The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Young Forwards to Target

Noble 6

The Canucks need scoring help now and in the future. Right now I see our young forward core looking something like this:

______ - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - _______ - Virtanen

Granlund - Gaunce - Lockwood

That leaves two holes in the top 6. Who are some young players we could target through trade to fill these holes? Some players we could reasonably acquire that come to my mind are:

Dal Colle - Islanders

Mantha - Red Wings

Barbashev - Blues

Vrana - Capitals

Fiala - Predators

There are probably other players who I've missed, but that seems like a solid list of young forwards. Some assets we could realistically give up are our 2017 1st, Miller, Sbisa, Hansen, or some of our excess young defensman. A package of some of those things could land is one of those players. 

Thoughts?

Fiala is not available.  Out of the top-5 he was their guy very early on.  They were willing to not trade for Neal if it meant giving up the pick.  

Laviolette calls him a game changer.  He has him mostly on the 1st line - limited minutes but quality ones.     
Also, the Predators are likely going to lose Smith or Wilson through expansion so they need him.

That leaves two holes in the top 6. Who are some young players we could target through trade to fill these holes? Some players we could reasonably acquire that come to my mind are:

Dal Colle - Islanders

Mantha - Red Wings

Barbashev - Blues

Vrana - Capitals

Fiala - Predators

There are probably other players who I've missed, but that seems like a solid list of young forwards. Some assets we could realistically give up are our 2017 1st, Miller, Sbisa, Hansen, or some of our excess young defensman. A package of some of those things could land is one of those players. 

Couple things:

1. Trading our 1st rounder would be a horrible idea and should be out of the question. Especially for an aging team like ours.

2. Miller and Sbisa MIGHT get 4th round picks if they pick up their play.

3. No team is trading their top prospects for Hansen.

4. Trading our young defensemen is the exact opposite of what we should do.

Those young forwards probably have a high asking price and all our assets are struggling but they will get it going. I would target a player like Jenner. Few people have mentioned it as well and I agree with this thought. He's off to a slow start in CBJ and a fresh start here in Vancouver would help him alot with a top 6 spot for the taking

1 minute ago, Beary Sweet said:

Those young forwards probably have a high asking price and all assets are struggling. I would target a player like Jenner. Few people have mentioned it as well and I agree with this thought. He's off to a slow start in CBJ and a fresh start here in Vancouver would help him alot with a top 6 spot for the taking

CBJ sends us Jenner instead of the 2nd they owe us?

The only name on that list that intrigue me is Mantha. I'm not sure how high his value is to Holland, but its sure as hell isn't as high as it was a few seasons ago. There is also a rumour out there that he and Blashill had some sort of fallout. Not to mention, he got called out twice, by Holland.

2 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Those young forwards probably have a high asking price and all our assets are struggling but they will get it going. I would target a player like Jenner. Few people have mentioned it as well and I agree with this thought. He's off to a slow start in CBJ and a fresh start here in Vancouver would help him alot with a top 6 spot for the taking

Jenner would still command quite a high price, wouldn't he?

I think a player like Vrana COULD be available if the Caps are looking for a piece to put them over the top. 

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Jenner would still command quite a high price, wouldn't he?

I think a player like Vrana COULD be available if the Caps are looking for a piece to put them over the top. 

I agree, Jakub Vrana would fit us like a glove. Tanev is going to have to go the other way and we will have to take on some cap but it's worth it IMO. Juolevi, Stecher, Hutton, and Gudbranson were 4 guys we did not expect to have the same time last year. This gives us options and an opportunity to be bold. 

13 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Dal Colle - Islanders

Mantha - Red Wings

Barbashev - Blues

Vrana - Capitals

Fiala - Predators

Couple things:

1. Trading our 1st rounder would be a horrible idea and should be out of the question. Especially for an aging team like ours.

Miller's SV% and GAA are off the charts this season, he's worth more than that if he keeps it up.

