The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Sedin Twins, Art Ross Winners

Johnny Torts

8 hours ago, Tystick said:

I think management just lets them do what they want.

If they're not scoring their ice-time is cut down though, they don't get a free ride.

I feel you though @Johnny Torts, they're so frustrating sometimes.

Especially Hank.

Too many times he's had chances to score in the slot, and decides to do a spin pass too his brother for a sharp angle shot :angry:

Hank has frustrated me at times his entire career...That he wouldn't shoot more. Watching those two obliterate the field in skills competition years ago..Making saucer pass after saucer pass into a tiny little designated area blew my mind..Quick hard passess too..Made me think at the time why don't they just pass it into the net? And then rebounds could be passed back until play is stopped or they score.

10 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

Huh? One less pass, one extra shot

second quote - shoot more

thats not contradicting myself grab a dictionary, "bud"

OH HEY, nice try though! Dang 12 year olds. 

In one quote you say 1 less pass, 1 extra shot.

The next quote you say they need to shoot a lot more

Which is it? The occasional extra shot or many more shots per game?

That is why I say you're contradicting yourself.  Help me understand.

And if it means anything at this point, I'm not 12.

14 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

Before reading, I love our Twins and they already have their place in the rafters for me.

IMHO, this is gone way too far. They ditched their no-look pass - slap pass game for a cycle game. They adapted, because teams were catching on. Now, they continue to waste 1st line shifts by doing what opponents predict they will do, cycle for a perfect pass. 

Who has had too much respect for the Twins? Management? Coaching? Why are these two not accountable for their actions? 

2 seconds left in a game and you are left passing the puck around when the buzzer goes off? Cut their minutes. I understand they aren't paid 7 a peice to sit but they aren't paid 7 to make pretty passes either. They're paid to help us win and their job is to score.

What a dirty shot by hank tonight against the Ducks in OT ( Dec.30.2016 ). Great goal. So filthy that no one knew it went in.

These two need to start shooting a lot more. I want my two favourite players to win a cup or die trying because this is what  they would do. 

So, are the Sedins disobeying their coach? Or is the coach not holding his players accountable? It is ALWAYS about the logo in the front and not the name on the back of the jersey. 

Reason for Edit: CDC, I really love these two. Great smile, amazing character guys. Best men In pro sports. I feel like I was dogging on them but that's not what this is about.

So what is it about?

The Sedins cycling IS known, but still is magic at times.  Are there too many passes at times?  Sure.

But there's something that can happen when a blistering shot misses and rings around the boards (and out).  The other team can then scoop up the puck and it becomes chances at the other end.  So more shots would be great, but keeping possession in the opponent's end isn't something to overlook.  Picking their spots is not just looking for the perfect play and passing till the cows come home as part of it.  It's also about NOT giving the puck up.  Pressuring.  Having the opponent's D chasing their tails.  It's pretty when it works but, even when it doesn't that doesn't mean a shot would have.

I'm content to let them do their thing.  When it works, it's magic.  When it doesn't, it doesn't. A shot may or may not have.

Hank leads the team in GWG.  And OT goals.And shot percentage.   Daniel in shots.  The stats don't lie.  I get it, you want more of that.  But it seems to be effective when the other team counts on them NOT shooting.  Or isn't really sure if/when they will.  I'm happy for you that you feel qualified to school the Sedins on the game of hockey, I'm just not convinced that you are.

I just want to see Hank and Danny hoist the stanley cup before they retire.

If not in Vancouver, Anywhere is fine....   OK not Calgary or Toronto.....

Seriously. these are by far the best 2 Canucks all time. 

Total class.

If they want to hoist a cup i would be happy to see it happen pretty much anywhere.

Both Hank and Danny have carried this team on their backs  now for 10 years. 

On 30/12/2016 at 9:55 PM, Johnny Torts said:

Before reading, I love our Twins and they already have their place in the rafters for me.

