavid so they can only get better (right?). If they get to the point where they are a cup contender, hopefully we'll be right there with them. New Canucks core against the Mcdavid era Oilers. What a rivalry that would be, especially if we were to meet in the playoffs down the line.

Thoughts?

Well although not in the Canucks division a better Canadian team might be Winnipeg. There isn't much to look forward to in the Canucks except Tryamkin and Julevi, but they say they are going to make Julevi stay with London knights.

Calgary will always be a rival because they're the closest, and there used to be a lot of BC fans filling up the Saddledome when the Canucks played. Another reason for me to hate both Alberta teams is because of the number of loudly pro-Alberta sports commentators in Canada.

The Blackhawks used to be, but I think that's fallen off, I think because a lot of the players we all used to hate aren't there anymore (except for the dirty Duncan Keith). And it'll be the same for the Bruins once Marchand and the rest of the guys from the 2011 cup are gone, I think. I don't know, I can't imagine not hating the Bruins, it feels like that simmering anger isn't far under the surface. I'm just speaking for myself here.

I'm saying its going to be the Flames..their fanbase feel pretty smug that they will be fighting for a playoff spot...while we will be at the very bottom...I seem to recall them being full of themselves a year ago,only to regress back into a bottom feeder variety.

Have the Flames solved their goaltending issues.?.Im not convinced..,Elliott is not a proven #1...and their team was horrendous last season,so were we (but at least we had a ton of injuries as an excuse)...I believe the Canucks have made the better upgrades this off season.

Both teams will most likely be neck and neck in the standings this upcoming season..should make for some spirited hockey.

When Kes used to play here, everyone hated the Canucks. Now for this season I'd have to say the Canucks biggest rivals are probably just the west coast teams, although they still aren't true rivals. It's hard to have rivals when you never make the playoffs. I'd say the Hawks because of the Sedin-Keith incident and possibly the Oilers this year because of Lucic.

12 hours ago, Nex is my ex said:

You don't think this team ever had a true rivalry? I guess you're one of the fans who started watching in 2015 then. Because Boston and Chicago were huge rivals to us

Yeah, it typically takes playoffs to create real rivalries.  But at least the Canucks, Flames, and Oilers appear to be improving, as it's hard to be rivals when you're all fighting over who's the worst team.

20 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

The Flames and Oilers actually have the core pieces to work towards being a meaningful Cup contender. We're barely getting started on recouping our young talent.

Those rivalries will begin in 5-6 years. Once the Sedin's retire we better get ready to see the flipside of our 2011 relationship with the Albertan teams. And it's going to be like that for a while.

I think it could be reminiscent of the '80s.

None of the teams that should be our rivals respect the Canucks.  The Cali teams, the Oilers, and Flames will all expect the Canucks to be in the bottom of the division.  Fortunately the Canucks will surprise this season with a hard work ethic and solid team play.  Horvat, Sutter, Virtanen, Rodin and Baertschi will all have surprisingly good offensive seasons.  Tryamkin and Guds will be towers of strength on D.   As the season moves along the rivalries will build with the Oilers and Flames as they discover that they are still not better than us.  That's my prediction.  

Archived