The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jets D Jacob Trouba Has Requested Trade

JV77

Just now, Blue Jay 22 said:

Denied by Anaheim. Doesn't solve anything for them at all, except now their top RFA has an a**hole of an agent.

Incorrect.

Solves the same thing it does in Winnipeg.

Anaheim's left side is currently Lindholm, Fowler and Despres.   Add Shea Theodore to that mix in short order.

Winnipeg's right side is Byfuglien, Myers, Trouba.

To flush that out further:

Anaheim's right side is Vatanen, 35yr old Bieksa, and a LHD Stoner.  Add Trouba = makes perfect sense.

Winnipeg's left side is RHD Trouba, Enstrom, and Morrisey/Chiarot/Postma.   Add Lindholm, ditto.

So yes, this solves something for both teams.

Just now, oldnews said:

Incorrect.

Anaheim's left side is currently Lindholm, Fowler and Despres.   Add Shea Theodore to that mix in short order.

Anaheim's right side is Vatanen, 35yr old Bieksa, and a LHD Stoner.  Add Trouba = makes perfect sense.

Winnipeg's left side is RHD Trouba, Enstrom, and Morrisey/Chiarot/Postma.   Add Lindholm, ditto.

Actually, Fowler rotates on the right side for them sometimes, depending on who is scratched. At least when Theodore came up briefly in the regular season, albeit not in the playoffs, that was where Fowler was. Assuming Theodore makes the team for the full season, the LD vs. RD wouldn't be much of an issue. Besides, Anaheim wouldn't trade a defenseman for another defenseman, they would do it for a LW.

2 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Actually, Fowler rotates on the right side for them sometimes,

You're simply illustrating my point.  

If you insist on belabouring it - Trouba does the same, "rotates" on the left side for Winnipeg.  Why is that?   That's pretty much the point. 

As is the fact that Lindholm, Fowler, Despres (as a 3LD is sick depth) - and Theodore, another LHD - makes solid sense from Anaheim's perspective.

That you feel they need a LW is another issue that doesn't change this point.  LW is the easiest position in hockey to fill - and they have the assets to acquire one whether or not they make this deal.

On September 24, 2016 at 6:48 PM, Monty said:

The Jets just don't need another RHD. That puts them exact same position as they are in now. RHD isn't the issue, it's the left side. Dangling Tanev just isn't enticing to them when they already have Buff and Myers.

As for Edmonton, they certainly have the attractive assets, specifically Draisaitl/Puljujarvi; however, there's no way Chevy hands the Oilers one of their last missing pieces to become a playoff team, essentially taking away a playoff position from them.

Draisatl of Pulilarvi for "I demand a trade, because I'm not getting enough ice time, Trouba!  :lol::lol:

Trouba is a fine young player, but the Oil would be (at best) giving up Yaks. 

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

Incorrect.

That doesn't make sense for the ducks with the expansion draft coming up.  If Ducks are to move a D, it's (one of their "needed" protection D) for a forward, or a player that wont need protection. 

Same thing with the jets.  Both Enstrom and Byfuglien have NMC clauses that leaves only 1 D left to be protected,  right now I assume it's Myers.  If Jets are smart the player they want in return (especially if it's a d) is a player that doesn't need protection in the upcoming expansion draft. 

Trouba to the Flyers makes the most sense

And Lindholm for Landeskog makes more sense for the ducks. 

On 9/24/2016 at 4:47 PM, DeNiro said:

This is one of those rare opportunities where a top young defenseman is available before he reaches his prime.

Benning needs to get in on this. A future top 4 of Trouba, Juolevi, Hutton, and Gudbranson would be awesome. (Assuming Tanev would have to be involved)

I'd certainly consider a Tanev/Trouba swap...

20 hours ago, coryberg said:

-Traded a second round pick (#39 overall)for devin setoguchi (11 goals , 27 points and gone)

-Traded a third round pick and 5th round pick for jiri tlusty (1 goals, 8 points and gone)

You can't really call those losses though can you?  They came they played they weren't offered contracts after.  We've literally done the same thing repeatedly over the years as has every other team in the league.  Trading mid to late picks for guys who come, produce then leave because management doesn't see more from them is natural attrition.

16 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

I AGREE. 

Hansen + 2nd + Subban. WTF is that. That guy is delusional for offering so little. 

People OVERVALUE Hansen on this CDC sighh 

I'd argue people undervalue Hansen on this board.  Possibly the most elite bottom 6 player in the league capable of seamlessly slotting in from the 1st to the 4th line, PP and PK runner on the ice in a 1 goal game to hold the win and on the ice in a 1 goal game to try to tie it up.

