The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Leafs Goalie Garret Sparks Suspended Indefinitely after defending a kid with disabilities

Bur14Kes17

Just now, Toews said:

Who is crying in this thread? I actually don't think you are whining but I don't think @Bob.Loblaw is either.

Judging someone as a whiner is an entirely subjective assessment. You might say that teenage girls whine more but maybe this is only because as a man you identify more with teenage boys having shared many of their experiences. This might be why you find teenage girls are needlessly complaining because you cannot identify with them. Just something for you to think about.

Stereotyping of 13 year old girls as whiners though is sexist, regardless of whether you want to admit it or not. It may not be as bad as some other comments but its not something any professional sports team will tolerate. I also find that people see the word sexist and automatically jump to the conclusion that they are being attacked. I am not accusing anyone of believing that one gender is inferior but there are some stereotypes and use of language that can be judged as being sexist. I am not entirely innocent of it myself.

I guess our difference is I do believe there are harmless stereotypes that have no impact on people (or at least shouldn't). I acknowledge the comment itself may be sexist by the strict definition of the word - but its so mild that it shouldn't even be considered negative. There are so many worse things in the world that should be garnering attention (for example, the bullying of a disabled person) rather than someone making an off-handed comment about someone whining like a 13 year old girl. If that is honestly what our society has deemed inappropriate then I am completely boned. 

I tell my siblings they're acting like two year olds all the time - does that make me ageist? I say my wife hits like a girl in baseball - is that really worth calling sexist? 

My point is that everything comes down to the intention and heart of the person saying the words. I don't have a problem with children, teenage girls or women. I think everyone deserves respect and equality - but I do not believe people need protection from stereotypes. Whatever happened to sticks and stones.

Good for Sparks defending the kid and buying him gear.  That's just awesome.  Sadly today where everyone is ready to be offended from minor things his poor choice of words were overblown.  Complete over reaction. 

I hope the kid puts the pads to good use! 

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

OK wait

So...what he said was sexist?

WTF....why the hell aren't 99% of every single player in the league not on suspension by their teams for what they say on the bench or the ice?

Seriously THIS got him suspended?

Man...this world is doomed

This made the Leafs an even bigger disgrace than they already are. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/chris-chelios-made-in-america-book-steve-yzerman-brendan-shanahan-detroit-red-wings-toronto-maple-leafs/

"The one shot I'd take at Shanny is -- you be the judge -- if you like politicians, then Shanny's your guy. If you don't, well, then you don't like him. I'll leave it at that."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/chris-chelios-says-brendan-shanahan-was-always-concerned-about-his-image/

“He didn't think twice about chasing down members of the media if he thought they had treated him unfairly. He was always concerned about his image.

“After we won Game 3 against Carolina in the 2002 Stanley Cup Finals — a 3-2 triple-overtime thriller — I heard him whining about the game story that appeared in the next day's newspaper. I've never seen a guy just two victories away from a championship so depressed. I told him to shut up and worry about playing well.”

Any surprises that the Leafs have become so politically correct with Shanahan there? Not to mention the owners of the team are Bell and Rodgers who are also very PC.

13 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Yeah but he fell for the bait hard and started to threaten someone, AND used sexist language, on a semi-public forum.  This is the stuff you might say when you leave no paper trail.  In this instance he had to ease off.

What else could the Leafs have done?

I wonder how the crippled kid's mom feels?  Where is her opinion on Sparks' comments?

The other part is flat-out ridiculous. Sparks is suspended from a team that plays in a league that allows its opposing goaltenders to skate out to center ice and attempt to beat the **** out of each other, for telling another goalie that's what he'd like to do.

That's pretty much the epitome of hypocrisy. Until you ban an action on the ice, let alone semi-glorifying it as an act of a 'team-guy', how can you suspend a player for talking about it?

28 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The other part is flat-out ridiculous. Sparks is suspended from a team that plays in a league that allows its opposing goaltenders to skate out to center ice and attempt to beat the **** out of each other, for telling another goalie that's what he'd like to do.

That's pretty much the epitome of hypocrisy. Until you ban an action on the ice, let alone semi-glorifying it as an act of a 'team-guy', how can you suspend a player for talking about it?

Great point. 

I don't commend Sparks for that. Good on him for buying gear for that person, but that was the least he could've done after this whole situation. 

If he felt the need to defend someone online then there are different ways to go about it. He could donate his time & money to a charity that discourages online bullying, he could create an alt-account and leave the same comment anonymously, he could've pm'd the person and explained his ideas in a non-violent way, etc...

I just fundamentally disagree with the way he went about his actions. The Maple Leafs did the right thing and after he jumps through their hoops of how to conduct yourself as a professional athlete then he'll be back. 

Stuff like this happens when we keep giving into the social justice warriors, eventually you need to stand up to them. I had no respect for the maple leaf's ownership or management and somehow have even less for them now. I'll take old school character like Jim Benning and co any day, not like the weasels over there.

Archived