The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hey Willie- Time to do something different

captaincowbasher

13 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Call me crazy but why don't we try our best passers with our best scorer.

Sedin - Sedin - Horvat

Granlund - Sutter - Hansen

Baertschi - Gaunce - Eriksson

Dorsett - Skille - Burrows

Skille is not a C.  Gaunce is a poor fit with skilled guys like Baer and Eriksson - Benning says Baer needs to play with skilled guys.  They see Gaunce as an energy player.  

Horvat creates his own offence and doesn't need a playmaker - reason why WD thought he would do just fine with Burrows/Dorsett.  Tomlinson though it was a good idea too because he didn't have to worry about getting the puck to his wingers.  Baer needs the puck and that's why WD wanted him with Granlund who is considered a puck distributor.

Look... clearly we aren't scoring, but that is largely across all lines and not just the Sedin line. Shoe it up to try to find chemistry of course, but if our three best players don't find any sort of groove, it doesn't matter what line they are put on - we are pretty much screwed. 

Besides the abiguity of particular lines, typically speaking the lower lines play less and giving the Sedins less time is going to do nothing to help get them going. 

I truly believe our guys just need to gain confidence and chemistry. We might not be a scoring powerhouse, but given the talent I can't suggest the current rate scoring is acceptable. 

8 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

"That guy coaching in the NHL, he's not an NHL coach.  That guy that's never sniffed a big league bench - not only is he a bonafide NHL coach, he's also an infallible genius".

God help him if he loses a game though.

We did it with AV, who went on to coach the Rangers to a Stanley Cup Finals, and we'll do it with whoever's next in line. And by we, I mean all the people ranting without much thought rather than the rest of us stopping to think about what's actually going on.

7 hours ago, Baggins said:

Actually it would fix the problems if opposing coaches were actually stupid enough to play their top defenders against Bo's line and their bottom pair against the Sedins. Somehow I doubt there's a single coach in the league that stupid.

We can only hope - maybe next time we play AV since plenty of people thought he was stupid when he was here? Sadly I don't even think Torts is that dumb.

10 hours ago, shattenkirk8 said:

If only we found the right line combo, then we could win the cup

that's not what am i saying, but at least we'll get watch the kids moving up and the 20 million dollar line who are playing like pure crap play the minutes they deserve, WD will never do this because it would be coaching suicide but we would certainly admire his balls.

So the same things have reared their ugly heads again. The energy/jump has left the team again and the PP sucks. The energy generated during the first four games was great, what happened? Even the PP was generating good chances.

Changing the Coach does nothing, we already tried that. The Sedin's look more predictable and are way slower. They really need to be split up to remain effective. Their cycles are not even effective on the PP which used to be their bread and butter.

The D and goalies still seem to remain stable the trouble seems to lie with the forwards. I have said it before that the leaders have to lead and step up when the time comes. Baert ,Granlund and Gaunce are slowly becoming our Vrbata,Higgins type players. Seem to be falling in the groove as before. Guys like the Twins and Eriksson really need to step it up to lead this team.

9 hours ago, elvis15 said:

No kidding. If the Sedins were really as bad as to warrant 3rd line deployment, then the other teams would have recognized it and adjusted their defensive coverage accordingly. But sure, move them to the 3rd then split up the other two lines that are building chemistry to make this team worse...

Sedin Sedin Eriksson 13 points

Granlund Sutter Hansen 12 points

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen 7 points

But yeah, let's reverse that order essentially. I'm sure that'll fix it.

Man, this board after a loss just doesn't ever change. Everyone has an opinion on why we're bad, but no one has a good solution beyond what the team's already doing to fix it. Rant threads everywhere.

I have been giving solutions for years, and every time I get a person like you who post skewed stats like the ones you posted to rationalize your opinion. The Sedins points are higher then everyone because 1. they play more than everyone- even strength, and 2. they play the majority of the PP. they also get scored on most then any other line and it's not because they play the most, it's because 1. they are slow, 2. they don't back check or pick up their man, it's truly pathetic to watch.

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

So the same things have reared their ugly heads again. The energy/jump has left the team again and the PP sucks. The energy generated during the first four games was great, what happened? Even the PP was generating good chances.

Changing the Coach does nothing, we already tried that. The Sedin's look more predictable and are way slower. They really need to be split up to remain effective. Their cycles are not even effective on the PP which used to be their bread and butter.

The D and goalies still seem to remain stable the trouble seems to lie with the forwards. I have said it before that the leaders have to lead and step up when the time comes. Baert ,Granlund and Gaunce are slowly becoming our Vrbata,Higgins type players. Seem to be falling in the groove as before. Guys like the Twins and Eriksson really need to step it up to lead this team.

this scoring issue has been with us for 4 years now, and still the Sedins are the go to guys...they need to make big deals, move out older assets like the twins and Edler and complete the rebuild," why try and squeeze more out of something that has nothing more to give."(Witt M. 2016)

Just now, captaincowbasher said:

this scoring issue has been with us for 4 years now, and still the Sedins are the go to guys...they need to make big deals, move out older assets like the twins and Edler and complete the rebuild," why try and squeeze more out of something that has nothing more to give."(Witt M. 2016)

They are trying to sell seats the only way they know - telling their fans yjey are a playoff team.

Sorry if this is the wrong post to say this is but I thought the title would be relevant and didn't want to to start a new thread in fear of getting vilified. 

If if we all know that we're not contenders, would it not make sense to play the young guys more?  Instead of protecting these guys from failure, why not put them in a position to succeed more rapidly. We're supposed to have a good core leadership, wouldn't that be enough to show the kids how to play, behave, speak, act and grow as professional hockey players?  I'm sure our veteran players wouldn't grumble about reduced rows but understand that to help this team mature faster, they have to show true professionalism and be mentors to the kids. 

1 minute ago, Legendary10 said:

Sorry if this is the wrong post to say this is but I thought the title would be relevant and didn't want to to start a new thread in fear of getting vilified. 

If if we all know that we're not contenders, would it not make sense to play the young guys more?  Instead of protecting these guys from failure, why not put them in a position to succeed more rapidly. We're supposed to have a good core leadership, wouldn't that be enough to show the kids how to play, behave, speak, act and grow as professional hockey players?  I'm sure our veteran players wouldn't grumble about reduced rows but understand that to help this team mature faster, they have to show true professionalism and be mentors to the kids. 

I believe it was Ray Ferraro who said the vets don't care about the development stuff; they just want the best chance to win that season.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

They are trying to sell seats the only way they know - telling their fans yjey are a playoff team.

guess what, I've been to games this year and the seats are a plenty empty, so I guess some fans are a little more astute then owners think. I cannot rationalize spending anymore money on a team that i love, revel in slow, boring hockey. The place was loudest when Gudbranson drop the mitts with Kassian.

4 minutes ago, Legendary10 said:

agreed

Archived