The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

3rd worst goal differential in the league and tied for 2nd for most goals against.

bang up job :bigblush:

But the Canucks are tied in 17th for shots against per game at 30.3 (Arizona is the worst at 35.4 shots against per game) so they are at least average in that category.

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It's more like the parent club was so depleted with a declining core that younger players had no one in their way in getting promoted. Horvat skated a week or so in the AHL, Virtannen is just now playing there, Stecher, Trymakin and Hutton all went straight to the NHL. McCann was used to add defensive depth, Gaunce could still be getting AHL reps. 

Thats is a load of good young players who missed AHL time. The club might be better served by having these players dominate in the AHL, but think of how weak the Nucks would be without them.  

That's due to the void of any viable player being drafted for 6-8 years under two previous GM's, not JB. 

Green should be ecstatic that JB found Demko and signed Gartieg. Two young hotshot goalies that can steal them some games and might be good enough to get them a playoff berth. 

EW

Not like they would miss Guance if they sent him back to Utica to produce some offense.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Sutter on the 4th?

It would seem that way. 

I'd view it more as the 'checking line' though. They may very well get more minutes some games than the Granlund line. 

Edited by J.R.

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

Good point. Green was not complaining, but his comment is revealing. Utica has a serious lack of offensive talent, and that suggests that Benning has not done as good a job or rebuilding the prospect pipeline as we hoped he would. Yes, there is Boeser, but no other "blue chip" forward prospects in the system. Maybe some of the other 2014-2016 draft picks will break through next year. 

5 hours ago, lethal_spaghetti said:

Ye didn't sound at all like complaining but it defs shed a light on the fact that Utica hasn't really had a blue chip guy in a while. This season didn't help as well with as many injuries that we faced we took so many guys from Utica. As for the benning part a lot of those guys he drafted will be with Utica next year (hopefully).

Most of the players Benning has drafted are either still in junior, in college or already in the NHL.

That's not a 'failure'.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Analytic champions support you...

I hate to agree with the analitixzzz crowd but really, who do you remove from that top 9?

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen 

Rodin, Horvat, Burrows

Baer, Granlund, Eriksson

You could certainly swap Rodin and Baer.

And you could maybe make a case of moving Burr down (though IMO that would be a mistake as he's the catalyst on that line with Horvat).

Unless they play him with the twins on RW and put Hansen with Horvat, I don't see how he fits elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It's more like the parent club was so depleted with a declining core that younger players had no one in their way in getting promoted. Horvat skated a week or so in the AHL, Virtannen is just now playing there, Stecher, Trymakin and Hutton all went straight to the NHL. McCann was used to add defensive depth, Gaunce could still be getting AHL reps. 

Thats is a load of good young players who missed AHL time. The club might be better served by having these players dominate in the AHL, but think of how weak the Nucks would be without them.  

That's due to the void of any viable player being drafted for 6-8 years under two previous GM's, not JB. 

Green should be ecstatic that JB found Demko and signed Gartieg. Two young hotshot goalies that can steal them some games and might be good enough to get them a playoff berth. 

EW

Good point, Utica did lose quite a few players to the big club. And Demko and Gartieg are good. I still hope Utica can make the playoffs.

The guys who moved up to the Canucks -- Gaunce, Chaput, Megna, Stecher, now Pedan sitting in the press box -- they would help Utica a lot. But it is not like any of them are potential top 6 forwards. We still have a weak forward pipeline. Several posters are saying that is where JB will focus now. I just hope he is successful. We do need a good draft and JB's unwillingess to try to add draft picks worries me.

7 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

This year, injury coverage.  Next year, Burrows and perhaps Granlund to Vegas, but with Boeser hopefully taking one of those spots.

I personally think we lose 2 of Baer/Granlund/Rodin this summer.

One of them gets added to Tanev in trade for a young, top 6 upgrade. Another from expansion.

Trade, Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen/Boeser

Baer/Granlund/Rodin, Sutter, Boeser/Hansen

? ? ? , Gaunce, Dorsett 

I'm excited to see if Rodin can live up to the hype and then if we can manage to hang on to him through that. 

Edited by J.R.

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

One of them gets added to Tanev in trade for a young, top 6 upgrade. Another from expansion.

Trade, Horvat, Eriksson

? ? ? , Gaunce, Dorsett 

I'm excited to see if Rodin can live up to the hype and then if we can manage to hang on to him through that. 

Rodin is a UFA at the end of this season. If he does well he will probably want to move on to a more competitive team instead of being on a rebuilding team for his prime years.

I think they are trying to develop Baer-Horvat as a duo but that Baer will be moved if he does not meet the expectations they've set on him.  I don't see him staying on the team as a 3rd liner.

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, mll said:

Rodin is a UFA at the end of this season. If he does well he will probably want to move on to a more competitive team instead of being on a rebuilding team for his prime years.

I think they are trying to develop Baer-Horvat as a duo but that Baer will be moved if he does not meet the expectations they've set on him.  I don't see him staying on the team as a 3rd liner.

Maybe. But who will they replace him with? 

For the next year or two, they are just going to throw mud at the wall and see what sticks (out) with guys like Baertschi and Rodin and Boeser and Granlund and Gaunce. They would be wise to keep as many as possible. 

20 hours ago, lethal_spaghetti said:

Dang when Travis Green said that they havent had anyone of Baertschi or Rodin's talent level in a few years. Just stick around for a year Green help is coming.

But how could that be? Last year 90% of cdc cried bloody murder when Benning traded shinkaruk and his elite talent away.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Trade, Horvat, Eriksson

? ? ? , Gaunce, Dorsett 

Hopeful that Rodin is an upgrade on Baertschi, but Granlund might be a better pick for Vegas.  If that's how it goes and nothing else changes, we simply draft Nico Hischier to replace Granlund, then have a countryman C for Sven  B)

20 hours ago, JamesB said:

Good point. Green was not complaining, but his comment is revealing. Utica has a serious lack of offensive talent, and that suggests that Benning has not done as good a job or rebuilding the prospect pipeline as we hoped he would. Yes, there is Boeser, but no other "blue chip" forward prospects in the system. Maybe some of the other 2014-2016 draft picks will break through next year. 

Thats because Benning is building from the goalie out and to say he hasn't done a good job rebuikding our pipeline prospects is a uneducated comment. Benning has done more then any other GM here in decades either drafting quality prospects or trading picks for young talent like Baertschi. I think we will see  our new offensive forwards coming this year as well as next. He has a plan and I'm glad he's not listening to the advice on here.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Hopeful that Rodin is an upgrade on Baertschi, but Granlund might be a better pick for Vegas.  If that's how it goes and nothing else changes, we simply draft Nico Hischier to replace Granlund, then have a countryman C for Sven  B)

Yeah, I don't know which of the three we'll end up keeping. Rodin is tantalizing as he looks like he has a similar skillset to Baer but is less passive and a faster skater from my limited observation.

Enticing. 

But Baer has actually shown he can bring it at this level (albeit not consistently). The next few months should prove interesting between those two.

Granlund seems to play a more mature/2 way game and adds versatility of playing W or C. And while no slouch offensively, he's less dynamic than the other 2 IMO. 

Pretty sure one's gong to Vegas. Hopeful another nets an upgrade with Tanev. That leaves 1 to build with. 

(I'm hoping for either Hischier or Lilj myself::D )

Edited by J.R.