The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

DPS hearing for Oleksiak, hit similar to Kadri's

Mackcanuck

This does not look any different than the Kadri hit on Daniel, actually Kadri's was worse! yet there is a hearing on this one

NHL Player Safety ‏@NHLPlayerSafety  14h14 hours ago

Dallas’ Jamie Oleksiak will have a hearing tomorrow for an illegal check to the head on Philadelphia’s Chris VandeVelde.

giphy.gif

It's not an identical hit, but it's similar. Oleksiak's elbow looks like it comes up... but the replay isn't great.

Kadri's getting himself a cute little rep, it's just a matter of time before someone goes out of their way to destroy him and we really get to watch the true colours of the DoPS.

6 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Not the exact same hit. Look how much higher Oleksiak hits compared to how much of Sedin's body Kadri connected with:

kadri.png

Kadri is basically sitting in Daniel's lap when he hits him.

No call.

@189lb enforcers? 

pause that at the 2 second mark and Oleksiak sure looks to be 'sitting in his lap'.

Thanks and good job posting.

This will be an interesting ruling.

When I played, I also got screwed with elbow penalties and stuff because I was tall.

IMO, the shooter, in both cases, has to be aware that following-through with the shot will twist you into a vulnerable position to receive a hit, one that SHOULD be expected. Not anymore.

It used to really bug me when the NHL started accepting the Sedin model of turning and offering your ass to the opponent to have them stop laying a clean hit, forcing the checker to "let up".

I'm a bit biased when it comes to taking hitting out of the game to the point where in both of theses hits, the shooter obviously felt entitled to completely follow through with a shot. The game is changing to take any intimidation out of the game. These hits prove it. You folks may like it, but I sure miss watching players misplay the puck knowing they were in a 6'7 Dman's cross path. Predatory hits mean different things these days due to head injuries and lawyers. I will not shell out my 200 a ticket to watch shiny hockey.

10 minutes ago, luckylager said:

It's not an identical hit, but it's similar. Oleksiak's elbow looks like it comes up... but the replay isn't great.

Kadri's getting himself a cute little rep, it's just a matter of time before someone goes out of their way to destroy him and we really get to watch the true colours of the DoPS.

This is where I miss the old NHL. 

Old school knuckle draggers would have taken care of kadri ages ago. 

Brash would have caved his eye socket in. 

5 minutes ago, Rocky Balboa said:

This is where I miss the old NHL. 

Old school knuckle draggers would have taken care of kadri ages ago. 

Brash would have caved his eye socket in. 

meh.

enforcers fought enforcers in the "old school knuckle dragger" NHL.

no self-respecting enforcer would have squared off with a Kadri.

what would have happened - one team's enforcer would wind up fighting the other team's enforcer, and the "rat"/cheap shot artist ie Ken Linseman wouldn't necessarily have to answer any bell.

so I can't say I agree with you - that's not how I remember the NHL.  and therein lies a large part of the problem, rats could hind behind enforcers in the past, and nowadays, they're still free to run cheap shots and if a team intends to exercise some form of payback, they get a special visit from DOPS instructing them that the Leafs are untouchable.

8 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Thanks and good job posting.

This will be an interesting ruling.

When I played, I also got screwed with elbow penalties and stuff because I was tall.

IMO, the shooter, in both cases, has to be aware that following-through with the shot will twist you into a vulnerable position to receive a hit, one that SHOULD be expected. Not anymore.

It used to really bug me when the NHL started accepting the Sedin model of turning and offering your ass to the opponent to have them stop laying a clean hit, forcing the checker to "let up".

I'm a bit biased when it comes to taking hitting out of the game to the point where in both of theses hits, the shooter obviously felt entitled to completely follow through with a shot. The game is changing to take any intimidation out of the game. These hits prove it. You folks may like it, but I sure miss watching players misplay the puck knowing they were in a 6'7 Dman's cross path. Predatory hits mean different things these days due to head injuries and lawyers. I will not shell out my 200 a ticket to watch shiny hockey.

Those are fair points. I love bone crushing hits in hockey, but it sucks when people get injured as a result. That's the way it goes though. It's a tough sport. Just ask Larsen. I know lawyers have been involved in some lawsuits, but they are going to pop up anywhere so I don't see them as the issue. The reason some of these hits shouldn't be in the game is simple: science has caught up with the game to the point where we can prove the brain turns to mush after concussions. 

