The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler or Tanev

VIC_CITY

Edler or Tanev  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Gudbranson wasn't even #2 on Florida, how do you figure he is the #1 D for the Canucks?

He was drafted #3 overall Edler was #91. Gudb is 24 and plays like Edler should play, you know the way Edler played 5+ years ago  

if Gudb is not our #1 than Tanev is. Maybe Olli will be #1 by the end of the year

plus i base my ranking on their potential not on what they did years ago. Edler is heading down hill and Gudb, tanev, olli, hutton and tram are all heading up hill. 

we are doomed if the give away king Edler is #1 again. 

10 minutes ago, Kokanee king said:

He was drafted #3 overall Edler was #91. Gudb is 24 and plays like Edler should play, you know the way Edler played 5+ years ago  

if Gudb is not our #1 than Tanev is. Maybe Olli will be #1 by the end of the year

we are doomed if the give away king Edler is again. 

I absolutely LOVE when people call Edler the turnover king!

Edler averages .77 turnovers per game. Meaning he turns the puck over ~ 3 times over 4 games.
Subban on the other hand turns over the puck 1.56 times per game. TJ Brodie 1.3; Burns 1.26; Klingberg 1.06; Letang .97; Goligosky .89.

So there you go, myth busted, you're wrong.

You see what I mean? Tanev doesn't have the possession numbers to say he could be a #1. Edler does. If you like your eye tests, Tanev looked shaky when Edler was injured. 

Gudbranson COULD become a #1D, if he figured out how to put the puck in the net, and he is a great D-man, I think he will be better than Tanev, but right now Edler is the best D on the Canucks.

Also, as good as Olli is, I don't see him making the lineup this year, or next.

12 minutes ago, Kokanee king said:

plus i base my ranking on their potential not on what they did years ago. Edler is heading down hill and Gudb, tanev, olli, hutton and tram are all heading up hill. 

we are doomed if the give away king Edler is #1 again. 

Also, since when does draft position matter? Edler was a steal at 91.

Edler 5 years ago is way better than Gudbranson has ever been.

On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 8:38 AM, VIC_CITY said:

Sorry for another Edler post but I think this needs to be settled once and for all!

It's only a matter of time before Edler gives me a brain aneurysm. IMO he is a decent 2nd pairing defenseman but he is no where near elite in any area of his game and his brain farts are of the epic proportion. He does score at a higher clip than Tanev, although injuries have limited him to just under 24 points/year over the last 4 seasons. He also hits quite a bit more than Tanev, although nothing like he used to a number of years ago.

Tanev is limited offensively, but has managed just under 19 points over the last 3 seasons (when he became a regular in the Canucks lineup). Perhaps it is unfair to use Edler's season 4 years ago since I'm only using Tanev's last 3 seasons, but I feel it is important because of Edler's consistent injury history, as well as it's one year closer to Edler's career year, when he was in his prime. But back to Tanev. IMO he is bordering on elite defensively, which make up for any offensive deficiencies.

Now, keep in mind this is from my point of view. Lots of Canucks fans see things differently and view Edler as the far superior defenseman. So let's finalize this once and for all. Who you got?!

So this thread will settle it once and for all eh? Well i hope your able to sleep better after this is settled but to be honest the question is dumb and the answer is obvious...tanev.

19 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I absolutely LOVE when people call Edler the turnover king!

Edler averages .77 turnovers per game. Meaning he turns the puck over ~ 3 times over 4 games.
Subban on the other hand turns over the puck 1.56 times per game. TJ Brodie 1.3; Burns 1.26; Klingberg 1.06; Letang .97; Goligosky .89.

So there you go, myth busted, you're wrong.

You see what I mean? Tanev doesn't have the possession numbers to say he could be a #1. Edler does. If you like your eye tests, Tanev looked shaky when Edler was injured. 

Gudbranson COULD become a #1D, if he figured out how to put the puck in the net, and he is a great D-man, I think he will be better than Tanev, but right now Edler is the best D on the Canucks.

Also, as good as Olli is, I don't see him making the lineup this year, or next.

wow, not one of the guys you mentioned is a canuck so i don't care, plus WATCH a game Edler gives the puck away a hell of a lot more than that. friendly stat keepers at home i guess. 

Tanev look shaky without edler? eye test? do you watch the games? when was the last time Edler did not look shaky?

Pick one pairing Edler and Sbisa or Tanev and Sbisa. Only a moron would pick the first pair. I can keep it going Edler and Hutton or Tanev and Hutton and so on. 

Gudb could be if he scores more! WTF, Edler score 6 goals last year. so if Gudb scores 7 he is #1. Plus the position is D-fence not O-fence. You must love Karlsson. The last thing in the world i want is gudb doing is trying to score because his job is to defend and to hammer the guys standing in front of the net, that's it. 

Tanev is clearly Edlers babysitter, if you watch the games 

Edler is NOT the best canuck dman and he is bottom pairing on 70% of the teams in the league.  

On 8/19/2016 at 8:38 AM, VIC_CITY said:

Sorry for another Edler post but I think this needs to be settled once and for all!

