The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Rangers @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I agree D was something to be excited about before the season.  But now we see what Gudbranson is and that Hutton isn't as good as his rookie season indicated he might be.  We have some ok defensive defensemen, we have some ok guys as far as physicality goes.  But our defense has scored 3 goals.  Which means there are 8 defensemen outscoring our entire group.  I wouldn't say that translates to a good mix of skills. 

Two places I would disagree. First, our defense, particularly our offensive defensemen, are still young and green. They have lots of room to grow offensively, plus we have a good one in the wings in Juolevi. Add the fact that our style of play does not really mesh well with that offensive style that typically creates goals from the blue line. Our lack of offensively gifted forwards also make it more difficult for our transition game. 

Gudbranson has not shown definitively what he is or will be. He is paired with a partner who is struggling and also is adjusting to a new team, coach, and environment. I think he deserves a bit more time.

I am more optimistic about our defense than our forwards or even goaltending. We have solid organizational depth including some good prospects at various stages in their NHL readiness. That bodes well for the future.

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Two places I would disagree. First, our defense, particularly our offensive defensemen, are still young and green. They have lots of room to grow offensively, plus we have a good one in the wings in Juolevi. Add the fact that our style of play does not really mesh well with that offensive style that typically creates goals from the blue line. Our lack of offensively gifted forwards also make it more difficult for our transition game. 

Gudbranson has not shown definitively what he is or will be. He is paired with a partner who is struggling and also is adjusting to a new team, coach, and environment. I think he deserves a bit more time.

I am more optimistic about our defense than our forwards or even goaltending. We have solid organizational depth including some good prospects at various stages in their NHL readiness. That bodes well for the future.

The defense, when it truly gels, will be a more than capable corps, that will boast a multi-faceted array of strengths. Compared to where it was two years ago, it's quite something.

I know Hank is a mover set up kinda guy and I have seen him shot occasionally - does anyone know why he is so reluctant to shot the puck instead of passing - pretty sure he is capable of hitting the hit.;

Hutton needs less minutes  and just maybe he and Guddy aren't a good fit

Burrows with Bo looks great - not so sure Sven is a fit for that line

And to be perfectly honest I don't know where Sven or Loui  are a good fit. 

!st period - great hockey

2nd  period - 50/50

3rd a total train wreck

I really like Edler with Stetcher

And that's it  - tomorrow is a new day

14 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The defense, when it truly gels, will be a more than capable corps, that will boast a multi-faceted array of strengths. Compared to where it was two years ago, it's quite something.

I agree. This d-core has the potential of a serious CUP contending group. I cannot say the same for the forward group. No guarantee but when you consider where they were even 2 years ago the progress has been significant.

Most of you would have seen the Horvat hit on Pirri, but seconds later Pirri retaliates with a high hit to his head.  Reading the recent Botchford article, Horvat commented that he asked the ref if he saw it and the ref said no yet there is a picture of the ref looking directly at them.

Is that yet another piece of evidence of biased ref?  Or yet just more signs of awful officiating like the NFL is suffering with?

horvat-hit-pirri.gif?w=1003&h=555

screen-shot-2016-11-15-at-8-08-05-pm.png

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I agree. This d-core has the potential of a serious CUP contending group. I cannot say the same for the forward group. No guarantee but when you consider where they were even 2 years ago the progress has been significant.

Yes indeed. The vast progress the defense has made is one of the main reasons I'm still watching every game.

One of the best improvements has to be how much larger the defense is with Gudbranson and Tryamkin. The team has always had offensively driven puck movers from the great in Salo and Erhoff to the crap in Weber and Bartkowski, but the size factor was always lacking. Alberts was never going to deter anyone from crease crashing, but Gudbranson and Tryamkin do just that.

Having them will allow for offensive dynamos like Stecher and Juolevi to get down to business without worrying too much.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yes indeed. The vast progress the defense has made is one of the main reasons I'm still watching every game.

One of the best improvements has to be how much larger the defense is with Gudbranson and Tryamkin. The team has always had offensively driven puck movers from the great in Salo and Erhoff to the crap in Weber and Bartkowski, but the size factor was always lacking. Alberts was never going to deter anyone from crease crashing, but Gudbranson and Tryamkin do just that.

Having them will allow for offensive dynamos like Stecher and Juolevi to get down to business without worrying too much.

I agree. We could use a true elite #1 dman and I am hoping that will be Juolevi. We could conceivably have a good offensive option on all three pairings with Stecher, Juolevi, and Hutton. Add in Gudbranson and Tryamkin and that frees up being able to trade Edler, Tanev, and/or Sbisa for significant forward help.

A defense with Tanev, Stecher, Juolevi, Hutton, Gudbranson, and Tryamkin looks pretty solid long term.

Give them some speedy offensively talented forwards to transition the puck to and I think we will see a much more deadly offense. Production from the blue line has been an Achilles heel for years now since Ehrhoff left.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I agree. We could use a true elite #1 dman and I am hoping that will be Juolevi. We could conceivably have a good offensive option on all three pairings with Stecher, Juolevi, and Hutton. Add in Gudbranson and Tryamkin and that frees up being able to trade Edler, Tanev, and/or Sbisa for significant forward help.

A defense with Tanev, Stecher, Juolevi, Hutton, Gudbranson, and Tryamkin looks pretty solid long term.

Possibly Liljegren. I hear nothing but fantastic things about him.

On 16/11/2016 at 0:56 PM, coastal1 said:

It is all about chances. Eventually, the shooting percentage evens out so you need chances. More chances equals more goals over a long period. That ia what hockey is about. Like babseball and the hitting average.

I know how it works; i was just frustrated 

Archived