The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Rangers @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

It was great to see Stecher and Tryamkin take steps in their development. That's all we ask for from them. That's what we should be all doing with all our prospects like Virt. I can't wait till Rodin gets a chance to be in the lineup. He could easily be a top 6 player and can make an immediate impact. Just look at his preseason this year and it spoke for itself. Regarding Virt, if he's not going to play, send him to Utica so he can take up some points here. Once he gets on a roll, call him up and give him 10-15 minutes. 7-8 minutes won't do anything to his development 

5 minutes ago, apollo said:

I was hoping Gudbranson and Sbisa would pair and and form the legion of boom during the off season... but Guddy's really struggled and that didn't pan out.

Tryamkin Sbisa has just as much legion of boom written over it than any duo could!

Just hope Tryamkin can stop taking as many minors. 

Gudbranson is being dragged down by Hutton's poor lackluster play. Hopefully whomever is coaching (please let WD go soon) sees that Hutton and Gudbranson aren't a good pairing, and splits them up.

Hutton should sit for a few games when Tanev gets back.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gudbranson is being dragged down by Hutton's poor lackluster play. Hopefully whomever is coaching (please let WD go soon) sees that Hutton and Gudbranson aren't a good pairing, and splits them up.

Hutton should sit for a few games when Tanev gets back.

I'm not sure what it's gonna take to get Willie fired... Seriously... What's taking so long? 

At this point u really have to shake up Hutt and Guddy. 

Ben's coming close to scoring some goals but I feel like he's been pretty snake bitten.  Even last night he had a good chance or two.  

Hoping they can both turn it around 

Just now, apollo said:

I'm not sure what it's gonna take to get Willie fired... Seriously... What's taking so long? 

At this point u really have to shake up Hutt and Guddy. 

Ben's coming close to scoring some goals but I feel like he's been pretty snake bitten.  Even last night he had a good chance or two.  

Hoping they can both turn it around 

Not sure either. A loss against the woeful Yotes, maybe?

A couple more games of Henrik Sedin passing to Daniel when he has a wide open net?

50 minutes ago, apollo said:

Fun fact... Sbisa is an even 0. Tied with Tanev for first on our D but he's got 10 more games played. 

Gudbranson is -9 

Sbisa has quietly been our best dman all year. The only reason people hate on him is because hes not a good canadian kid or a swedish elite... either that or because he's too good looking. TOO, TOOOOOOOO good looking.

That ignores the fact Gubranson faces FAR TOUGHER opponents than Sbisa  (I'm obviously not referring to fighting - heck, Sbisa defers even to Hamhuis in such a situation...).

Sbisa is a 3rd pairing D getting paid FAR MORE than what he should get.  3rd pairing guys DO NOT face the opposition best forwards (unlike Guds).

I think the defence has all the necessary parts, they haven't come together yet—give them time. At the moment the main problem is up front, Last night Hank had several opportunities to shoot but insisted on making high-risk passes across the front of the net. Had he put one of these in earlier in the game it could have made a difference to the outcome. Having said that, look who our top two scorers are. They've carried this team for long enough, it can't go on forever, father time will see to that. There is some promise as you go down the lines, but I think not enough at this stage. Let's be realistic, the Sedins won't be around the next time the Canucks mount a serious challenge for the Cup, so we're going to have to hope that over the next two or three seasons the team can be rebuilt through the draft and perhaps some "cunning" trades.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

A top 7 of Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Sbisa, and Stecher is a great mix of players.

No #1 D.  No PP QB.  Hutton not good enough for 2nd pairing.  Gudbranson not playing much better (-9).  I wouldn't say that's a great mix of players.

36 minutes ago, ynwa said:

Let's be realistic, the Sedins won't be around the next time the Canucks mount a serious challenge for the Cup, so we're going to have to hope that over the next two or three seasons the team can be rebuilt through the draft and perhaps some "cunning" trades.

Cunning + Trade, aren't words I would put together for the Benning regime.  Maybe this year the Canucks will actually keep some of their draft picks to build through the draft.  Hopefully not trade them for offensive powerhouses like in the past (Vey, Baertschi, Dorsett). 

6 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

Did you see the goals? what ones were markstroms fault exactly? 

The 2 man breakaway?

The man left alone in front?

The third straight shot from zuccarello because no one tied up his stick on the PP?

The man left alone for the back door tap in?

Or the tip from the man dorsett should have had that also hit off a skate?

I agree. The defensive coverage of the forwards and defensemen was atrocious! At best Markstrom stops 1 or 2 of them but we still get a licken not to mention he still made some grade A saves that could have ended up in the net as well.

The Canucks made quite a few huge defensive coverage errors and the Rangers are better than most at making you pay. In that regard they're basically opposite of the Canucks. Seems our team needs a dozen grade A chances and 40 shots just to get a couple goals.

