The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Transgender student files lawsuit against school district over bathroom use

Toews

"KENOSHA, Wis. -

A Tremper High School transgender student has filed a federal lawsuit against the Kenosha Unified School District. 

The lawsuit claims Ashton Whitaker, a transgender boy, has been denied access to male-designated restrooms at his high school, subjected to daily surveillance and threatened with disciplinary action if he continued using the boys’ restrooms.

The complaint alleges that discriminatory actions, including a proposal that all transgender students be made to wear bright green wristbands in order to monitor their restroom use, school administrators’ insistence on using Whitaker's birth name and female pronouns and the school’s repeated isolation of Whitaker from his peers on overnight school trips, violate Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and the Equal Protection Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

"My peers and many of my teachers know me as a boy, and have been incredibly supportive,” Whitaker said. “But the school administrators have made my life miserable every school day since this spring, when they told me I could no longer use the boys’ restrooms, which I’d been using with the support of my classmates for months. I worry about how I’m going to navigate the demands of senior year if I can’t even go to the bathroom without worrying that I’m being watched."

“Transgender youth should have the same opportunity as all other students to go to school and get an education without being singled out for harassment and discrimination by school administrators,” said Transgender Law Center Executive Director Kris Hayashi. “It is past time for schools to get in line with the law and treat all their students, including transgender students like Ash, fairly and equally."

A complaint was filed in May with the Department of Education's Civil Rights Division alleging that administrators at Tremper High School were discriminating against Whitaker.

WISN 12 News contacted the school district Tuesday night for comment on this lawsuit but have not heard back. In past stories WISN 12 News reporter Christina Palladino has done, the district has said it's working on a policy that meets transgender students' needs.

Whitaker will be a senior this year."

The transgender bathroom issue has been going for a while so I thought we could use a thread to discuss it. Seems silly to me that this is actually a big deal.

Apparently it's important to some that they are always sharing a bathroom with people who were born of the same gender. 

26 minutes ago, Toews said:

The transgender bathroom issue has been going for a while so I thought we could use a thread to discuss it. Seems silly to me that this is actually a big deal.

Apparently it's important to some that they are always sharing a bathroom with people who were born of the same gender. 

I don't want people standing next to me at the urinal, regardless of gender. It's just plain weird.

I can see why people would be afraid. Your (not OP, just general expression) son/daughter is in the bathroom and there could be someone molesting them, or getting off on being in the bathroom with a "different" gender. 

Side note: I'm going to assume that a lot of people who think this way also think that illegal immigrants roam the streets looking for crimes to commit.

First off, there are no cases - ever - of a transgender person abusing someone in a bathroom. Even still, the people who do that are criminals just as someone who is (and I can't believe I'm using this term) cis-gender would be and it shouldn't be reflected on the trans population as a whole. 

Second, empathy is key here. If you thought you were meant to be something other than what you were born as, would you be happy if people stopped you from being who you thought you were? People take this stuff hard, and even commit suicide over it (I mean, at that point, it's more than bathrooms, but still).

Third, why would you want someone who looks like a woman entering the men's washroom? Or vice versa?

The only thing I think is at least kind of a bit screwy is furries. Call me a bigot if you want, but that's just plain weird.

4 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

The only thing I think is at least kind of a bit screwy is furries. Call me a bigot if you want, but that's just plain weird.

What about two girls one cup?

What about the people that are only attracted to pregnant women? Saw it on Shameless.

What about the people that like to pretend that they are horses? I think I saw it on an episode of Mentalist.

Apparently there is something called armpit sex.

Then there is the Hoboken Squat Cobbler aka Full Moon Pie aka Boston Cream Splatt

Ok the last one isn't real as its a joke from Better Call Saul but you can literally come up with the wildest thing and you will find that people have fetishised (is that a word?) it. 

So yeah lots of stuff out there that is extremely "screwy" that makes furry look tame in comparison lol.

Just now, Toews said:

What about two girls one cup?

What about the people that are only attracted to pregnant women? Saw it on Shameless.

What about the people that like to pretend that they are horses? I think I saw it on an episode of Mentalist.

Apparently there is something called armpit sex.

Then there is the Hoboken Squat Cobbler aka Full Moon Pie aka Boston Cream Splatt

Ok the last one isn't real as its a joke from Better Call Saul but you can literally come up with the wildest thing and you will find that people have fetishised (is that a word?) it. 

So yeah lots of stuff out there that is extremely "screwy" that makes furry look tame in comparison lol.

Rule 34, right?

Ummmm yeah, there's tons of stuff that's weird (like ketchup on KD) but I was meaning along the lines of the gender identity discussion. Pretty sure people can't sexually identify as 2 girls 1 cup :P 

I believe the fear or resistance is not with actual transgendered people using their preferred sex bathroom, it's that if you have a law that allows this, then you'll have the possibility of people looking like males going into female bathrooms and vice versa.  People don't see the problem with this and the possible abuse?  

4 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

I believe the fear or resistance is not with actual transgendered people using their preferred sex bathroom, it's that if you have a law that allows this, then you'll have the possibility of people looking like males going into female bathrooms and vice versa.  People don't see the problem with this and the possible abuse?  

What about men abusing boys in male bathrooms or women abusing girls in female bathrooms? How do you stop that?

4 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

Good point, make all bathrooms private, I guess, with its own door and stall.  Costly but .... 

That's one option.

The sucky part is this: 9/10 times, the abuse is done by someone the victim knows.

If you're that concerned about your child being abused by a predator in a public bathroom, why not just go into the room with them?  You don't literally have to go into the stall with them, but you could wait outside that?

Also, if someone wanted to commit an offence like that, do you think they'd be concerned about which bathroom they're legally allowed to go in to?  They're about to commit a far more serious offence anyways.

I'm not going to lie, I have some personal reservations over the whole transgender movement, but to me this whole bathroom "argument" is just stupid fear-mongering.

3 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

I can see why people would be afraid. Your (not OP, just general expression) son/daughter is in the bathroom and there could be someone molesting them, or getting off on being in the bathroom with a "different" gender. 

They might as well be afraid their children will get kidnapped every time they step out the door, the'll get carjacked every time they drive, or their plane will crash every time they fly. Each has a higher rate of occurrence than someone using transgender as a loophole to molest someone in a bathroom.

1 hour ago, Neversummer said:

Good point, make all bathrooms private, I guess, with its own door and stall.  Costly but .... 

Not really. A number of places already have unisex bathrooms with only stalls. Certainly every building has women's bathrooms with individual stalls already, and the men's already has part stalls. Just forget the door portion (that's really only to put the gender sign on anyway) and then have proper stalls for use by everyone.

3 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

Rule 34, right?

Ummmm yeah, there's tons of stuff that's weird (like ketchup on KD) but I was meaning along the lines of the gender identity discussion. Pretty sure people can't sexually identify as 2 girls 1 cup :P 

DUDE!... Say what you want about transgendered people and society, but I will not sit here idly by while you insult the use of Ketchup on KD. It is delicious. Shame on you.

Archived