The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you could choose which one would it be?

Ronalds.Kenins41

Best Style of Play  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Why can't we have both a high offense game with a good defense?

4 th and third line have a defensive role while second and 1st have offensive role. But you win by scoring goals so if you have 1st and 2nd line equally matched the offense from 3rd or 4th will make the difference(pits Bones line)

14 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

actually, our 2011 team was one of the only teams in NHL history to be in the top 5 in O,D,PK and PP. If Boston wouldn't have hacked the cup out of our hands, that team would have gone down as one of the most completely balanced Stanley cup champions ever. IMHO. 

That's the most positive thing I think I've actually seen from you. +1

14 minutes ago, Ronalds.Kenins41 said:

We are at a cross roads in a very fluid state right now; we can trend either way. By no means am I saying its all set in stone but with boeser, horvat, jullevi and Baertschi we build around them for a high tempo team. Most likely though we will need a lot more work though. With gudbranson, trymakin and virtanen, Horvat we can go for a more defensive style. We can even do both as well. 

Jim Benning is building from the net out but he is nowhere near done with the forwards though. Doesn't mean we should think he is making a Boston Bruins team. A lot can and will change. 

If you look at the High tempo teams around the league they all have something in common. High Tempo Offense starts with High Tempo dmen We don't have those right now. 

14 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

actually, our 2011 team was one of the only teams in NHL history to be in the top 5 in O,D,PK and PP. If Boston wouldn't have hacked the cup out of our hands, that team would have gone down as one of the most completely balanced Stanley cup champions ever. IMHO. 

Stupid injuries. Its impressive we even made it to Game 7 now with hindsight. Our entire d core and top 3 centres all injured. Given time people will come to respect that team. 

The 2011 team was good but was neutralized with the aggressive play of Boston. We had no pushback for that. It got pretty pathetic and we all know how it played out. If we had a few aggressive players that was mixed in with our skilled players it would have turned out differently. IMO. Guys like Lucic and that little weasel "Marchand" would have been ineffective. Imagine if we ran their goalie a little and threw him just a little off his game. Coulda,shoulda woulda! :angry:

21 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

If you look at the High tempo teams around the league they all have something in common. High Tempo Offense starts with High Tempo dmen We don't have those right now. 

Linden did always say he wants us to be a high tempo team. Trust in Linden, sincerely always. 

12 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

The 2011 team was good but was neutralized with the aggressive play of Boston. We had no pushback for that. It got pretty pathetic and we all know how it played out. If we had a few aggressive players that was mixed in with our skilled players it would have turned out differently. IMO. Guys like Lucic and that little weasel "Marchand" would have been ineffective. Imagine if we ran their goalie a little and threw him just a little off his game. Coulda,shoulda woulda! :angry:

Kane made Chara look like a pylon in 2013 we made him look like a god. Why? Cause both Hank and Kesler were injured and we lost our one two punch that were so effective in the other series. Nashville shutdown the Sedins but left Kesler open so he scored a ton. Sharks shut down Kesler so Sedins scored a ton. When both were injured in the next series we had nothing hence the 8 goals in 7 games. But that's the past whatever. 

12 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

As it could be noted in this year's playoffs, the whistle basically goes in the pocket and the media drives the fans attitude regardless of the incidents.

The 94 team was big, hit hard, had scoring through out the line up thanks to the numerous top draft picks (traded from other teams) Linden and Bure, very mean defencemen.

The 2011 team was basically hated by the media, Ferraro did a hatch job on the Nucks.

On offence three forwards and a rover. Best defence is played in the other team's zone.

On defence, 4 players back and one edging towards a break away constantly, keeping the opposition defence from too much pinching. The team is already not bad at killing penalties so 4 + 1 might detract their offence.

Each line could have a different role/system of playing, that way players can be used in their strengths rather than a cookie cutter/square peg in a round hole model, maybe even 5 man units if each is using a rover.

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I'd have to say Linden era before he left as the WCE could not do anything in the playoffs!!

I see similarities in the WCE and the Sedins in that they were suceptable to aggresive play and the results were being unsuccessful in the playoffs where aggressiveness increases as opposed to the regular season. They tried it with Bure as well but we all know what happened to Churla in that regard.:lol:

23 hours ago, Ronalds.Kenins41 said:

I never implied that Boston and LA are low scoring. But its about what you specialize in. The high tempo style does result in MORE goals. But like I said there is no right or wrong answer. 

Some people are entertained by bure and Patrick Kane type players and a lot of speed throughout their team . Others prefer kronwall type hits and Thomas type saves. It really is personal opinion. 

Chicago has beaten both la and Boston. LA has beaten Chicago in their second cup. Boston has beaten Pittsburgh. Both styles are equally successful it really just depends on what you enjoy. 

You're right for some reason I could've sworn somewhere in this thread I saw something about the style of play I mentioned being overly defensive.

21 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I see similarities in the WCE and the Sedins in that they were suceptable to aggresive play and the results were being unsuccessful in the playoffs where aggressiveness increases as opposed to the regular season. They tried it with Bure as well but we all know what happened to Churla in that regard.:lol:

Sedins deal with aggressive play all the time. In their early years that's when they couldn't deal with it. When they get pressured they begin passing the puck. They just need someone open for them to pass it and someone to get the puck for them. That's why they worked so well in the seasons Ehrhoff was here. They had someone to keep the puck in the line and make a high percentage play. Also burrows was better at stealing the puck back then and was usually open. What they do struggle with is an excellent defensive team because they don't score off the rush and aren't exactly known for their speed. As a result they score mostly on the cycle or pp. Their aim is to create a high quality scoring chance and thereby increasing their chances of scoring. When all their passing options are covered they end up with a low quality shot on net, easy save and then people on here screaming their heads off. If they have the right tools and are 4 plays ahead like they used to be then they would be scoring more on these teams. But times have changed. 

I like the Sedins but to me they are now trade bait at the TDL so we could get a young C that can be out next 1C or keep them till they retire but me I'd rather get something for them.If Bure stayed healthy and got the C he wanted he would have been miles ahead of the twins with points, never happened but he is still the best Point per game player we have ever had!

Archived