The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why we shouldnt tank...this year

orcasgonewild

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And hope that Virtanen, Boeser, Lockwood, Demko, and the few top prospects we do have to ALL turn out.  We need more top prospects! 

Lockwood is not one of our top prospects. He's a prospect that has looked good so far this year, but he's not one of our best. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hate to break it to you, but WE ARE TANKING.  Sure, it's not on purpose, but we are 28th out of 30.  

Are you sure this is not a calculated tank. Have you watched the decisions WD makes. Why is our shut down center playing on the right side of the twins? Burrows is playing very well this year but has not had a sniff on their line.  Eriksson was brought in to play with them but is on the third line. 

29 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

Bro I know what your saying and don't take this as a diss or anything cuz I respect ur comment but... When has a top pick come out of the whl? Unless I'm forgetting someone. Plus numerous scouts like Craig button (who ranked boeser 9th in his draft year) say he's not elite but that he can produce like RNH

Hmm, you mean the same Craig Button that said, “If you’ll remember, I told you a few years ago that these three drafts would produce four franchise centres — [Connor] McDavid, [Jack] Eichel, [Auston] Matthews and Nolan Patrick. I’m wrong on lots of things. I’m not going to be wrong on this. Nolan is a franchise centre with the attributes that speaks to. He’s an offensive catalyst who can score and create and grind. He’s a leader and he’s the backbone of a franchise.” (from: http://www.tsn.ca/patrick-poised-to-be-the-next-great-nhl-prospect-1.513469)

Are you kidding me? Patrick needs to work on his skating, which has been shown time and time again can be improved on (I.e horvat, sedins, Tavares) 

The canucks line up next with Patrick and boeser would rejuvenate the city and bring some positivity to this team

sedin-sedin-eriksson

baertschi-horvat-boeser

virtanen-sutter-Patrick 

hansen-granlund-Dorsett

Gaunce

edler-tanev

hutton-gudbranson

tryamkin-stetcher

pedan-biega

Patrick would do more for this team then any other UFA available this summer. 

20 minutes ago, billabong said:

Are you kidding me? Patrick needs to work on his skating, which has been shown time and time again can be improved on (I.e horvat, sedins, Tavares) 

The canucks line up next with Patrick and boeser would rejuvenate the city and bring some positivity to this team

sedin-sedin-eriksson

baertschi-horvat-boeser

virtanen-sutter-Patrick 

hansen-granlund-Dorsett

Gaunce

edler-tanev

hutton-gudbranson

tryamkin-stetcher

pedan-biega

Patrick would do more for this team then any other UFA available this summer. 

Put a center at wing. Great development strategy buddy...

1 hour ago, orcasgonewild said:

No his max was 56. I just don't see the point in tanking unless you know ur getting a superstar like mcdavid eichel or laine

I dont see the point of scratching and clawing our way through the season to just to narrowly miss the playoffs, or make it in and be quickly shown the exit. That does the future of the team no good. Even a non-generational player like Patrick would be much more beneficial than that.

Realistically the Canucks need to "tank" this year and probably for the next couple of years after this one too in order to get enough high end prospects to become a consistent cup contender. That is the ultimate goal is it not? The cup should be the goal anyway, not just being a speedbump for the real contenders.

2 hours ago, orcasgonewild said:

I think u forget that Horvat plays with third liners. And the defence he plays with isn't exactly offensive aside from Stecher.

So who are the first or second liners he should be playing with? Where is this premium talent we can place on a line with him? Sutter? LOL... Eriksson? Every day I become more convinced that his production in Boston was a byproduct of having scoring depth on that team, more so than him being a difference maker.... 2nd Line centers NEVER play with elite talent... Unless the center themself is quite underwhelming... Do both Sidney Crosby and Malkin get good linemates? It just so happens that neither of them get good linemates... Forget both though, that's a pipe dream. The more respect you give Horvat, the more you have to discount who he plays with, it means less.... He should be able to produce at a high level regardless.... Especially with good team systems and coaching... If a player isn't able to do that, then clearly they aren't as good as you think... Horvat is young and will show some improvement over his career, but don't let 16 points in 26 games get you all hyped up about "1st line ceiling"... First line ceiling is OBVIOUS, I don't need to name all the young players in this league who will obviously produce 60-65+ points consistently over their career.. Horvat hasn't shown  that yet... Don't even try to claim he has....

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

Are you sure this is not a calculated tank. Have you watched the decisions WD makes. Why is our shut down center playing on the right side of the twins? Burrows is playing very well this year but has not had a sniff on their line.  Eriksson was brought in to play with them but is on the third line. 

Let's be honest... Willie is just that stupid.

I think that is what I was getting at. However I will bet you that management wonders whether a coaching change will help much. Willie does some weird things but the talent is just not there yet.

Demko was outstanding again tonight. He has been limiting opposition to 2 or less .

Virtanen scored .

Subban scored and Pedan played well.

McEneny is starting to look promising. Big kid and very mobile.

Fans that want this team to tank care about this teams future

A tank is coming sooner or later, and I would rather have it now.

We need a high round draft pick (Top 3, preferably 1) to lead this team along with Horvat once the Sedins are gone.

If we don't get one soon, expect our team to be in the bottom of the standings for season when the Sedins are gone.

The Sedins and Horvat line are really our only lines producing.

I'm not a fan of the tank, but there will be many great things for our future if we get a high pick.

Look at players like Laine, McDavid and Matthews, they are making a huge difference towards their team.

Imagine our team with Nolan Patrick

Virtanen-Patrick-(A trade or another high 1st round pick)

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

(A trade or 1st round pick)-Granlund-Rodin 

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Juolevi - Stecher 

Hutton - Gudbranson 

Pedan - Tryamkin 

Markstrom

Demko

What do you guys think of this line up?

29 minutes ago, billabong said:

A lot of young centres start their career on the wing buddy 

Galchenyuk is prime example and it didn't seem to hurt him

So we just put Patrick at wing because some centres start out as wingers?

Okay then...

Archived