The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Rangers @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

I turned off the game a couple of minutes into the 3rd.  But I will say that prior to the game getting away from us, even when we were down 3-0 I felt that we were putting in a good effort, with decent scoring chances. 

And yes, chances are just chances and don't win you games.  But without chances, you are absolutely not going to win games.  I feel that many of our losses in this early season came from not even getting the chances, due to perimeter play, low percentage plays, and lack of traffic in front of the net.  I feel that we are playing much better lately, with those things being addressed.  Clearly, not perfectly, but at least being addressed.

36 minutes ago, apollo said:

Rangers suck... We crushed them like the disgusting peasants they are. 

Outplayed them all game, refs stepped up and made sure we don't win. 

I just wish the Canadian dollar would go back up and they'd stop fixing games to make us lose. I think the old boys club has hundreds of millions or even billions bet against us to do poorly. 

Lol

Not surprised. I think the Canucks got a bit lucky winning in NY last week. Lucky that Lundqvist wasn't playing in that game anyway. They're just not a very good team right now, and led by a captain that refuses to shoot the puck. I find this very maddening. I respect what he's done for this team over the years, but I watch other teams' captains and most of them are goal scorers (Getzlaf, Landeskog, Benn, McDavid, Tavares, Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin, etc.) Is Henrik trying to break the all-time NHL assist record or something? Not sure if it's because I'm getting older or the Sedins are, but I'm finding myself getting annoyed at Henrik more often for not trying to win by scoring himself.

On a good note, Tryamkin is the real deal. I love that guy. He has a booming shot from the point, crushes players left and right and even makes good, smart decisions with the puck in his own end. Stecher is also a beauty. If only our captain would score more goals, or at least try to (shoot the damn puck). So sick of the 500 passes and 1 shot on the PP. No wonder they're PP is terrible. You can't score if you don't shoot.

Canucks played well in the first period then suddenly in second and third periods looked like the Canucks from the rest of this season.  Canucks needs to play 60 minutes of what they did in the first period and get more ice time for their younger players.

What frustrates me about Henrik is that he actually has a pretty good shot. He just does not have that killer instinct to use it even when it's an obvious opportunity. It's nothing new though. He has pretty much always been reluctant to shoot and it has cost the Canucks goals and games for years. As they get older the Sedins need to simplify and realize that the entire league knows Henrik will not shoot. They play him to pass 100% of the time which is why so many of his beautiful passes end up on the other teams stick now. When they work they are great. They just don't work as often anymore.

9 hours ago, Crimson-JH said:

Am I the only really wish we haven't let AV go...?  If we still have him, we would be in the playoffs for the past 3 seasons

I don't think AV could have saved the Canucks. He is one of the best coaches in the league. He should have won the Adams trophy 3 or 4 times in the past 7 years. However, experts do not attribute what AV does with the team success. They think the quality of player on the team is the reason for the success when actually it is the coach's responsibility to make the team play like a team, which AV is good at doing during the regular season.

AV's time with the Canucks was over because the Sedins started running the team and had tuned AV out. Look at how well the team was prepared going into the playoffs in the last few years of AV's tenure with the Canucks. The team was a mess because AV wasn't running the room, it was the players (Sedins) running the room.

The Sedins to this day are still running the room.

11 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

At lease WD sent sort-of a message late in the game by playing Skille, Chaput and Gaunce on the PP and at the end.  They worked hard and created some chances.  The #1 line :wacko: were embarrassing with their over-passing, give aways and blown coverage.

Tryamkin and Stecher are our two best D men with Edler actually a close third.

Bo once again showing that the C is very close.  He displays leadership by his attitude and effort not by fancy passes at the expense of goals.  THis game should not have gotten away but honestly, Hank's over-passing while passing up golden scoring opportunities was the turning point IMO.

I know I'll get hate for this, but I actually thought Sbisa and Tryamkin were our best pairing.  Defensively Edler and Stetcher were a mess last night.  The only redeeming factor for those two was that Hutton and Gudbranson were worse.

Totally agree with you on Henrik.  My god he had two golden chances to pop in a goal and he passed. Unfortunately we should be used to that by now.  So frustrating to watch.  I love the Sedin's, but come one Henrik.  Do something!