Leaving the game intact while protecting the players at the same time is a tricky thing to manage.

6 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Yeah, but not as much as Kadri was. Oleksiak got more head/opposite shoulder, perhaps even chest, whereas Kadri contacted the upper body from Sedin's hip up. 

I think there is a similar appearance, and that Kadri really just brushed by the body - and still got principally the head.  Oleksiak's from the right angle probably looks very comparable - at least from the angle shown, when you pause it at the right moment, you see the same effect of sitting in his lap.  Did Oleksiak get slightly less lap?  Probably, but imo these are far too skin of the teeth to be distinguishing them that much - they are essentially the same hit.

9 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Those are fair points. I love bone crushing hits in hockey, but it sucks when people get injured as a result. That's the way it goes though. It's a tough sport. Just ask Larsen. I know lawyers have been involved in some lawsuits, but they are going to pop up anywhere so I don't see them as the issue. The reason some of these hits shouldn't be in the game is simple: science has caught up with the game to the point where we can prove the brain turns to mush after concussions. 

Leaving the game intact while protecting the players at the same time is a tricky thing to manage.

I'm the first to admit that I'm a traditionalist. I'm the guy who loves Don Cherry, most of the time.

I grew up in a hockey environment and wasn't good enough to keep going on with my friends. The only reason I go watch the Canucks is to meet up with folks from visiting teams. The game I love is nearly unrecognizable and will be a cave drawing soon. Other people can pay to support the empathy hockey where they get a danger-free workplace like anywhere else. I still have rugby and fishing. When I see mouth guards on fish and rugby with helmets, I will turn to football.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I think there is a similar appearance, and that Kadri really just brushed by the body - and still got principally the head.  Oleksiak's from the right angle probably looks very comparable - at least from the angle shown, when you pause it at the right moment, you see the same effect of sitting in his lap.  Did Oleksiak get slightly less lap?  Probably, but imo these are far too skin of the teeth to be distinguishing them that much - they are essentially the same hit.

They are close to the same hit. I never argued otherwise, simply responded to Mack saying they weren't identical, and I believe Oleksiak's is worse, not the other way around. One of the things I look at when judging a hit is how the player's body responds post contact. When you watch Daniel being hit he timbers over like a tree, whereas Vandevelde's head snaps back first and his body follows. The differing body mechanics as a result of impact are dead giveaways. 

No matter how much someone tries to refute the differences, the answers appear to be in the physics.

15 minutes ago, Green Building said:

They are close to the same hit. I never argued otherwise, simply responded to Mack saying they weren't identical, and I believe Oleksiak's is worse, not the other way around. One of the things I look at when judging a hit is how the player's body responds post contact. When you watch Daniel being hit he timbers over like a tree, whereas Vandevelde's head snaps back first and his body follows. The differing body mechanics as a result of impact are dead giveaways. 

No matter how much someone tries to refute the differences, the answers appear to be in the physics.

I don't disagree.  I think the physics are slightly different - as is the fact that VandeVelde is 190 to Oleksiak's 260lbs - which will tend to produce a more dramatic impact.

the other factor that I think is lost - Kadri is a repeat cheap shot artist.

10 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Two 185lbers colliding vs a 250lber anda shrimp.

I think Kadris hit was fine. Sedin could have stayed square but was sat back on his haunches and was not poised to receive. This should not be a stop sign for Kadri. Kadri hit him square as he could and went right through him, eventually Sedin folded onto the shoulder like an accordion. If Sedin was planning to take shot, he'd have known here his check was coming from and that he was ill-prepared to receive a hit. You have to have been there yourself, at full speed, to fairly comment on either side.

This monster's hit was a Kenworth hitting a Honda. That's what happens. I wonder what precedent the league hands down on big guys doing the cross.

7 minutes ago, Green Building said:

The head snapping back could be a result of a player seeing the hit at the last second and trying to avoid it. The head not snapping back could be a result of a player not seeing the hit at all. I don't think that should be used as a criterion as we see players head snapping with no contact whatsoever.

Archived