14 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Dal Colle - Islanders

Mantha - Red Wings

Barbashev - Blues

Vrana - Capitals

Fiala - Predators

Couple things:

OK, #1. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD WE BE TRADING OUR FIRST FOR ANYTHING , This team had a window of time when we could have gone in the right direction. But the last three years were squandered on a fools errand. Now those high picks are the only hope we have.

2. The trade pieces you mentioned will never land us anything like the caliber of player we need/ you listed. Here's how trade proposals work: IF IT DOESN'T HURT IT"S BS

Nobody it going to give us anything for Miller, Sbisa, Hansen or any of the "young D" Nothing we could use anyway. There are two ways we can improve 1. the draft 2. Look out for problem players who aren't seeing eye to eye with their current organization and overpay to get them. Trouba would be a prime candidate right now, but it would most likely mean Virtanen, Horvat or maybe Joulevi (If we're lucky) then you need o make the decision: Who gets us there faster? Horvat or Trouba?

A lot of fans will say "Forget it!" Horvat stays he's untouchable" That's fine, but then be ready for NO SIGNIFICANT PLAYER MOVES, and pray we can draft well enough to compete in 3-5 years.

Teams aren't going to hand us quality offense for scraps and YES those players you are about to defend THOSE ARE SCRAPS and nothing when measured against proven offensive players......SCRAPS, that's why our team can't score because they are SCRAPS, I hope you are starting to understand what some of us have been saying for a few years now, while the rest were harping on about how the Vrbata singing was such a great idea and wasting that pick on Joulevi was such a great idea, maybe you haven't gotten that one through your heads yet, JUOLEVI was a WASTED PICK, he won't be able to help this team for years and if he does it is doubtful that he will be a major contributor. You see, you don't squander high picks on guys that float through a couple of weeks of training camp then disappear like they had never been there, never having been considered for a job, a pick that high should have come into camp ready to kick ass and if he were cut , he should have been dragged away kicking and screaming.

A team in our position will live and die by those high first round picks, pissing it away on a guy like that is suicide, we can revisit this in 5 years when he is either a solid yet unimpressive NHL Dman or playing in Europe and you can tell me what you think of the pick then

The only way this team is going to improve is by making a HUGE RISKY DEAL, what does that look like?

Consider this: Horvat + Demko =????

Edler + Boeser = ???

Virtanen + Joulevi = ???

Sedins waive = ???

Gudbranson+ Hansen =???

Eriksonn + Tanev = ???

There are 5 game-changing deals, if these pieces aren't in play then don't even bother.

9 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I agree but the ironic thing is that our current lineup assures us lottery picks too.

Don't get me wrong Ron, I agree we should be playing our kids. I was more suggesting to the OP that if he thinks that lineup will improve our team next year, it won't happen.

3 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Don't get me wrong Ron, I agree we should be playing our kids. I was more suggesting to the OP that if he thinks that lineup will improve our team next year, it won't happen.

I am actually OK with not playing our young players. I want to see a gradual transition. Perhaps midway through the season when this team is truly out of the running, then give them a chance. I know it's the old way of doing it but to me it's much better to toss young players into the lineup once there is no pressure to make the playoffs.

2 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

OK, #1. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD WE BE TRADING OUR FIRST FOR ANYTHING , This team had a window of time when we could have gone in the right direction. But the last three years were squandered on a fools errand. Now those high picks are the only hope we have.

2. The trade pieces you mentioned will never land us anything like the caliber of player we need/ you listed. Here's how trade proposals work: IF IT DOESN'T HURT IT"S BS

Nobody it going to give us anything for Miller, Sbisa, Hansen or any of the "young D" Nothing we could use anyway. There are two ways we can improve 1. the draft 2. Look out for problem players who aren't seeing eye to eye with their current organization and overpay to get them. Trouba would be a prime candidate right now, but it would most likely mean Virtanen, Horvat or maybe Joulevi (If we're lucky) then you need o make the decision: Who gets us there faster? Horvat or Trouba?