It's only a matter of time before Edler gives me a brain aneurysm. IMO he is a decent 2nd pairing defenseman but he is no where near elite in any area of his game and his brain farts are of the epic proportion. He does score at a higher clip than Tanev, although injuries have limited him to just under 24 points/year over the last 4 seasons. He also hits quite a bit more than Tanev, although nothing like he used to a number of years ago.

Tanev is limited offensively, but has managed just under 19 points over the last 3 seasons (when he became a regular in the Canucks lineup). Perhaps it is unfair to use Edler's season 4 years ago since I'm only using Tanev's last 3 seasons, but I feel it is important because of Edler's consistent injury history, as well as it's one year closer to Edler's career year, when he was in his prime. But back to Tanev. IMO he is bordering on elite defensively, which make up for any offensive deficiencies.

Now, keep in mind this is from my point of view. Lots of Canucks fans see things differently and view Edler as the far superior defenseman. So let's finalize this once and for all. Who you got?!

So this thread will settle it once and for all eh? Well i hope your able to sleep better after this is settled but to be honest the question is dumb and the answer is obvious...tanev.

8 minutes ago, Kokanee king said:

wow, not one of the guys you mentioned is a canuck so i don't care, plus WATCH a game Edler gives the puck away a hell of a lot more than that. friendly stat keepers at home i guess. 

Tanev look shaky without edler? eye test? do you watch the games? when was the last time Edler did not look shaky?

Pick one pairing Edler and Sbisa or Tanev and Sbisa. Only a moron would pick the first pair. I can keep it going Edler and Hutton or Tanev and Hutton and so on. 

Gudb could be if he scores more! WTF, Edler score 6 goals last year. so if Gudb scores 7 he is #1. Plus the position is D-fence not O-fence. You must love Karlsson. The last thing in the world i want is gudb doing is trying to score because his job is to defend and to hammer the guys standing in front of the net, that's it. 

Edler is NOT the best canuck dman and he is bottom pairing on 70% of the teams in the league.  

Do you even read about the players you hail?

Gudbranson has 11 CAREER GOALS. You think he will literally all of a sudden score he will score over half of his career totals in 1 season? He has a career high of 4 goals in one season. 

Also 

Edler Hutton would be a sick pairing and I think that will be our top pairing come year end. Hutton is sick, he is the one you should be praising, not Tanev or Gudbranon, Hutton is the future #1D on this team.

I honestly feel like I'm debating with a 12 year old.

So by your views, Subban is a horrible d-man. He puts up points but actually is a leader in turnovers per game.

5 minutes ago, Kokanee king said:

You also say Defense is his strongest suit?

Career -49 5 seasons in 

Edler was +33  5 seasons in.

Edler had more points in one season than Gudbrason has put up his entire career. 

13 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

You also say Defense is his strongest suit?

Career -49 5 seasons in 

Edler was +33  5 seasons in.

Edler had more points in one season than Gudbrason has put up his entire career. 

27 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Do you even read about the players you hail?

Gudbranson has 11 CAREER GOALS. You think he will literally all of a sudden score he will score over half of his career totals in 1 season? He has a career high of 4 goals in one season. 

Also 

Edler Hutton would be a sick pairing and I think that will be our top pairing come year end. Hutton is sick, he is the one you should be praising, not Tanev or Gudbranon, Hutton is the future #1D on this team.

I honestly feel like I'm debating with a 12 year old.

So by your views, Subban is a horrible d-man. He puts up points but actually is a leader in turnovers per game.

Again, wow. living in the past. 

so is the edler sbisa line better than tanev sbisa, just wondering.

of course hutton edler would be good but tanev hutton would be better. 

again the position is defence so i do not care about Edlers 72 career goals but it seem low to me. 

how the heck would Edler do playing in Florida for his career?

everyone of our d-men will have a chance at a career year except one. 

everyone of our d-men are on the incline of their careers except one. 

the 12 year old comment is funny for two reason one is because i though you must be some old guy and the second is because even my 13 year old daughter knows edler is on the decline and should be traded  

Defensively I think they're pretty close. Perhaps slight edge to Tanev 

Physically, Edler runs away with it. Tanev is the least intimidating dman in our top 4 or 5 

Offensively, I think Tanev made some strides last year but still it's a win for Edler. 

Overall I don't think it's close, if I had to chose one guy on the team it would be Edler and I wouldn't give it much thought. 

Had Edler been the good Canadian boy and Tanev the swede, you can flip your poll results and the hate for him on these forums would disappear 

On August 19, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Shift-4 said:

Gudbranson

Yes to the above..   But Edler is far better than Tanev.

if Edler can find his old gritty form, we will look mighty intimidating on D this year.

Edler was getting too much ice time last season and eventually wore out.. Hopefully he has had a strong summer and and plays exceptionally for us in a situation where other D can eat up some ice time.

My take on the rumour of Edler being moved to teams of his choice this year is so we can accommodate the bump in salary Gudbranson will ask for at the end of season, and to make Edler a great asset to move, on or before the TDL in 2017.

