The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Hudler/Canucks

6 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

We have 3.5 mil according to general fanager

Ahh, okay thanks. I was looking at total salary on there, not the projected salary cap hit

9 hours ago, cripplereh said:

no scoring more goals then the other teams wins games,but keeping the other team from scoring wins more games.Goalies,Defence then forwards is how to build a winner and so far seems we have a few players who could be great and are unknown for now.i would rather do that then to sign someone else that is soft!

I disagree with building from the net out, as those teams have rarely won Cups in the past 10 years. That said, teams that win Cups seem to have a competent goalie, but not necessarily an elite one. Notables that fit in the net-out approach are the Rangers, St.Louis, Nashville, and New Jersey. Teams that have skill don't need a great goalie, just one that will allow them to win the games that they should. An example of this is in this year's SCF; although Jones stole a couple games, Murray was solid enough throughout the series to allow the better team to win the Cup, despite never stealing a game.

Chicago has had great success with Crawford (and even with Niemi) and Pittsburgh just won (similarly to Carolina back in 2006).

The Kings are successful with a modified net-out approach, as they have Quick, but they also surrounded him with solid d-men and terrific forward depth.

I feel like it should be build from the blue line and up (D-F-G), as d-men are harder to obtain, but once you have them you can build start plugging in some solid forwards. Then when the team in front of the goalie is solid, you just need a competent goalie as the final, rather than the main, piece. 

13 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I disagree with building from the net out, as those teams have rarely won Cups in the past 10 years. That said, teams that win Cups seem to have a competent goalie, but not necessarily an elite one. Notables that fit in the net-out approach are the Rangers, St.Louis, Nashville, and New Jersey. Teams that have skill don't need a great goalie, just one that will allow them to win the games that they should. An example of this is in this year's SCF; although Jones stole a couple games, Murray was solid enough throughout the series to allow the better team to win the Cup, despite never stealing a game.

Chicago has had great success with Crawford (and even with Niemi) and Pittsburgh just won (similarly to Carolina back in 2006).

The Kings are successful with a modified net-out approach, as they have Quick, but they also surrounded him with solid d-men and terrific forward depth.

I feel like it should be build from the blue line and up (D-F-G), as d-men are harder to obtain, but once you have them you can build start plugging in some solid forwards. Then when the team in front of the goalie is solid, you just need a competent goalie as the final, rather than the main, piece. 

*Cough* Edmonton *cough*

Just now, numb3r 16 said:

*Cough* Edmonton *cough*

I guess I should've been more clear. Edmonton has a bunch of raw skill, but that's pretty useless on the ice. It's the tapped skill and cohesion that I was referring to. Also, Edmonton lacks true skill on the blue line, which pretty much makes any goalie a piece of Swiss cheese.

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

I agree that building the team fro goalie out is the way to go.  Is that a function of goals (for and against) or is it simply a function of age?  Goalies and ?D take more time to develope and peak at an older age than forwards, right?  So the goalie and D will be what, 4 to 5 years older than the top forwards?  

No as we have two young goalies that should be in the top few and our young D group looks good.That is a good thing we have going for the next many years 5 to 10.After that we have a few young forwards which we need one or two more to get to the elite level in the NHL within three to five years!!

8 hours ago, c00kies said:

I guess I should've been more clear. Edmonton has a bunch of raw skill, but that's pretty useless on the ice. It's the tapped skill and cohesion that I was referring to. Also, Edmonton lacks true skill on the blue line, which pretty much makes any goalie a piece of Swiss cheese.

I would trade their team for our team straight up  today. Raw or not, that group is scary. So far there is not much to fear, but it's coming. They have the wrong (insert all forms of coaching and management) running things.

6 hours ago, Realtor Rod said:

I would trade their team for our team straight up  today. Raw or not, that group is scary. So far there is not much to fear, but it's coming. They have the wrong (insert all forms of coaching and management) running things.

Most would agree including myself.  However part of what they needed is a face lift, or an identity change.  Moving Hall was the fastest way to do that.  They got shredded in that deal, but Klefbom - Larsson will be a solid top 4 pairing for the next decade.  McDavid will further set himself apart  as the best player in the world very shortly...  Draisaitl, RNH, Puljujaarvi, Lucic, Eberle, Maroon, Kassian...  They now have size and elite skill in the top 9.  Nurse will be a stud, bet on that.  IMO they are ONE Dman and a couple bottom 6 role players away from perennial contender-ship, and they have a HUGE window to find that player with assets up front to find him.  Also a mighty attractive spot for UFAs to head...  Dont be surprised if Shattenkirk finds his way there.

6 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Most would agree including myself.  However part of what they needed is a face lift, or an identity change.  Moving Hall was the fastest way to do that.  They got shredded in that deal, but Klefbom - Larsson will be a solid top 4 pairing for the next decade.  McDavid will further set himself apart  as the best player in the world very shortly...  Draisaitl, RNH, Puljujaarvi, Lucic, Eberle, Maroon, Kassian...  They now have size and elite skill in the top 9.  Nurse will be a stud, bet on that.  IMO they are ONE Dman and a couple bottom 6 role players away from perennial contender-ship, and they have a HUGE window to find that player with assets up front to find him.  Also a mighty attractive spot for UFAs to head...  Dont be surprised if Shattenkirk finds his way there.

Friedman had that they were going to trade for Shattenkirk but he apparently wants to return back East and was not willing to sign an extension with them.  

37 minutes ago, 70seven said:

:lol:. This is a funny post.  Eberle? Maroon?  Kassian?  Draisatl?  RNH?  Nurse?  Puljiijarvi?  :lol:

3 hours ago, 70seven said:

Agreed, they should have signed Hammer.

19 hours ago, c00kies said:

Good point.  Good D make an average goalie look good and bad D make a good goalie look bad.

That's a generalization.  Obviously a supreme talent like Carey Price is an exception.

4 hours ago, 70seven said:

If Shattenkirk makes it to Edmonton, he won't be there for long. He will be the leading FA defence man next year.  Lots of options and Edmontom will have very stiff competition to resign if they trade for him. 

Secondly to the above point. Edmonton will have to be way more concerned about cap space moving forward. McJessus will be top dollar, same with Larssen.  They already have 6m per for Lucic, RNH and Eberle.  Puljarvi will also require top dollar. 

That and every FA will ask for top dollar to play in Northern Alberta. Sooner or later something will have to give salary wise. 

10 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

If Shattenkirk makes it to Edmonton, he won't be there for long. He will be the leading FA defence man next year.  Lots of options and Edmontom will have very stiff competition to resign if they trade for him. 

Secondly to the above point. Edmonton will have to be way more concerned about cap space moving forward. McJessus will be top dollar, same with Larssen.  They already have 6m per for Lucic, RNH and Eberle.  Puljarvi will also require top dollar. 

That and every FA will ask for top dollar to play in Northern Alberta. Sooner or later something will have to give salary wise. 

It's not just the coming Cap issues, it's whether the players get, or are already, married that is an issue with Edmonton.  Gretzky left when he got married, and then Pronger plays one season and he's out, because his wife couldn't stand life there.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

It's not just the coming Cap issues, it's whether the players get, or are already, married that is an issue with Edmonton.  Gretzky left when he got married, and then Pronger plays one season and he's out, because his wife couldn't stand life there.  

Actually it was because Pronger was banging a local reporter.

Archived