The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo horvat to centre the 4th line.

cuporbust

5 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I'd say that after last night its "critics" 1, apologists 0.  With the right line combinations, this team can score.  Whose goal started the come back?  You're welcome.

It was a powerplay goal though, ironically. ;)  Nothing to do with 5 on 5 lines - and again, ironically, Bo will be getting special teams minutes on both sides of the puck regardless.

Context matters.

WD 2, critics 0.

Canucks 2-0.

WD's lines worked both times.

There is more to setting lines than the internal logic of a team.

There is the opponent - gameplanning - dealing with matchups - and it's going to result in changes and differences from game to game.

Even the best of teams can't remain static and predictable - and need to enhance their strengths and defend their weaknesses depending on how they line up against a particular opponent.  And in addition, there are lots of other factors that come into play.

There was nothing wrong with either of the setups WD went to in the first two games - they make sense in different ways.

On 15/10/2016 at 9:32 AM, LaBamba said:

WARNING

As stupid as this sounds it's still not as stupid as the act of playing Horvat with Burrows and Dorsett 

The only logical explanation for Horvat's situation is to devalue him in a contract year. It's literally the only thing I can think of. 

:picard: again...

On 10/17/2016 at 0:31 PM, oldnews said:

It was a powerplay goal though, ironically.   Nothing to do with 5 on 5 lines - and again, ironically, Bo will be getting special teams minutes on both sides of the puck regardless.

Context matters.

It wasn't a PP goal actually... PP ended and it was a 5on5 goal. 

WD 2, critics 0.

Canucks 2-0.

WD's lines worked both times.

Can you really say WD gets anything.  After one game he quickly went back to the lines that everyone was calling for from the start.  

There is more to setting lines than the internal logic of a team.

There is the opponent - gameplanning - dealing with matchups - and it's going to result in changes and differences from game to game.

Even the best of teams can't remain static and predictable - and need to enhance their strengths and defend their weaknesses depending on how they line up against a particular opponent.  And in addition, there are lots of other factors that come into play.

There was nothing wrong with either of the setups WD went to in the first two games - they make sense in different ways.

It really didn't make sense to have him on the 4th, if it did why didn't he continues to stick him there?  Seems like as soon as Bo was put into play with offensive players he's started to find his offensive game.  It also doesn't really work to rotate players so much throughout the game,  They build chemistry with players and build momentum from each other.  He could got on a strong PP with a ton of chances to back with the plumbling line and the momentum is gone.  Just because canucks won doesn't mean WD gets credit for it.  Just like when the canucks lose it's not always his fault either.

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It wasn't a PP goal actually... PP ended and it was a 5on5 goal.

So in other words he was playing with a powerplay unit at the time - not his 5on5, "4th line mates" - and this is an irrelevent technicality.

The rest I'm not going to go in circles on.

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

So in other words he was playing with a powerplay unit at the time - not his 5on5, "4th line mates" - and this is an irrelevent technicality.

The rest I'm not going to go in circles on.

That game his 5on5 line mates we're Jake and Baertschi.  So yes he was still playing with his "5on5" line mates. Baertschi and him were building momentum together that entire game up until that goal. 

On 17/10/2016 at 6:51 AM, alfstonker said:

Willie always said he would alter lines to suit opponents. That is probably too deep for some on here though.:P

See my post on the PGT for how accurate the "critics" are. 

And it only took him 3 years to figure that out.

29 minutes ago, mrreindeer said:

And it only took him 3 years to figure that out.

The sad thing is he hasn't yet, I hope he does soon. Ok. So not one sports analyst could figure out why WD made this decision and some Geniuses on here come up with the reasoning (Willies own admission)  for a defensive shut down line and to roll 4 lines?? What really bothers me is his stubbornness to do the same thing as he told the press the next morning, lines would remain the same for the Carolina game.and mysteriously some how they didn't. Read into that what you want, I think he is on a short short leash. These 3 wins will buy him some time.

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  I was wondering if it was .WD's choice to put Bo back with Baer, or JB's?

I think, as with all coaches in the NHL, WD was experimenting with balancing the lineup and offense. 

So far, I think things have worked pretty well. We are controlling the puck more than the other teams.

Everyone gets bent out of shape when people get moved around. I remember a few years ago, everyone thought AV was completely nuts for trying a really weird and wacky experiment and everyone called for his head. He had the audacity to try Burrows on the first line with the Sedins!

You never know what will work unless you try it!

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think, as with all coaches in the NHL, WD was experimenting with balancing the lineup and offense. 

So far, I think things have worked pretty well. We are controlling the puck more than the other teams.

Everyone gets bent out of shape when people get moved around. I remember a few years ago, everyone thought AV was completely nuts for trying a really weird and wacky experiment and everyone called for his head. He had the audacity to try Burrows on the first line with the Sedins!

You never know what will work unless you try it!

Ya heaven forbid JV plays with the Twins.  B)

Just now, Alflives said:

Ya heaven forbid JV plays with the Twins.  B)

Was tried, didn't work that well.

Personally, I think they need a player who is more like Burrows to really be successful. Someone who will do more of the dirty work around the net. I think Virtanen needs a player more like McCann was as his center (not saying I'm unhappy with the trade). Someone who's really not afraid to mix it up as well. Now, we just need to find another one of those! :)

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Personally, I think they need a player who is more like Burrows to really be successful. Someone who will do more of the dirty work around the net. I think Virtanen needs a player more like McCann was as his center (not saying I'm unhappy with the trade). Someone who's really not afraid to mix it up as well. Now, we just need to find another one of those! :)

Hansen was working well with them last year. I am not saying Eriksson won't but he just seems to get man handled in front of the net to easily.

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I really want to see JV with the Twins, and moving Errikson to the Horvat line, with Baer.  I think this would be our most balanced line-up.  I get the impression the Twins have too much say in whom their line-mate will be.  Their line is WAY to easy to play against right now.

Twins, JV

Bo, Baer, Eriksson

Granlund, Sutter, Hsnsen

Gaunce, Burr, Dorsett.

Archived