The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler or Tanev

VIC_CITY

Edler or Tanev  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

My point is (smart ass), you may vote for all the players you have man crushes on, but most of us can tell the difference between a person we like and a player that performs.

I think you're confused.

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I think you're confused.

Am I?

The votes are currently 41 to 15 for Tanev. Did you not suggest that this poll is just a popularity contest? That people would just be voting for who they liked better and not who actually IS better?

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I actually prefer to blame it on how uninformed a lot of Canuck fans are :P

Regardless, they're presently pretty on par for 'value'. They're both #2D's, Edler slightly better, less one dimensional but older and Tanev better defensively and younger but one dimensional.

Any fan poll results (besides being skewed with bias and ignorance) are more a popularity contest than any worthwhile measure of their actual ability or worth anyway. 

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

Am I?

The votes are currently 41 to 15 for Tanev. Did you not suggest that this poll is just a popularity contest? That people would just be voting for who they liked better and not who actually IS better?

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Am I?

It's clear, to hockey people, which player is the more important (better) to a team's success: Edler.  Edler plays a much more difficult game.  If we asked Tanev to play Edler's role he would be horrific at it.  

Edler at his best > Tanev at his best.

Tanev on average > Edler on average. 

Tanev > Edler in the D-zone.

Edler > Tanev in the O-zone.

Edler and Tanev can both pas the puck up to the forwards.

Can't really choose between the two.

3 minutes ago, khay said:

Edler at his best > Tanev at his best.

Tanev on average > Edler on average. 

Tanev > Edler in the D-zone.

Edler > Tanev in the O-zone.

Edler and Tanev can both pas the puck up to the forwards.

Can't really choose between the two.

Edler is heavier, by A LOT.  He is way way better at retrieving pucks, and freeing up pucks by taking hits.  There, tie broken.

Just now, Fanuck said:

Have we even truly seen Tanev at his absolute best yet - or is he just about to enter his prime? 

Tanev is what he is: a solid defensive Dman, who brings no offense and no bite.  He is the one guy on our team we should trade NOW, that could return an elite young forward.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Edler is heavier, by A LOT.  He is way way better at retrieving pucks, and freeing up pucks by taking hits.  There, tie broken.

Being heavy is only good if you use your weight to your advantage. You don't see teams lining up to acquire John Scott. Tanev is always positionally sound, which has a far greater impact on a team's success than any amount of body checks that Edler will throw.

Just now, VIC_CITY said:

Being heavy is only good if you use your weight to your advantage. You don't see teams lining up to acquire John Scott. Tanev is always positionally sound, which has a far greater impact on a team's success than any amount of body checks that Edler will throw.

I didn't mention anything about giving body checks.  I said Edler, BECAUSE HE IS A LOT BIGGER, takes body checks better than Tanev.  That skill alone makes him a far better player at freeing up pucks for his partner and back checking forwards.  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes. I agree.

13 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Have we even truly seen Tanev at his absolute best yet - or is he just about to enter his prime? 

Right. I guess if we have to project to the future to decide between the two, it becomes even harder to decide between the two. But what is your projection of Tanev at his best?

For me, I see Tanev's best as Hamhuis in his prime years. 

8 minutes ago, khay said:

For me, I see Tanev's best as Hamhuis in his prime years. 

If that's his ceiling,  then it means Tanev can be Olympic level  - are we in a position with regards to defensive depth to be trading away that caliber of a player? I don't think so - if you factor in his friendly contract,  his overall value is even higher imo. 

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If that's his ceiling,  then it means Tanev can be Olympic level  - are we in a position with regards to defensive depth to be trading away that caliber of a player? I don't think so - if you factor in his friendly contract,  his overall value is even higher imo. 

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing. If Tanev can be Hamhuis, we have gold in our hands. I don't think we can afford to trade away a player of that calibre. But Tanev hasn't reached that level yet. Let's see if he does.

Edler at hist best I think is still better than Tanev at his best though. Hamhuis was a great positional defender with near elite level skating (not Duncan Keith or Drew Doughty good but very good at getting back on defence and stopping odd man rushes). But at the end of the day, he didn't as much offence to the table as Edler. Tanev isn't as good a skater as Hamhuis was and although it is yet to be seen, he is even worse offensively. Note that Hamhuis put up multiple 30+ points and regularly put up 20+ points where as Tanev can barely hit 20 points. 

Tanev could become even better than Hamhuis defensively because I think Tanev's hockey IQ could be higher than Hamhuis' so we will see how things go.

15 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

tanev ainec

in a couple years Juolevi.

A better question would be in their prime years between Ohlund, Salo and Edler which one was the best? 

Ohlund.

Salo/Edler...that's pretty close but I'll give the nod by a hair to Salo. They actually made a FANTASTIC pair. Better even than the popular amongst fans Ehrhoff/Edler pair IMO.

Archived