The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Viola Desmond to be on the $10 bill starting 2018

thejazz97

8 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I think this symbol is a damn fine way of respecting Canadian heritage.  Much of post-Confederation heritage has been the struggle to attain freedom and happiness.  Viola Desmond overcame this struggle and is a story worth celebrating.

She over came this struggle by leaving Canada and moving to the US.... is that something really worth celebrating?

4 hours ago, Dral said:

She over came this struggle by leaving Canada and moving to the US.... is that something really worth celebrating?

Ehh... no... and you do have a point there, but that makes Desmond's story more tragic than anything.  Makes Canada seem even worse than the USA regarding civil rights.

9 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Ehh... no... and you do have a point there, but that makes Desmond's story more tragic than anything.  Makes Canada seem even worse than the USA regarding civil rights.

Yeah, its pretty tragic alright... I would definitely feel better about having her on a bill if she stayed in Canada and actually fought to improve civil rights in our country... in the end I can't blame her for leaving, I would probably do the same... but I don't think she deserve to be on the bill

We have coins that Canadian's call loonies and twoonies, a picture of a fish boat, and a picture of a two masted sailboat, but people are getting wound up because the picture of a an actual person is getting swapped for the picture of another actual person?......... modern problems.

21 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Because it appears to be arbitrarily done with minimal rhyme or reason.  

I don't mind if she appeared in some limited run, special edition coins/bills whatever, but to simply change up because they want to be PC is just stupid.  

If they want to put someone new on the bill, it has to be someone who changed the face of Canada or achieved something heroic.  I'm expecting something along the line of Louis Riel or someone with that level of greatness.  Viola Desmond.... we all know she's under-the-radar, but she just doesn't hold a candle to many other candidates.  To use a Canucks analogy, she would be the equivalent of retiring Alex Burrows's number..... he's a good player, with big impact on the franchise, but not quite up there with Linden, Naslund, Smyl, Bure, and Henrik/Daniel (when they do retire).  

Burrow's number  should be retired!  You are against the French too!?   lol

On 2016-12-09 at 0:32 AM, Lancaster said:

Why not the great Aboriginal leader Tecumseh?  How about Douglas Jung, the first Chinese-Canadian elected to office, who also served in WW2?

Or the war hero Billy Bishop with 72 confirmed kills in WW1.... only some French dude and the Red Baron eclipsed his totals.

Maybe even Ezekiel Hart, the first Jewish individual elected in Lower Canada and the British realm?

I guess Black is the fashionable colour currently. 

None of these would have been considered as they are all males. The Bank of Canada was looking for a woman to be on the 10.

It's pretty patheltic that almost every negative reaction to this has been suggestions of other men to be put on the money. 

here is a brief run down of the other women that were short listed. ( thanx cbc )

On 09/12/2016 at 10:44 AM, S'all Good Man said:

Well I suppose history happens at its own pace. Sure we could put a 150 year limit on it if that made any sense. Time can wash away the sense of a true person as well tho, and John A did some nasty stuff. I actually like the fact that we can hear from people that knew this person and how she effected things positively. 

Opposition to this just gets weirder for me give the fact that John A is getting a higher number bill !! (http://www.moneysense.ca/news/sir-john-a-macdonald-canadas-money/)

King certainly should never be taken out. The PM of Canada during WW2. His victory speech was a wonderful speech. 

8 hours ago, otherwise said:

None of these would have been considered as they are all males. The Bank of Canada was looking for a woman to be on the 10.

It's pretty patheltic that almost every negative reaction to this has been suggestions of other men to be put on the money. 

here is a brief run down of the other women that were short listed. ( thanx cbc )

Yeah I guess with QEII likely soon to be leaving us and likely Charles mug ending up on the 20 there had to be a female on one of the bills to placate all the SJWs out there. Hell I really don't care that it's a woman, but A, I had never heard of this woman until this thread, probably half of the voters as well, and B, There are better female candidates. 

On 09/12/2016 at 0:21 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

No argument there, Don.

As I said, MacDonald had positive influence as well as negative and I had no issue with his previous inclusion on Canadian currency. However, certain people in this discussion are acting as if this is some sort of blasphemous action and that John A's replacement has done nothing worthy of the honor.

I disagree on both counts.

And why should it be anyone of those choices, rather than the one that was ultimately decided on? There were several candidates being considered, but Desmond was the one they chose. What makes your opinion any more valid than the people who made this decision?

If you're okay with any of these other candidates, then I guess it must follow that you aren't necessarily bothered by MacDonald's removal. So what is your real problem with this? You seem to have an issue with the choice because she's black.

LOL. Classic. When you don't have an argument, insinuate that they are racist.

It's really sad that you can't see this as abject tokenism. 

Not that I would expect any less. I mean, you think policies like gender quotas and affirmative action are positive ones, yet you have the gall to accuse others of being bigoted?  The irony.

If you were to ask 1000 random Canadians to name someone who represent Canada as a nation, I doubt any of them would name Viola Desmond, and that's the point. 

16 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

King certainly should never be taken out. The PM of Canada during WW2. His victory speech was a wonderful speech. 

They can be moved around though, different bills, different stamps, etc. None of this is fixed as "the way" to honour people. Adding in more missing history - and we have a lot of it in Canada - will require squeezing a few more folks on the bus. Its a good thing, imo. 

10 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Next thing my boy Justin let's get a Komkgata Mary's on the 20. And while we are at a Chinese rail road worker on the 50.

On the 100 let's have black and Muslim refugees.

Lets just agree to make everything money related a big green fat white guy from Alberta and we'll rub his belly until he farts nickels for us.

Everything else can be a stamp. 

48 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Lets just agree to make everything money related a big green fat white guy from Alberta and we'll rub his belly until he farts nickels for us.

Everything else can be a stamp. 

As a loyalist I'd rather have the reigning monarch on all the front sides of the bills and have different people on the back side every issue like they do in the UK.

34 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

As a loyalist I'd rather have the reigning monarch on all the front sides of the bills and have different people on the back side every issue like they do in the UK.

As a person who never swore allegiance I'd prefer the fat Albertan - it makes as much sense to me as QE. But OK.

But seriously, I do think Canada needs to break from our colonial past, in some very symbolic ways like this, in order to move forward on a number of social issues. QE is great and all, but really what have they "done" for Canada? Not much. 

2 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

Canada should no longer be part of the monarchy. A monarchy is a joke, Canada should immediately stop paying into it. In fact we pay more per capita than any other Country. No pics, no songs, no nothing with regards to the so called royals. 

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

As a person who never swore allegiance I'd prefer the fat Albertan - it makes as much sense to me as QE. But OK.

But seriously, I do think Canada needs to break from our colonial past, in some very symbolic ways like this, in order to move forward on a number of social issues. QE is great and all, but really what have they "done" for Canada? Not much. 

Meanwhile Canada has given a lot of lives for them..

+1 for you.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Canada should no longer be part of the monarchy. A monarchy is a joke, Canada should immediately stop paying into it. In fact we pay more per capita than any other Country. No pics, no songs, no nothing with regards to the so called royals. 

Couldn't agree more. We'd have to solve a bit of an issue gov't-wise re: the GG but other former colonies have done it. If people want to follow it and feel associated with it they will, but its time is done. 

Archived