The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jets D Jacob Trouba Has Requested Trade

JV77

Honestly, I don't think the Canucks have the assets to acquire Trouba. In order to get Trouba, they're going to want to get a young player with potential or a proven asset that would match Trouba's average of his potential in ceiling and floor. Trouba requested a trade due to the depth on the right side, and with the expansion draft coming up, it only makes sense to trade away a Canuck defender. 

Of the Canuck blueliners...

1) Tryamkin, Stecher, and Larsen

All three defenders that have more potential than trade value... Jets wouldn't want any of those pieces, while the Canucks would value them more than they are worth on the market. Especially since all three of those players are newly acquired. Not to mention I doubt these pieces are going to get a conversation going unless Chevy has been scouting Canuck prospects as heavily as our own management has. I do want to say I'm excited for the potential for all three of those players.

2) Subban, Pedan

Just like the above but worth even less on the trade market. 

3) Sbisa

As good as he is a depth defenseman who brings physicality, Sbisa brings no offense, and is even a defensive liability. With a 3 million dollar price tag attached to him, I really can't see why anybody would want to trade for him let alone for Trouba. I don't even think he'd add value as a throw in- at least not positively anyways.

4)  Hutton, Gudbranson

Both new faces to the organization, both young and still holds great potential. I think these pieces would be good in a realistic trade negotiation. Problem is that trading Gudbranson would be a slight downgrade in physicality, a full downgrade in shutdown defense, and only an upgrade on offense with potential that isn't a sure thing. You'd also be losing a lot of the leadership and mentorship that Gudbranson provides. Due to Canuck needs, this trade just wouldn't make sense. 

As for using Hutton, it would be a lateral trade in youth. Canucks needs to get younger, which means you should use players that are older in a trade, not players in the same draft class. Hutton you get more offense and less physicality. Not to mention, you don't want to trade away a player that you can see possibly pairing up down the road with the player you're trying to acquire. Although the Canucks need what all three of these players being discussed needs, it only makes sense using another piece for this trade. 

5) Edler, Tanev

And finally... Edler and Tanev. Personally, I think trading one of these two players would fit the perfect description of a proven player who is perfectly in between Trouba's absolute ceiling and floor aka a non-optimistic but reasonable projection of what Trouba could become. With Trouba wanting to play on the right side, you might want to consider trading Tanev instead of Edler. Otherwise Trouba would be stuck on the third pairing assuming he's below Gudbranson in the depth chart. With Edler's NTC being taken into consideration might make things a little tricky. Of course, these are just the main pieces. Both sides would add or tinker around with the proposals until they match. 

Vancouver: Tanev + Grenier + Dorsett+ 4th

Winnipeg: Trouba+ Thorburn+ 6th

Is just what I'm guessing. 

Just to be clear, Trouba hasn't had very good offensive output since his rookie year, so you have to take that into account as well.

Winnipeg gets younger switching Thorburn with Grenier (who is waiver eligible) and Dorsett. Getting a youngish player with some bottom 6 potential and a younger gritty player in return. 

Thoughts? 

@Monty probably has an idea?

1 minute ago, suitup said:

Honestly, I don't think the Canucks have the assets to acquire Trouba. In order to get Trouba, they're going to want to get a young player with potential or a proven asset that would match Trouba's average of his potential in ceiling and floor. Trouba requested a trade due to the depth on the right side, and with the expansion draft coming up, it only makes sense to trade away a Canuck defender. 

Of the Canuck blueliners...

1) Tryamkin, Stecher, and Larsen

All three defenders that have more potential than trade value... Jets wouldn't want any of those pieces, while the Canucks would value them more than they are worth on the market. Especially since all three of those players are newly acquired. Not to mention I doubt these pieces are going to get a conversation going unless Chevy has been scouting Canuck prospects as heavily as our own management has. I do want to say I'm excited for the potential for all three of those players.

2) Subban, Pedan

Just like the above but worth even less on the trade market. 

3) Sbisa

As good as he is a depth defenseman who brings physicality, Sbisa brings no offense, and is even a defensive liability. With a 3 million dollar price tag attached to him, I really can't see why anybody would want to trade for him let alone for Trouba. I don't even think he'd add value as a throw in- at least not positively anyways.

4)  Hutton, Gudbranson

Both new faces to the organization, both young and still holds great potential. I think these pieces would be good in a realistic trade negotiation. Problem is that trading Gudbranson would be a slight downgrade in physicality, a full downgrade in shutdown defense, and only an upgrade on offense with potential that isn't a sure thing. You'd also be losing a lot of the leadership and mentorship that Gudbranson provides. Due to Canuck needs, this trade just wouldn't make sense. 

As for using Hutton, it would be a lateral trade in youth. Canucks needs to get younger, which means you should use players that are older in a trade, not players in the same draft class. Hutton you get more offense and less physicality. Not to mention, you don't want to trade away a player that you can see possibly pairing up down the road with the player you're trying to acquire. Although the Canucks need what all three of these players being discussed needs, it only makes sense using another piece for this trade. 

