The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Hudler/Canucks

People that are mad about this rebuild while remaining competitive plan really have no clue. Do you think Edmonton planned to be this bad, this long? People say Toronto is doing it the right way but the only real difference is that Toronto doesn't have players like the Sedins and Burrows who actually mean something to the organization and its fans. Toronto fans couldn't wait to get rid of Kessel and Phanuef. It was an easy tear down because everyone was expendable, both on and off the ice. 

JB has almost completely turned over the roster minus 2 guys that will have their jerseys in the rafters when they retire, a guy that scored arguably the biggest goal in franchise history and will likely be in the ring of honour and then Edler who has a NTC. 

The fact that we are in on Hudler or any other inprovement for that matter is great news. These young guys will have a chance to develop in a winning environment, unlike Edmonton or Toronto. Maybe we won't be getting any top 3 picks, but Benning has shown the ability to get good picks later in the draft and it's not like we're going to win the draft lottery EVER. 

So people...think before you complain about free agent improvements versus the tanking/conceding alternative.

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

My preferences (in order): 

1. Sign Hudler for 1yr 

2. Sign no one 

3. Sign Hudler for 2 yrs

I prefer 2 years. if hudler has a moderately productive year and a middle of the road salary, he'll be perfect bait for expansion.

vegas will want an immediately competitive team and they have to get up over the cap floor, so being able to dangle someone like hudler will help lure them away from guys like gaunce, etem and granlund who they don't want to lose but won't be able to protect. 

if the gamble doesn't pay off, the worst that happens is they're stuck with one more year of an early-mid thirties, soft, middle six forward who will probably be a top 5 point producer on the team and has a relatively reasonable sub-$4 mil salary. 

21 minutes ago, tas said:

I prefer 2 years. if hudler has a moderately productive year and a middle of the road salary, he'll be perfect bait for expansion.

vegas will want an immediately competitive team and they have to get up over the cap floor, so being able to dangle someone like hudler will help lure them away from guys like gaunce, etem and granlund who they don't want to lose but won't be able to protect. 

if the gamble doesn't pay off, the worst that happens is they're stuck with one more year of an early-mid thirties, soft, middle six forward who will probably be a top 5 point producer on the team and has a relatively reasonable sub-$4 mil salary. 

Las Vegas has already said they want a young team.  I don't think they would go for Hudler.  It's near the end of summer and there were no takers up to now.  I also wonder if he is not trying to get an NMC now that there are apparently more suitors re the teams who lost the Vesey sweepstakes.

30 minutes ago, tas said:

It's a good theory.   When I hear anything close to 4 million though ?  Ughhh. It makes me cringe. 

Even with Hudler, this is not a playoff team. The only way we sneak in is if we don't get injuries and other teams get significant ones.

i see us finishing ahead of : Toronto, Columbus, Ottawa, Arizona 

i see see us finishing in a group with: carolina, Edmonton, Avalanche, New Jersey and Buffalo

I say we finish bottom 10.

interesting guys to draft would be Callan Foote and Michael Rasmussen.

if we make a deadline deal, I would want a 1st rounder to use on Jake Oettinger, like Demko, his value will sky rocket after his draft year and we can flip him for a top D or C prospect once that happens

58 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Even with Hudler, this is not a playoff team. The only way we sneak in is if we don't get injuries and other teams get significant ones.

i see us finishing ahead of : Toronto, Columbus, Ottawa, Arizona 

i see see us finishing in a group with: carolina, Edmonton, Avalanche, New Jersey and Buffalo

I say we finish bottom 10.

interesting guys to draft would be Callan Foote and Michael Rasmussen.

if we make a deadline deal, I would want a 1st rounder to use on Jake Oettinger, like Demko, his value will sky rocket after his draft year and we can flip him for a top D or C prospect once that happens

So.......Out of the last 8 years we have missed the playoffs 2 times and one of those years include the Torts year and the other the year we had an unusual amount of key injuries. So how does that make us a team which will not make the playoffs? You are right in that this league is so closely matched these days that a key injury here or there will significantly diminish your teams ability to win games but this will happen to any team not just the Canucks. Do you remember what happened to the Habs when Price went down with an injury? We have automatically improved our ability to score(Erickson) and the ability to defend(Gudbrandson) so we have already improved over last year not to mention Weber will no longer be a detriment and Sutter should be able to help us a lot more than he did last year.

Hudler would give us legit top 6 scoring in which we have not had for a very long time and the ability to have more options on the PP. Really how does this lessen our chances of success.

I really think you would need a crystal ball for all of your mentioned predictions to occur. IMO. :rolleyes:

21 hours ago, bobbyg43 said:

I think you swap out Pedan an Larson to start first quarter season an evaluate from there. If WD is really worth his salt he will find a way to make both achieve expectations this season.

To me it is not clear where they see Gaunce slotting in.I think he is a better player slotted on 4 th line than Granlund.Still a little fuzzy on his fit in lineup . He is NHL ready for that roll now.

Well gaunce/virtanen are the only 2 forwards who can go to the minors without waivers I believe. All 9 defensemen of ours need waivers but I'd rather risk losing Larson than pedan unless Larson really puts on a show in the camp

Archived