The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Same Problem for 5 years and Counting...

Jiggs50

Agree with OP, except I feel like in the last 3 years we've gotten progressively better prospects in all positions. There are signs of hope. There arequality prospects on this team already. The answer to the question "what the will the Canucks look like without the Sedins?" is getting clearer, and those good young players will be entering their prime in a couple years.

We're terrible right now because there's too big of a gap between the number of quality NHLers in their prime and young guys. We knew this was an issue and this is just how long it takes to low key rebuild. Even Gillis started to refill the pool. 

In 2 more seasons we should have several quality guys entering their best years, with more good young players coming up. I like the complete team Benning is trying to build. 

I think we'll continue to get quicker and more skilled prospects, and depth players. We can build around having a Canadiens or Rangers style team where you have 3 lines that can have 40 - 60 point guys on them, lots of players in the high teens in goals, get excellent goaltending and hopefully get a an elite PP defenseman. We're probably going to end up with two more top picks and we'll have a good team again in two seasons. Even if none of those picks are McDavids or Laines. 

20 hours ago, riffraff said:

Imo based on the void that is our defensive prospects and potential of the above mentioned draftees, that picking Juolevi was the right call as dman of his caliber are coveted greatly because they are so hard to find.

we do have Bo, and Brock in the pipe so it's not all gloom when talking young centres.

as well I believe it is possible to exchange some of our expiring contracts for other high end top six forwards with the cap space, possible fa signings and/or trade.

i have a feeling, not that it

means much, that this trade deadline could be a lot different than prior years.

I hope so. We need a boost. 

I watched the Leafs at Montreal the other night (a great game from start to finish) and apart from Matthews (who wasn't that much of a factor) and Webber (who was) there was not that much of a gulf apart from physicality that I could see between them and us.

I am still of the opinion that much as I have loved the fact we have had the Sedins, they will now dictate our style and indeed our "shortcomings" until they retire. They are still on their day difficult to counter but with these back to back and 6 in 9 type schedules these days are harder to come by. 

I would love to see a fast, physical, all action type of first line, a line that would harass the opposition into mistakes while having the ruthlessness to take their chances.

To that end my thinking often returns to splitting the Sedins up in order to change the way we play.

Danny - Bo - Hansen

Baertschi - Sutter - Ericsson

Gaunce - Hank - Rodin

Dorsett - Granlund - Grenier/Skille

We simply don't have a top-end elite offensive talent in our system apart from maybe Boeser, and even he's just a north-south type scorer, very similar to Horvat and Virtanen.

I'd say in terms of elite offensive talent, we have nothing. Boeser may be a B+ level offensive talent but is mainly a scorer. Horvat is really a 2nd tier offensive talent. The same can be said for Baertschi if not 3rd tier. Virtanen hasn't really done much yet and IMO is going to end up a 2nd or 3rd line 15 goal scorer who can hit. Fantastic. Another blown top-10 pick. 

The league is trending towards smaller, faster, skilled players. Look at the playoffs the last few years - you need skilled guys to score goals and break games open and big physical guys to hit. We have a lot of players in the middle who can do a bit of both but not enough of either. THAT'S our biggest problem.

Really should have picked Nylander. Juolevi will help this team a lot on the back end and finally our defence is shaping up nicely. They're not an elite defensive bunch but Hutton, Juolevi, Stecher, Gudbranson, Tryamkin and Subban are all at least above-average (top-15 teams) NHL defencemen.

On 10/29/2016 at 2:45 AM, Jiggs50 said:

WD won't give JV proper minutes cause he's actually some what talented. 

What a deep thought.  It's insightful, and not lazy.  It shows that you really have a fair perspective.  This really makes me curious about what other deep analysis you may have to offer.

On 10/29/2016 at 8:41 AM, Fanaholic said:

If only those three games in California last year were losses instead of wins.   If only.   I know this team won't tank but just too bad they didn't lose.   Draft coming up isn't half of what this one was.  Last nights game was AWESOME (both teams flying up and down the ice and I was so happy for Kassian) but the player I felt most sorry for was Ryan Miller.   He played his guts out and the TOPIC says it all.   SAME OLD SAME OLD and nothing has been done about it.   WE NEED GOAL SCORERS - this saga has been going on since end of 2011.

As a Season Ticket Holder last night was my second regular season game only.   When you pay big bucks and you don't even want to go it is scary.   If only we had another BURE (should have cloned that guy).   I like Bo Horvat but lots of times he just plays on a line on his own.   You have to use your line mates or it won't get any better.  I think Jake needs a new trainer for next year to get him fitness ready before the season starts.   You see how he is the first one off when he is on Bo's line.  He trained but maybe not the right way.  

I've GOT IT . . . .   When the SEDIN's RETIRE we can't let them go.   They can be our new TRAINERS and all players will do what they do.   