5) Edler, Tanev

And finally... Edler and Tanev. Personally, I think trading one of these two players would fit the perfect description of a proven player who is perfectly in between Trouba's absolute ceiling and floor aka a non-optimistic but reasonable projection of what Trouba could become. With Trouba wanting to play on the right side, you might want to consider trading Tanev instead of Edler. Otherwise Trouba would be stuck on the third pairing assuming he's below Gudbranson in the depth chart. With Edler's NTC being taken into consideration might make things a little tricky. Of course, these are just the main pieces. Both sides would add or tinker around with the proposals until they match. 

Vancouver: Tanev + Grenier + Dorsett+ 4th

Winnipeg: Trouba+ Thorburn+ 6th

Is just what I'm guessing. 

Just to be clear, Trouba hasn't had very good offensive output since his rookie year, so you have to take that into account as well.

Thoughts? 

@Monty probably has an idea?

Yes, if the Jets didn't trade Kane here, then they won't trade Trouba here either.

Just now, Monty said:

Yes, if the Jets didn't trade Kane here, then they won't trade Trouba here either.

I'm wondering if trading Trouba is more difficult after the Kane fiasco in Buffalo?  Maybe the other GMs are thinking something might be up with some of the Jet's players?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm wondering if trading Trouba is more difficult after the Kane fiasco in Buffalo?  Maybe the other GMs are thinking something might be up with some of the Jet's players?

Like Vancouver with Hodgson, and Luongo, and Kesler, and, and, and.

Sometimes, players just want to get traded. Since the Jets acquired Myers, the talk was whether they would keep Trouba around. And honestly, it's in the Jets best interest to move him. They don't require 3 RHD that can play top 4 minutes. They are weaker on the left side, and trading Trouba helps that.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If I'm Cheveldae, I'm back on the phone with one of, if not the NHL's worst GM, targetting Sam Reinhart.

:lol: 

Can you imagine?

"Well Trouba, you wanted top 4 right side minutes? Well, have fun competing against Ristolainen and Bogosian."

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Like Vancouver with Hodgson, and Luongo, and Kesler, and, and, and.

Sometimes, players just want to get traded. Since the Jets acquired Myers, the talk was whether they would keep Trouba around. And honestly, it's in the Jets best interest to move him. They don't require 3 RHD that can play top 4 minutes. They are weaker on the left side, and trading Trouba helps that.

How about Edler then, for Trouba and a second?  You can't tell me Edler and Buff wouldn't be an amazing first pairing.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How about Edler then, for Trouba and a second?  You can't tell me Edler and Buff wouldn't be an amazing first pairing.  

NTC and puts them in a spot where they have to protect 4 defensemen, again. While I'm not Chevy (yes, shocker to you all), my bet is he's trying to acquire a young defenseman on the left side who he doesn't have to protect in expansion.

Just now, Monty said:

:lol: 

Can you imagine?

"Well Trouba, you wanted top 4 right side minutes? Well, have fun competing against Ristolainen and Bogosian."

Not Chevy's problem haha.

Chevy's problem would become:

Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler

Laine Little Reinhart

Connor Perreault Stafford

----------  Lowry ------------

Dayum.

I also think that despite his 'plateau' or whatever you want to call it, Morrisey is gonna be a hell of a player and whether or not Trouba returns a LHD, they'll be alright on the left down the road.  Still, probably makes more sense to target a LHD, but Reinhart would sure round out a sick young forward group.

NTC and puts them in a spot where they have to protect 4 defensemen, again. While I'm not Chevy (yes, shocker to you all), my bet is he's trying to acquire a young defenseman on the left side who he doesn't have to protect in expansion.

He should be talking to the Flyers then, maybe?  They have a couple good looking ones, and I think they are both lefties?  Provorov and Sanheim?

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He should be talking to the Flyers then, maybe?  They have a couple good looking ones, and I think they are both lefties?  Provorov and Sanheim?

Sanheim is the likelier of the two to occur. Local boy and not "as" hyped. However, with the emergence of Gostisbehere, that makes one of those two expendable.

Sanheim is the likelier of the two to occur. Local boy and not "as" hyped. However, with the emergence of Gostisbehere, that makes one of those two expendable.

That's it then.  Is a Sanheim for Trouba trade fair enough for both teams?  Trouba will need a big pay raise.  Would the Jets need to take back some salary, and maybe the Flyers add a third to compensate for that?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That's it then.  Is a Sanheim for Trouba trade fair enough for both teams?  Trouba will need a big pay raise.  Would the Jets need to take back some salary, and maybe the Flyers add a third to compensate for that?

That's where it gets tricky. Flyers are pushed to the ceiling. Not sure how it works at that point.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Maybe that's the stuff holding up a trade?

If Philly is interested, that would definitely be it.

Boston is likely inquiring as well. They have some attractive prospects and young pieces; although, definitely not as good a fit for the pieces that Philly has to give.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

To Anaheim:

Trouba

To Winnipeg

Lindholm

Ducks:

Fowler Vatanen

Despres Trouba

Stoner Bieksa

Jets

Lindholm Byfuglien

Enstrom Myers

Morrisey Chiarot

Denied by Anaheim. Doesn't solve anything for them at all, except now their top RFA has an a**hole of an agent.

Archived