A lot of fans will say "Forget it!" Horvat stays he's untouchable" That's fine, but then be ready for NO SIGNIFICANT PLAYER MOVES, and pray we can draft well enough to compete in 3-5 years.

Teams aren't going to hand us quality offense for scraps and YES those players you are about to defend THOSE ARE SCRAPS and nothing when measured against proven offensive players......SCRAPS, that's why our team can't score because they are SCRAPS, I hope you are starting to understand what some of us have been saying for a few years now, while the rest were harping on about how the Vrbata singing was such a great idea and wasting that pick on Joulevi was such a great idea, maybe you haven't gotten that one through your heads yet, JUOLEVI was a WASTED PICK, he won't be able to help this team for years and if he does it is doubtful that he will be a major contributor. You see, you don't squander high picks on guys that float through a couple of weeks of training camp then disappear like they had never been there, never having been considered for a job, a pick that high should have come into camp ready to kick ass and if he were cut , he should have been dragged away kicking and screaming.

A team in our position will live and die by those high first round picks, pissing it away on a guy like that is suicide, we can revisit this in 5 years when he is either a solid yet unimpressive NHL Dman or playing in Europe and you can tell me what you think of the pick then

The only way this team is going to improve is by making a HUGE RISKY DEAL, what does that look like?

Consider this: Horvat + Demko =????

Edler + Boeser = ???

Virtanen + Joulevi = ???

Sedins waive = ???

Gudbranson+ Hansen =???

Eriksonn + Tanev = ???

There are 5 game-changing deals, if these pieces aren't in play then don't even bother.

Well, if we traded our 1st this year for one of those players, it would be the same as drafting a forward in the 1st round. The only difference would be that the player we acquire has already had 1-3 years of development as opposed to someone who was just drafted. Unless we are picking top 5 or maybe top 10, trading our pick could be a possibility. 

Regarding Miller, Hansen, Sbisa and our defensman, I wasn't thinking of trading one of those individual assets for one of those young players. It was more a package of those assets and/or our 1st. If we catch a team desperate to make a Cup run this year like the Capitals, we could possibly pry away Vrana if we have what they are specifically looking for. For example, if Holtbt goes down with injury, Miller could be their #1 target, as they probably wouldn't want to trade with Eastern Conference powerhouses Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay. Or we could target Mantha, who has supposedly had a fallout with management, as someone posted above. Maybe a team just likes a player in this draft slightly more than who they have and are willing to swap assets. It all depends on the other teams situation. 

I guess we can agree to disagree on Juolevi. 

Unless we choke out a cap strapped team for an rfa then we aren't getting the guys we want for tanev or edler

i would much rather have a solid top 6 blue line for the future than rip out our most reliable dman

edler-tanev

hutton-gudbranson

juolevi/tryamkin-stetcher

pedan-biega

im assuming Sbisa will be taken by vegas for next year and Larsen will be gone long before then so that's our projected blue line and that's a pretty solid blue line for any team

the only realistic trade to make is if we flip one of our plethora of dman for a "project" type player who has lost his way on another team

Answer is, none....

All of those guys are prospects and have no guarantees of panning out. Much like our own prospects.

Unless we are out of a playoff deadline and are trading vets out for a full rebuild and those teams are buying high on our vets then the price of those players will be our own high-end prospects.

How about we just wait and see if these guys like Virtanen, Boeser, Baertschi, Horvat, Granlund, Zhukenov, Brett Mckenzie and others will kick it up a gear and provide us with some dynamic offence.

On 10/31/2016 at 7:08 PM, Alflives said:

RNH

OR

Sam Reinhart

Move Sutter to wing in place of Baer.  

TANEV is TRADE bait.

RNH I wouldn't say we go after we need a 1st line center and he would be one but one of the worst young ones as he has proved he can not play against better players very well!

Archived