IMHO, this is gone way too far. They ditched their no-look pass - slap pass game for a cycle game. They adapted, because teams were catching on. Now, they continue to waste 1st line shifts by doing what opponents predict they will do, cycle for a perfect pass. 

Who has had too much respect for the Twins? Management? Coaching? Why are these two not accountable for their actions? 

2 seconds left in a game and you are left passing the puck around when the buzzer goes off? Cut their minutes. I understand they aren't paid 7 a peice to sit but they aren't paid 7 to make pretty passes either. They're paid to help us win and their job is to score.

What a dirty shot by hank tonight against the Ducks in OT ( Dec.30.2016 ). Great goal. So filthy that no one knew it went in.

These two need to start shooting a lot more. I want my two favourite players to win a cup or die trying because this is what  they would do. 

So, are the Sedins disobeying their coach? Or is the coach not holding his players accountable? It is ALWAYS about the logo in the front and not the name on the back of the jersey. 

Reason for Edit: CDC, I really love these two. Great smile, amazing character guys. Best men In pro sports. I feel like I was dogging on them but that's not what this is about.

:picard:

On 2016-12-31 at 6:49 AM, IBatch said:

Hank has frustrated me at times his entire career...That he wouldn't shoot more. Watching those two obliterate the field in skills competition years ago..Making saucer pass after saucer pass into a tiny little designated area blew my mind..Quick hard passess too..Made me think at the time why don't they just pass it into the net? And then rebounds could be passed back until play is stopped or they score.

:lol:

Good one. Pretend that the goal is their twin. we'd get 10x more shots!

Its difficult to criticize the twins, as the OP can see with the negative ratings. It was inevitable that they would decline in play. I blame more the management and luck for where we are. I know its hard work, but JB is who is paid well to know more than us, and to find the pieces. And if the Hockey Gods had any sense of fair play we would have gotten Laine to transition to our top line. Or Mathews or Eichel or even McDavid if Edmonton had had any kind of competent management during the last decade, they would not have  had yet another first pick.  Yeah couldve wouldve shouldve.

That said, I have noticed a few disturbing signs of their decline. They seem to rely on each other even more if thats possible, to the detriment of their linemates. What I mean is that they search for each other exclusively, sometimes making dangerous cross ice passes, many end up going the other way, even though there are other options. Also their defensive play, not the best already, has gotten almost embarrassing when in their own end. They make bad passes that sometimes are directly to the opponents more times than I like.

edit:  I really really really like them anyways. I feel like I was dogging on them but that's not what this is about.

Don't say anything negative about the twins or you'll be minused, abused by "mods", and banned from CDC! 

Pathetic. Don't show me pictures of their track record this year, they've obviously been shooting less than previous years. 

Idc if it's Sid, Ovie, or Senko. These two need better coaching, like the other players on this team. I'm stating it again if you were too busy minusing my OP to read the whole thing. 

As much as I've always had a great respect for the Sedins over the years their play has taken another big step back this season.

They look slower and weaker than ever and speed and strength definitely was never one of their strengths as well as their weak shots velocity but what worries me is that their play making abilities have deteriorated and they seem to give the puck away more than ever sometimes just on their own without pressure or an opponent taking the puck away.

Although they've showed some flashes of their previous selves this season it's becoming rarer and rarer they play at a high enough level to deserve the money and playing time they get.

Obviously in fairness this fairly useless Megna isn't a player that will help them at all he should be lucky to even be in the NHL a real head scratcher what WD is thinking again here but although they've looked better with Hansen and Sutter their play has still dropped regardless of who has been with them and it's noticeable. 

It's come to a point for me where I actually hope the Sedins decide to retire before their game drops to a level they're not proud of and the Canucks can move on with the saved cap money and pay a free agent or 2 who'll be younger, stronger and faster for the 1st line.

With some new younger, faster and stronger players to go with Horvat, Sutter, Baertschi, Eriksson along with Boeser, Lockwood, Virtanen and Gaudette and others this team will be able to move forward and change their identity to one that's more capable of beating any style of team on a more consistent basis.

Archived