Kaleta got a high pick, Ott got a high pick and on and on and on.  Hansen has significant value in a package deal especially under that contract

14 hours ago, oldnews said:

I like Trouba, but "I want to play on the right side" is some pretty weak shiz to be hinging a trade request on.

I'm not buying it. 

Regardless - a meno that has circled the league, worth remembering - don't draft kids with this guy representing them

Image result for kurt overhardt

No frigging doubt.  We rip on these kids, but look at that D bag in that photo.

How many times have we seen kids given just terrible advice from agents seeking a higher commission?  We never hear about the agent just the player yet it seems that a few agents are the cause for a lot of the reported gripes players have with teams involving money issues or "playing time"

34 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That doesn't make sense for the ducks with the expansion draft coming up.  If Ducks are to move a D, it's (one of their "needed" protection D) for a forward, or a player that wont need protection. 

Same thing with the jets.  Both Enstrom and Byfuglien have NMC clauses that leaves only 1 D left to be protected,  right now I assume it's Myers.  If Jets are smart the player they want in return (especially if it's a d) is a player that doesn't need protection in the upcoming expansion draft. 

Trouba to the Flyers makes the most sense

And Lindholm for Landeskog makes more sense for the ducks. 

That makes sense.  I hate what the expansion draft is doing to the season with everyone jockeying assets to avoid a loss as opposed to building the best team they can for this season - wasn't factoring it in.

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You can't really call those losses though can you?  They came they played they weren't offered contracts after.  We've literally done the same thing repeatedly over the years as has every other team in the league.  Trading mid to late picks for guys who come, produce then leave because management doesn't see more from them is natural attrition.

Just because every team makes a few bad deals doesn't mean they aren't bad deals. I was simply showing a few instances where winnipeg didn't fleece someone.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

How many times have we seen kids given just terrible advice from agents seeking a higher commission?  We never hear about the agent just the player yet it seems that a few agents are the cause for a lot of the reported gripes players have with teams involving money issues or "playing time"

Yes, and counseling Trouba to go on record that the reason he wants a trade is to 'play the right side / maximize my potential' is just horrible advice - or horrible lack of counsel if he didn't advise him not to give that rationale.

That in a nutshell is the polar opposite of "I'll do what it takes for my team to win", team-first mentality.  Uh, I want to be traded because the coach isn't playing me where I want to play.  

I actually have a very pro-player perspective - I'm squarely behind the players on issue like lockouts, player safety, etc - I realize the NHL has been and continues to be a harsh business where the reality is that players need to play hardball to protect their rights (and their health, etc).   

But I'm also very tired of this exact dynamic - of players that haven't earned it - making demands to play where they want, get more ice time than they've earned, sign huge contracts they haven't really earned, etc.  It's the opposite end of the spectrum and I'm getting tired of the Drouin, Hodgson types. 

This particular agent has counselled Turris, Dubinsky, Johansen, Trouba - to hold out - all of them coming off entry-level contracts.

I'd almost favour a "bridge" clause in the CBA - the expectation that some of these young players who have had one or two decent NHL seasons command 6+ year terms at huge cap hits is ridiculous and has gotten out of hand.

I don't know what is worse - the reality - that Trouba likely wants what was reported before - a huge contract - or this lame window-dressing game about wanting a trade in order to play on the right side.  It's obviously more complicated than that, but the bottom line imo is that Trouba is a 22yr old RFA that hasn't reached his potential yet.  At the same time, he's been getting 22 minutes a game all three of his young NHL seasons, so what's his beef really about how he's utilized?   He deserves a strong bridge contract, and when he approaches UFA status, perhaps he can leverage where he wants to play, but  I wish these guys would just buck up and become men before they expect to play where they want or command contracts in line with the NHL's premier veterans.

6 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Just because every team makes a few bad deals doesn't mean they aren't bad deals. I was simply showing a few instances where winnipeg didn't fleece someone.

Fair enough, but those are more mean nothing deals.

When Chevy has made a trade he's absolutely crushed it.  Almost without question, addressing needs and gaining solid futures

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

When Chevy has made a trade he's absolutely crushed it.  Almost without question, addressing needs and gaining solid futures

Yeah, and it wasn't long ago that he was getting ripped for not being active enough, not pulling the trigger, etc.   Gillis had the same rep - unless a deal really made sense, he was very 'conservative.'

I think Winnipeg can afford to be - they're on the right side of a 'rebuild.'

On the counterpoint, I love Benning's decisiveness and willingness to take a risk.  There comes a point where you need to roll the dice imo, and he correctly assessed that this team was there, so I like the transition to Benning's approach here.