JUST VENTING.   Today I am another year older so could somebody ask this team to get a goal.    AND trust me I am so old that I may never see a CUP. . . .

You just don't get math, do you?

On 10/31/2016 at 0:18 AM, riffraff said:

we do have Bo, and Brock in the pipe so it's not all gloom when talking young centres.

From my understanding the projection of Brock Boesser is going to a Patrick Sharp type player. Of course Sharp is a very good player but not exactly an impact player by any means.

It's going to take more than Bo and Brock in the forward good to spark the team.

Problem is...

1) we aren't skilled enough

2)filled with two way fringe players

2) play too damn nice. No one drives the net, no emotion, no drive, no one that is willing to pay the price to go in the dirty areas.  When critics called the Canucks soft...it was because they wouldn't fight or push back.  My definition of soft is playing the perimeter which the Canucks do game after game after game. Where is the heart in the first 4?

On 10/31/2016 at 5:39 AM, alfstonker said:

To that end my thinking often returns to splitting the Sedins up in order to change the way we play.

Danny - Bo - Hansen

Baertschi - Sutter - Ericsson

Gaunce - Hank - Rodin

Dorsett - Granlund - Grenier/Skille

I think splitting up the Sedins would be a good idea. Force them to change their  game a bit. Everybody had figured out how they prefer to play a long time ago 

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Only problem I see is that the team is excessively good looking. 

You can't look better than everyone else and hope the refs give u a fair shake! 

Are you talking in terms of the players appearance or how they're actually playing?

31 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

Are you talking in terms of the players appearance or how they're actually playing?

Appearance lol 

Something subban said on Tim & Sid like a year or so ago about the Habs... when asked how do you think the team should improve, he said our only problem is we have too many good looking guys on the club lol, so maybe we should get some less good looking players... he was just making a joke, kinda stuck with me lol

we signed a mediocre old man for 6 years to help us score and he hasnt scored anything whatsoever except a random pass on penalty kill for a breakaway.. our management is so god dam clueless and awful it hurts my brain. We drafted a skinny Dman instead of ktuckd who is allready scoring in the nhl as a teenager.. trader jim actually sucks at drafting AND trading.. unbelievable

On 2016-10-31 at 6:57 AM, Baggins said:

Anybody thinking any GM would have turned this team around, starting with a virtually empty prospect pool, in two years is out of their tree.

difference between turning the team around and moving in the right direction. Management has done neither.. its pathetic.

7 minutes ago, TheNewGM said:

we signed a mediocre old man for 6 years to help us score and he hasnt scored anything whatsoever except a random pass on penalty kill for a breakaway.. our management is so god dam clueless and awful it hurts my brain. We drafted a skinny Dman instead of ktuckd who is allready scoring in the nhl as a teenager.. trader jim actually sucks at drafting AND trading.. unbelievable

Most 18 year old players tend to be on the skinny side and go back to Junior (even the not so skinny..like Sergachev)..The rest of your post is a blanket rant..Could you be more specific?

On 2016-10-30 at 9:17 AM, bobbyg43 said:

say there good post!

add Errickson 6 million to the 14 an you get 20 million an supporting cast other than Bo an hopeful player Jake

20 million for 3 washed up forward wannabe top liners.. AHHHHHHH Ive loved the Sedins like everyone, but I did rage rant on these forums when they signed Erickson. And no surprise he is slow and boring. And those 34 fluke golas from last year was probly his pinnacle. From his prime. which is yearly declining. And he is sucking up 6 mil cap for 6 more years. I wander how that makes our low paid young players feel when someone is making 6 mil and sucks worse then all of them ? I know if I was horvat Id be thinkg how the fuk does this guy make 6 mil? I guess I should make 7 ? .. lol this team is a disaster.

15 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

difference between turning the team around and moving in the right direction. Management has done neither.. its pathetic.

Sure, no positives at all. Demko, Boeser, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Stetcher, and trading for Sutter, Baertschi and Gudbranson. There's far more in the prospect pool than I've seen in decades. They've done more in two years than I expected. I'd say the direction is pretty good.

15 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

20 million for 3 washed up forward wannabe top liners.. AHHHHHHH Ive loved the Sedins like everyone, but I did rage rant on these forums when they signed Erickson. And no surprise he is slow and boring. And those 34 fluke golas from last year was probly his pinnacle. From his prime. which is yearly declining. And he is sucking up 6 mil cap for 6 more years. I wander how that makes our low paid young players feel when someone is making 6 mil and sucks worse then all of them ? I know if I was horvat Id be thinkg how the fuk does this guy make 6 mil? I guess I should make 7 ? .. lol this team is a disaster.

Eriksson and Bo have the same number of points. I'll bet Eriksson gets a goal before Bo gets an assist. :lol:

Archived