Just now, Pete M said:

I don't think AV could have saved the Canucks. He is one of the best coaches in the league. He should have won the Adams trophy 3 or 4 times in the past 7 years. However, experts do not attribute what AV does with the team success. They think the quality of player on the team is the reason for the success when actually it is the coach's responsibility to make the team play like a team, which AV is good at doing during the regular season.

AV's time with the Canucks was over because the Sedins started running the team and had tuned AV out. Look at how well the team was prepared going into the playoffs in the last few years of AV's tenure with the Canucks. The team was a mess because AV wasn't running the room, it was the players (Sedins) running the room.

The Sedins to this day are still running the room.

Its funny you say this. I was talking to a retired future hall of fame player this summer at a hockey camp for my son and asked him two questions. What he thought of the Sedins as players and leaders and did he ever seriously consider signing with the Canucks to play with them. His answers were startling to me. He said they are nice guys off the ice and great players but also they are the biggest problem on the team in terms of an entitled attitude and always have been and they were the main reason he did not consider signing there.

I am not saying it's for sure true as maybe he has a personal ax to grind or something but he was pretty matter of fact and open about it which kind of shocked me. 

If you think about it and look at some of the things they have said the last few years especially about young players needing to take the reigns, it actually kind of adds up. I remember when Torts said the core was stale the Sedins, Bieksa, etc. all immediately discounted the need for young players to take over. The vet wagons have been circled for years now and they are fast becoming coach killers. 3 coaches in 5 years. Same class warfare between vets and young players on this team minus a few of the old usual suspects.

19 minutes ago, stuman491 said:

One positive all game was the Horvat, Baertschi, Burrows line.  I thought they drove the play all night created lots of chances.  It was fun to watch them play. 

Burr has looked great with Bo every time they are put together. They seem to feed off each others energy a bit and push the limits. Drive to the net, control the play, and get the rebounds.

1 minute ago, gizmo2337 said:

Burr has looked great with Bo every time they are put together. They seem to feed off each others energy a bit and push the limits. Drive to the net, control the play, and get the rebounds.

Totally agree.  It's probably my imagination, but he seems to be a step quicker than he was earlier this year.  He is getting in on the forecheck like old Burrows used to.  Creating turnovers .  Its awesome to watch.

Fun fact... Sbisa is an even 0. Tied with Tanev for first on our D but he's got 10 more games played. 

Gudbranson is -9 

Sbisa has quietly been our best dman all year. The only reason people hate on him is because hes not a good canadian kid or a swedish elite... either that or because he's too good looking. TOO, TOOOOOOOO good looking.

Sbisa gets too much blame. He is far from the problem on this team. The problem is coaching and a system that does not fit the players on the team, a reliance on older players to carry the mail, and an unwillingness to build the team properly for the long term.

Our D is actually pretty good overall. They just don't get used to their strengths in our system and we don't have the forward group to take advantage of their strengths.

Horvat and Burrows have played well together. I wouldn't mind seeing Virtanen on their line. I mean, if being with those two guys doesn't light a fire under your ass nothing will. They have been the one good example of how the right mix of a young player and a vet on a line can play the right way and augment each other's strengths.

21 minutes ago, apollo said:

Fun fact... Sbisa is an even 0. Tied with Tanev for first on our D but he's got 10 more games played. 

Gudbranson is -9 

Sbisa has quietly been our best dman all year. The only reason people hate on him is because hes not a good canadian kid or a swedish elite... either that or because he's too good looking. TOO, TOOOOOOOO good looking.

Luca has been great for Nikita too. He is the right partner to help release the TRYAMKIN!

All the elements of a strong defense are there. Size, grit, defensive awareness, offensive creativity, and passing ability. Unfortunately it is not properly utilized yet. 

A top 7 of Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Sbisa, and Stecher is a great mix of players.

Too bad our forwards are a dumpster fire. Stick Eriksson with the Sedins and just leave him there both 5 on 5 and on the PP. Let him be the net presence because no matter what Willie thinks, he is much better than Daniel or Sutter in that spot.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Luca has been great for Nikita too. He is the right partner to help release the TRYAMKIN!

I was hoping Gudbranson and Sbisa would pair and and form the legion of boom during the off season... but Guddy's really struggled and that didn't pan out.

Tryamkin Sbisa has just as much legion of boom written over it than any duo could!

Just hope Tryamkin can stop taking as many minors. 

Archived