But Chevy - must be licking his  chops.   What's more fun than having a player like Trouba to dangle.  He's probably overvalued/over-rated, simply because he's so widely projected as a future Norris candidate.   Trouba going public with a trade request may not help his value a great deal, but at the same time it will prompt teams to come inquiring, as opposed to putting Wpg in a position to go shopping him, selling tupperware.  I think the dynamic may actually work out better for them - and if fantasy hockey is any indication (I've had Trouba in a number of leagues), there is scarcely a player that invites more inquiries.

My only concern would be that it's not the best time to be a seller imo - so many complications with the expansion draft - I almost wish they'd have simply done it incognito already - with teams submitting lists - the draft done - teams informed of who was in que to go.  One player one each team would play the season knowing they're headed  to LV, but would that be worse than the entire league wondering for a year what's going to happen and jockeying assets with that draft in mind, dividing their interests when they should be squarely looking to improve their teams?

29 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yes, and counseling Trouba to go on record that the reason he wants a trade is to 'play the right side / maximize my potential' is just horrible advice - or horrible lack of counsel if he didn't advise him not to give that rationale.

That in a nutshell is the polar opposite of "I'll do what it takes for my team to win", team-first mentality.  Uh, I want to be traded because the coach isn't playing me where I want to play.  

I actually a very pro-player perspective - I'm squarely behind the player on issue like lockouts, player safety, etc - I realize the NHL has been and continues to be a harsh business where the reality is that players need to play hardball to protect their rights (and their health, etc).   

But I'm also very tired of this exact dynamic - of players that haven't earned it - making demands to play where they want, get more ice time than they've earned, sign huge contracts they haven't really earned, etc.  It's the opposite end of the spectrum and I'm getting tired of the Drouin, Hodgson types. 

This particular agent has counselled Turris, Dubinsky, Johansen, Trouba - to hold out - all of them coming off entry-level contracts.

I'd almost favour a "bridge" clause in the CBA - the expectation that some of these young players who have had one or two decent NHL seasons command 6+ year terms at huge cap hits is ridiculous and has gotten out of hand.

I don't know what is worse - the reality - that Trouba likely wants what was reported before - a huge contract - or this lame window-dressing game about wanting a trade in order to play on the right side.  It's obviously more complicated than that, but the bottom line imo is that Trouba is a 22yr old RFA that hasn't reached his potential yet.  At the same time, he's been getting 22 minutes a game all three of his young NHL seasons, so what's his beef really about how he's utilized?   He deserves a strong bridge contract, and when he approaches UFA status, perhaps he can leverage where he wants to play, but  I wish these guys would just buck up and become men before they expect to play where they want or command contracts in line with the NHL's premier veterans.

Overhardt is Kesler's agent too.

35 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I think that one can still accuse him of sitting on his hands far too often.  I would consider their level of success since re-location to be pretty much pathetic.  They are starting to look good on paper, but in general, they should be ashamed of their lame-duckness.

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yeah, and it wasn't long ago that he was getting ripped for not being active enough, not pulling the trigger, etc.   Gillis had the same rep - unless a deal really made sense, he was very 'conservative.'

I think Winnipeg can afford to be - they're on the right side of a 'rebuild.'

On the counterpoint, I love Benning's decisiveness and willingness to take a risk.  There comes a point where you need to roll the dice imo, and he correctly assessed that this team was there, so I like the transition to Benning's approach here.

But Chevy - must be licking his  chops.   What's more fun than having a player like Trouba to dangle.  He's probably overvalued/over-rated, simply because he's so widely projected as a future Norris candidate.   Trouba going public with a trade request may not help his value a great deal, but at the same time it will prompt teams to come inquiring, as opposed to putting Wpg in a position to go shopping him, selling tupperware.  I think the dynamic may actually work out better for them - and if fantasy hockey is any indication (I've had Trouba in a number of leagues), there is scarcely a player that invites more inquiries.

My only concern would be that it's not the best time to be a seller imo - so many complications with the expansion draft - I almost wish they'd have simply done it incognito already - with teams submitting lists - the draft done - teams informed of who was in que to go.  One player one each team would play the season knowing they're headed  to LV, but would that be worse than the entire league wondering for a year what's going to happen and jockeying assets with that draft in mind, dividing their interests when they should be squarely looking to improve their teams?

2 weeks before the TDL Trouba will go east for a monster package if he isn't gone by the end of pre season.

Regardless of what people keep saying Philli and Sanheim + make the most sense without question.

1 hour ago, mll said:

As already mentioned by several - the Jets are looking for the Trouba equivalent but on the left-side.

As for Trouba-Lindholm:

Smart by Anaheim, as Lindholm is terrific and I already see him as better than Trouba anyway.

Archived