JB needs to get this team a scorer it can be done.

9 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Wouldn't that make this team from a terrible one, into a slightly less terrible one?  Like the Leafs when they traded for Kessel.

no you trade them for younger players with more upside  toronto traded kessel for a ton of top picks  so they got old real quick we are already old 

at this point we have two teams.  The veterans who are predominantly slow and two way players who would prefer to play a trap game.  We also have younger players who need to play an uptempo style to fully develop.

its not surprise that Baertschi, Hutton, Virtanen, Larsen have failed to preform with this style of play.  It's too positional.  It places to large of an emphasis on size, strength and experience.  Stecher and Granlund are the only two that seem to be doing well despite the hindering system.

that all being said, we played an open game against the Rangers and the Stars; and we let up 11 goals.  Breakaway and odd man rushes galore.  I don't know if we have enough personnel with speed to make this work.  None of our defense is fast.  From what I can see Tryamkin and Larsen are the two fastest followed by Sbisa and Stecher.  None of them are actually fast except for Larsen, so you can play with that big of a gaps to your goaltender.  We are also not big enough upfront to retrieve the pucks if we are going to dump and the forecheck with 2 or 3.  

willie seems to understand that the sedins are better with Sutter/Hansen because then the Sedins don't have to forecheck or backcheck as much and it gives them stretch pass options with Hansen.  But the Bo and Baer thing is completely a lost cause every night.  Burrows has worked his way up the lineup and its deserved.  He looks great with Bo.  

Willie doesn't seem to want to OVER coach ever.  He looks like a coach more comfortable with a really good team.  Just let the boys play.  We need a tactician that pairs players based off their strengths and weaknesses and changes systems mid game to adjust to situations.  He never does any of that.  We either play gung ho start to finish or turtle for 50 minutes and then go for it for the last 10 or even 5.

this team is better than what it is in the standings.  We should be a 7-9 team in the West.  Rodin will help a lot, but it is time to let Willie go.

oh and the goaltending is now a major problem both are under 90% save percentage that is awful.  Like Calgary awful...

14 hours ago, cuporbust said:

The word "chances" makes me wana punch a puppy.  U can put dog crap in a gift bag , but it still stinks. Im so sick of hearing about chances. Im not kidding. That word _ me off to no end. My son had me in check while we played chess three times the other night; and not once did he really have "chances" to win. 

Chances .....chances ......ah shut up. 

It is all about chances. Eventually, the shooting percentage evens out so you need chances. More chances equals more goals over a long period. That ia what hockey is about. Like babseball and the hitting average.

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

No #1 D.  No PP QB.  Hutton not good enough for 2nd pairing.  Gudbranson not playing much better (-9).  I wouldn't say that's a great mix of players.

Cunning + Trade, aren't words I would put together for the Benning regime.  Maybe this year the Canucks will actually keep some of their draft picks to build through the draft.  Hopefully not trade them for offensive powerhouses like in the past (Vey, Baertschi, Dorsett). 

Hopefully we have a future #1 and PP quarterback in Juolevi. 

Stecher could also develop into a PP quarterback in time. 

Our defense is is not utilized to their strengths in our current system. Hutton has definitely taken a step back this year which hasn't helped. Overall our defense is the only thing besides maybe goaltending that there is any reason to be mildly excited about. They are relatively young, have a good mix of skills, and look like the right makeup of a quality level NHL defense corps. 

45 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

It is all about chances. Eventually, the shooting percentage evens out so you need chances. More chances equals more goals over a long period. That ia what hockey is about. Like babseball and the hitting average.

You still need to be a technically sound hitter to hit for average in baseball. Unskilled or untalented players could get 500 at bats and hit .220 if they don't have the skill. Hitting is about converting on chances not just getting more chances. The same as scoring goals in hockey is.

Jack Skille and Connor McDavid aren't going to compare in converting chances even if they get the exact same amount. Skill still matters and we don't have a lot of high end finishing ability.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Our defense is is not utilized to their strengths in our current system. Hutton has definitely taken a step back this year which hasn't helped. Overall our defense is the only thing besides maybe goaltending that there is any reason to be mildly excited about. They are relatively young, have a good mix of skills, and look like the right makeup of a quality level NHL defense corps. 

It is laughable what fans on here react to wins and losses. I agree with you that fans should be excited about the Canuck d-core. Lots of potential. Fans reluctantly accept that this is not a playoff roster and with the next breath bemoan the ups and downs of a rebuilding process.

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I agree D was something to be excited about before the season.  But now we see what Gudbranson is and that Hutton isn't as good as his rookie season indicated he might be.  We have some ok defensive defensemen, we have some ok guys as far as physicality goes.  But our defense has scored 3 goals.  Which means there are 8 defensemen outscoring our entire group.  I wouldn't say that translates to a good mix of skills. 

Archived