1 minute ago, Kokanee king said:

Again, wow. living in the past. 

of course hutton edler would be good but tanev hutton would be better. 

again the position is defence so i do not care about Edlers 72 career goals but it seem low to me. 

how the heck would Edler do playing in Florida for his career?

everyone of our d-men will have a chance at a career year except one. 

everyone of our d-men are on the incline of their careers except one. 

the 12 year old comment is funny for two reason one is because i though you must be some old guy and the second is because even my 13 year old daughter knows edler is on the decline and should be traded  

You would make a good politician then, you just dance around every counterpoint and bring up irrelevant things like Edler Sbisa or Tanev Sbisa. You say that Gudbranson is playing better hockey than Edler and how Edler should be playing, or how Edler played 5 years ago. I proved that Edler 5 years ago was WAY better than Gudbranson has ever been, so now that's a moot point. 

If you played hockey ever, you would know that defense is more about just clearing the net and hitting guys (which Tanev does neither). Defense is about getting the puck back, possessing the puck, making good break out passes, getting the puck OUT OF YOUR ZONE and driving the offense from the blue line. All of these things Edler excels at, his corsi and fenwick proves it. When Edler is on the ice, the Canucks possess the puck more than when Tanev is on the ice without Edler as proven by Edler and Tanevs individual corsi numbers. 

You have yet to show any facts other than "What's better Hutton Edler or Tanev Hutton" 

I'm 28 and have played hockey my entire life, and still do. I may not be the greatest player by any means (best goalie in my tier 3 years straight #bragging) but I understand the game, which it does not seem like you do. 

As a goalie, I want a guy who can get the puck and get it into the other teams zone. If you're blocking shots, that means you aren't possessing the puck. Tanev takes away passing lanes and blocks shots, as does Gudbranson, but they have to do that because they don't have the puck. 

7 minutes ago, Kokanee king said:

They fill similar roles. Edler at a far higher level than Sbisa. 

They'd never be a pairing as they don't remotely compliment each other. They also (largely) play the same side. 

You're showing a very elementary knowledge of the position and pairing dynamic. 

2 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

Exactly what is one supposed to be "better" at over the other?

I do think Tanev would be "better" as trade bait, though. Particularly as it pertained to Benning's level of interest in acquiring Subban. Too late now. 

Edler and Subban would have made a pretty killer 1st pair but I'm largely glad we didn't make that move as I'd prefer we focus more on the future than the present.

On 8/20/2016 at 10:46 AM, Fred65 said:

FranklyI think it's the league suspensions that has more effect, of the two suspensions  one was justified. He's a repeat offended in the eyes of the league and will pay personally very dearly.  Sadly Smith has a history of this move

I actually think it was the hit against that rookie from the Sharks. Shouldn't have even been a suspension but instead he gets four games. Brutal

8 hours ago, Kokanee king said:

Disagree!

Im not Talking about last year im talking about this year. Gudb should be #1, tanev is #2, edler is #3 (until traded) i don't think Edler will be on the team at the end of the year. He was asked to waive his NTC.

Edler played 52 games Tanev played 69. Tanev played more than 200 min more than Edler and Tanev played more time short handed. Edler played 25% less games so he should have played more in the games he did play in. 

Edler ice time is because he was on the PP and Tanev was not. How did Edler do on the PP last year or heck the last 4 years? 

of course if Edler played less minutes it would be better because he is not a #1 on any team except this one. Plus you saying he needs less ice time only proves my point!

#1 d men play 27-28 mins a game and don't have their weakness exposed. 

1, 3, 5 D are the more balanced member of the pair and have a certain amount of offensive ability.  2, 4, 6 play a more supporting role and are usually the stay at home member of the pair.  It has nothing to do with which side they play.  This concept was related by Ray Ferraro and is how people in the league rank defensemen according to him.

Based on history then, which is reliable evidence, Tanev or Gudbranson would never be cast as a #1 or #3.  I'd love to see Gudbranson develop the offensive promise he had as a junior but to date he has not lived up to his high draft selection.

Edler played 52 games last year because he had a broken leg.  And it is no coincidence that the Canucks began their slide the night that Edler was injured (and Sutter broke his jaw).

Edler plays on the PP for a reason.  Because he has offensive ability and at 6, he was tied for the most goals by a Canuck defenseman (tied with Matt Bartkowski of all people) and 2nd in points.  I'm not sure who else you would start on the PP.  Gudbranson has 11 goals in 5 seasons.

#1 D men who play 27-28 minutes are rare.  In fact, last season there were only 3:  Karlson 28:58, Suter 28:35, and Doughty 28:01.  We all know that there are about 10 true #1 stud defensemen in the league.  This is a figure that Jim Benning has stated recently.  So most teams don't have a stud #1.  Nobody has called Edler a true #1 stud but he does play in the 1-hole which makes him a #1 D.  He was 18th in the league in terms of ice time last season which puts him in the middle of the pack in a metric that reflects the coaches opinion.  I'm not sure why you think that Edler should have played more if you think he isn't the Canucks best D.

Archived