The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) VAN-COL (Not a Landeskog/Tanev trade prosposal)

Odd.

To Colorado: Edler, 2017 2nd round pick, might need to add another B level prospect (Gaunce, Brisebois).

To Vancouver: Jost, Jarome Iginla (cap dump for them, also struggling and a UFA after this season). 

Why does Colorado do this? 

Colorado DO NOT need high draft picks. They're a team that's just struggling to win because of their bad defense. Although Edler hasn't been the greatest, his trade value and the fact that the league views him as a top 2 defenseman (techncially he is), they think he's going to come expensive. He'll bolster their team's defence and get them closer to winning. Colorado need good, experienced veterans. Besides, Jost would have to challenge Mackinnon, Duchence, Rantanen, Landeskog, Soderberg, etc. If Colorado adds a decent top 6 player there's absolutely going to be no room.

Why does Vancouver do this?

Easy, we're pretty much in a rebuild. Jost is Boeser's linemate in UND, and they're both ripping it up there. Jost has dominated everywhere he's been and where his value is at currently I'd imagine it'd be a bargain to get him now than to get him in 2 or 3 years. Would be an easy replacement for Henrik in the future. Now one player doesn't complete a "rebuild on the fly", but I'd imagine it boosts us maybe one full year and get us closer. 

Thoughts?

I don't know seems like a bit of an overpayment.  If you look at what cap dumps have cost teams this year to get rid of.

Bickell and Teravainen got moved for only a 2nd and a 3rd round pick

Bolland and Crouse  also got moved for a 2nd and a 3rd round pick.

So for us to take on iggy it seems like a bit much.  If Av's are looking for an improvement on the top 4 it's going to them to overpay.  Personally I think they will be looking to move Duchene in the near future.

I think if, management in Colorado, drafted Jost with the #10 pick, then they wanted him. If they felt they needed a defensemen they would have; 5 of the next 8 picks were defensemen. However, I have no idea why they didn't pick a defensemen. They need it. But I don't see them getting rid of Jost without great value.

The value of the trade is not enough IMO. Jost is worth more in the long run (if I was Colorado). Realistically, I would be asking for Juolevi, one for one deal. 

14 minutes ago, Odd. said:

To Colorado: Edler, 2017 2nd round pick, might need to add another B level prospect (Gaunce, Brisebois).

To Vancouver: Jost, Jarome Iginla (cap dump for them, also struggling and a UFA after this season). 

Why does Colorado do this? 

Colorado DO NOT need high draft picks. They're a team that's just struggling to win because of their bad defense. Although Edler hasn't been the greatest, his trade value and the fact that the league views him as a top 2 defenseman (techncially he is), they think he's going to come expensive. He'll bolster their team's defence and get them closer to winning. Colorado need good, experienced veterans. Besides, Jost would have to challenge Mackinnon, Duchence, Rantanen, Landeskog, Soderberg, etc. If Colorado adds a decent top 6 player there's absolutely going to be no room.

Why does Vancouver do this?

Easy, we're pretty much in a rebuild. Jost is Boeser's linemate in UND, and they're both ripping it up there. Jost has dominated everywhere he's been and where his value is at currently I'd imagine it'd be a bargain to get him now than to get him in 2 or 3 years. Would be an easy replacement for Henrik in the future. Now one player doesn't complete a "rebuild on the fly", but I'd imagine it boosts us maybe one full year and get us closer. 

Thoughts?

That's actually not the case at all. The Av's are middle of the pack defensively, its their offense that is atrocious this year with only 33 goals, 5 fewer than the inept Canucks. Alex Edler is not going to help them in any way, shape or form.

This idea might help solidify Boeser signing here, especially if two of his university line mates are already signed.

I think Colorado is/was holding out for Trouba or a deal for him but.

If Jost is that good then overpaying would be in the cards. IMO he is a 2nd line center and maybe a little small for this division at center.

At this point, with this team ......

I like all the Nuck dmen.

Maybe package something together with Sbisa? The cap thing is a good idea though.

