The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] One signing many cups

3 hours ago, Pears said:

If he gets to free agency that is. I personally think there's a better chance he'll make it to July 1 unlike Stamkos had. And quite frankly, I think we'd have a pretty good shot at him too since we need that top center as previously mentioned. 

Give him whatever he wants. We can up his salary too, the OP has us resigning the twins at 3 mil a piece, don't do that and we could offer Tavares the most he will see at FA.  Gotta give it a real shot. If Tavares did sign here, we will be back on track. 

The Islanders just need to sort out their defensive structure and goaltending (likely solved when Sorokin crosses over). And once their "ice quality" is solved as well, they'll be fine.

Basically, they'll pony up to keep Tavares. The only Canadian club that could conceivably go after him is the Canucks (Ottawa doesn't have the internal cap to bid), as Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, and Montreal have their #1 center's already. However, if I'm Tavares and I'm not extending in New York, why would I come to a worse team then the one I'm leaving?

9 hours ago, orcasgonewild said:

I actually agree with you on the Gudbranson thang. He's gonna try to squeeze out a huge amount of dollar. I just hope the canucks don't give him the 5 mil he's asking for and get him to lower. Cuz he hasn't shown much. Id even go to an arbitrator 

I'd rather Benning admits to his mistake and lets him go, I had such high hopes for this guy before the season. Unfortunately, he hasn't done anything that he was supposed to bring to this team. Possibly deadline deal material.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

The Islanders just need to sort out their defensive structure and goaltending (likely solved when Sorokin crosses over). And once their "ice quality" is solved as well, they'll be fine.

Basically, they'll pony up to keep Tavares. The only Canadian club that could conceivably go after him is the Canucks (Ottawa doesn't have the internal cap to bid), as Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, and Montreal have their #1 center's already. However, if I'm Tavares and I'm not extending in New York, why would I come to a worse team then the one I'm leaving?

Doesn't the Tavares family have ties to the Lacrosse culture in Vancouver?  I think he has family here.  Plus, he could be a star in the third largest Canadian market.  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Doesn't the Tavares family have ties to the Lacrosse culture in Vancouver?  I think he has family here.  Plus, he could be a star in the third largest Canadian market.  

Majority of my family and all of my wife's family lives in Vancouver, and we have zero desire to live there. I'm sure Tavares has closer ties in New York at this point than he does in Vancouver.

Just now, Monty said:

Majority of my family and all of my wife's family lives in Vancouver, and we have zero desire to live there. I'm sure Tavares has closer ties in New York at this point than he does in Vancouver.

That's you though Monty, and that's fine for you, but we are discussing Tavares.  He's a star player, who is heading to UFA status.  He has family in .Vancouver.  Vancouver is always voted as the greatest Canadian city, and one of the best cities in the world, especially for those who can afford our lifestyle.  I see him choosing Vancouver over other places just for the city, it's location, and it's beauty.  

Just now, Alflives said:

That's you though Monty, and that's fine for you, but we are discussing Tavares.  He's a star player, who is heading to UFA status.  He has family in .Vancouver.  Vancouver is always voted as the greatest Canadian city, and one of the best cities in the world, especially for those who can afford our lifestyle.  I see him choosing Vancouver over other places just for the city, it's location, and it's beauty.  

Lucic had family ties here, too. Far stronger than Tavares, who's family is far closer to him in Ontario.

So if adult men (ie: Tavares) made decisions on what was best for their careers, based solely on family proximity, then wouldn't you think that being as close to Ontario would be the best option for him?

But again, grown ups don't make decisions for their careers based soley on this now, do they.

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Lucic had family ties here, too. Far stronger than Tavares, who's family is far closer to him in Ontario.

So if adult men (ie: Tavares) made decisions on what was best for their careers, based solely on family proximity, then wouldn't you think that being as close to Ontario would be the best option for him?

But again, grown ups don't make decisions for their careers based soley on this now, do they.

You already pointed out there is no other Canadian city that is a fit for Johnny T.  

Don't you want us to get him?

Just now, Alflives said:

You already pointed out there is no other Canadian city that is a fit for Johnny T.  

Don't you want us to get him?

:lol: 

Just because no other Canadian team is a fit, that doesn't mean he should make a stupid decision and settle for a team in complete disarray. He'd be better off going to New Jersey or Arizona before playing in Vancouver.

1 minute ago, Monty said:

:lol: 

Just because no other Canadian team is a fit, that doesn't mean he should make a stupid decision and settle for a team in complete disarray. He'd be better off going to New Jersey or Arizona before playing in Vancouver.

Ya, he most likely stays in Jersey.  

4 hours ago, ice orca said:

Sounds like the Stamkos thing not too long ago..we all know how that played out.

No way, this situation is way different. Stamkos was on a good stanely cup contending team and Taveres is not and has been waiting for Snow to build the NYI for far too long

23 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

No way, this situation is way different. Stamkos was on a good stanely cup contending team and Taveres is not and has been waiting for Snow to build the NYI for far too long

Just watch how it plays out, he is not coming to the Canucks.

6 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Give him whatever he wants. We can up his salary too, the OP has us resigning the twins at 3 mil a piece, don't do that and we could offer Tavares the most he will see at FA.  Gotta give it a real shot. If Tavares did sign here, we will be back on track. 

Yea. This is all part of a plan Linden and Benning have to go on a run in 2019 IMO. I think the Sedins will take a one year discount to help Benning get the pieces necessary to do so. 

14 hours ago, orcasgonewild said:

I actually agree with you on the Gudbranson thang. He's gonna try to squeeze out a huge amount of dollar. I just hope the canucks don't give him the 5 mil he's asking for and get him to lower. Cuz he hasn't shown much. Id even go to an arbitrator 

Yeah but Jim Benning... He doesn't sign players to atrocious contracts to be fair, but he never gets a bargain.

Archived