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I think if, management in Colorado, drafted Jost with the #10 pick, then they wanted him. If they felt they needed a defensemen they would have; 5 of the next 8 picks were defensemen. However, I have no idea why they didn't pick a defensemen. They need it. But I don't see them getting rid of Jost without great value.

The value of the trade is not enough IMO. Jost is worth more in the long run (if I was Colorado). Realistically, I would be asking for Juolevi, one for one deal. 

That's also not realistic. Juolevi >> Jost.

38 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

That's also not realistic. Juolevi >> Jost.

Not realistic as in Colorado is not asking for that return? or as in that trade won't happen? Huge difference. That's the return I'd ask for, if Vancouver wanted Jost. I'd wager a lot of money, that is what Colorado is thinking as well. Otherwise any trade involving Jost would not happen.

Erat for Forsberg 2.0, if Edler got Jost. 

In general, if we're getting a vet player who may be trending toward the end of his career, I'm against trading a major asset in his prime and a pick just to get that declining asset and a 1st round prospect (that should be the asset given for us to take on that declining contract).  Sure Jost plays with Brock and Jarome's been good earlier on in his career, but Iggy's only got 3 points in 16 games!  You're mistaken if you think that you'll get major production from him, so why would we be the ones adding the pick and maybe prospect, along with Edler, when in essence the only value comes in a (albeit quality) prospect?  Steady Eddie's a 24 minute/ night kind of guy in his prime, and given his solid amount of minutes played as the top option on our D-core I think could get both alone, and maybe a high pick on top of that for him.  So why should we be the team to add?

Like the idea though of poaching for an older but serviceable vet to get a major future asset though, that's the direction I think the team should take.

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Not realistic as in Colorado is not asking for that return? or as in that trade won't happen? Huge difference. That's the return I'd ask for, if Vancouver wanted Jost. I'd wager a lot of money, that is what Colorado is thinking as well. Otherwise any trade involving Jost would not happen.

Jost hasn't really lit things up since draft to inflate his draft position and jump 5 spots, if canucks wanted jost we would have just taken him.   He's probably got as much value as Teravainen or Crouse had, maybe a bit more since the draft was only a few months ago.  There is a reason we drafted Juolevi over him.  Canucks are in the position of power. This move does nothing for vancouver this year, Colorado is the one that benefits this year.   Canucks have no rush in making a move like this, if Colorado is concerned about making the playoffs then the ask is on them. 

57 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Just an opinion, but I don't believe Colorado is giving up top ten pick Jost for Edler?

Cap dumps hold value too.  At this point Iggy's value is negative.  

Personally I wouldn't make this move simply because I don't think jost is the answer to vancouver problems,  I don't see him as a better #1 option than what we already have on our roster.  

18 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Jost hasn't really lit things up since draft to inflate his draft position and jump 5 spots, if canucks wanted jost we would have just taken him.   He's probably got as much value as Teravainen or Crouse had, maybe a bit more since the draft was only a few months ago.  There is a reason we drafted Juolevi over him.  Canucks are in the position of power. This move does nothing for vancouver this year, Colorado is the one that benefits this year.   Canucks have no rush in making a move like this, if Colorado is concerned about making the playoffs then the ask is on them. 

I wasn't suggesting the trade for Vancouver. I was coming from an Ave's POV. The OP trade suggestion was coming from a fantasy world were Colorado isn't asking for Juolevi. The reality is, they would be and I was pointing that out. Vancouver says no, obviously. And that's why this trade and so many others never happen.

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

That the trade won't happen.

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't know seems like a bit of an overpayment.  If you look at what cap dumps have cost teams this year to get rid of.

Bickell and Teravainen got moved for only a 2nd and a 3rd round pick

Bolland and Crouse  also got moved for a 2nd and a 3rd round pick.

So for us to take on iggy it seems like a bit much.  If Av's are looking for an improvement on the top 4 it's going to them to overpay.  Personally I think they will be looking to move Duchene in the near future.

Is Duchene a guy we should get?  Would Tanev or Edler be fair, or do we add something more: Torts second?

Archived